1999 Cobra Build -- Forged 5.0 Stroker w/ SC or Turbo

Bl4ckedoutc0bra

Established Member
The time has come for my baby – Penelope – to receive an engine rebuild, which is quite exciting. She’s a 1999 Mustang Cobra with only 53,000 miles on the clock and a good amount of suspension upgrades, full exhaust, etc. I was unfortunately running very low on oil (head gasket leak) and ended up with a bent rod and a lovely knocking sound. I knew I needed to get the head gasket fixed, but put it off for too long (busy with my business). Hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm upgrading to a forged short block from Muscle Motors Performance (MMP) and I'm having it installed by my good friend Danny at Ghost Motorsports. I'm hoping to have the car back this week.

After months of pondering, I have finally made my decision: 5.0 stroker short block with all forged internals which was assembled by Edios Rios of Muscle Motors Performance. I currently have a 4.6 DOHC Cobra motor, which came stock in the car, but I’m upgrading to the forged 5.0 stroker so I can match it with a nice supercharger or turbo kit in a few months. I'm debating on whether to snag a Whipple, Kenne Bell or turbo kit. Time will tell.

The short block houses a variety of goodies including:
* 03/04 Cobra Iron Block
* Manley Platinum Series Pistons (8.5:1 compression)
* Manley 4340 Forged “H” Beam Rods
* Kellogg 3.750 Stroke Crankshaft
* Federal Mogul Race Rod + Main Bearings
* Ford Racing 4.6 Romeo Iron Block
* Manley/Total Seal Plasma Moly File Fit Rings
* Fel-Pro gaskets all around

I also had some head work done, which will hopefully improve my numbers. Got a new water pump and other accessories to be safe.

What do you all think... Supercharger or turbo?

Also, is my damaged short block worth selling? I don't have the time to rebuild it and have no need for it, so I was thinking of putting it up for sale. Since the car is a 99, I believe the block is a Teksid block, which some of you may want. Any idea what the damaged short block is worth?

Please find a few photos of the build below and there will be more to come shortly.

-Aaron

ford-mustang-cobra.jpg

mustang-cobra-4v-shortblock.jpg

mustang-cobra-4v-shortblock2.jpg

Adam01Snake

Capitalism is Boss
Established Member
That car's gonna be BEAST! Congrads!

IF It were me and I had unlimited funds I'd look at a 2.1L Kenne Bell Supercharger to slap on that bad boy, this is just my opinion, I guess its more about what you plan to do with your car and personal preference!

This is what I'd do if I won the lottery :)

-Adam

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
with that low of a compression i would go with a T/S but that's just me.. great build though

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I vote turbo. If there is no damage to the block then its worth selling to recoup some of your expenses. It should sell fast in the market section. Same goes for the crank, its a forged piece that can handle 1000hp, if there is no damage someone will want it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread