1998 Mustang Cobra cranks, but won't start

Doc Mayhem

Established Member
I finally finished cleaning up all the snow and went to start the Mustang since I hadn't for a few months, because I was just too busy and the battery was mostly dead. It barely cranked. Threw the charger on and after a few hours car cranks over fine, but won't start, not even catching a little. This is a 1998 Cobra with 26,000 miles and a stock engine, except for a K&N filter, Ford Racing plug wires, x-pipe, and a Magna pack cat back. This car has always been reliable and running in this configuration for over a year, ran fine when I last drove it, and it is my bad for not starting it for 4 months. It is not the inertia switch in the trunk and I believe I hear the fuel pump kick on when the key is turned. It sounds like the pump runs for a few seconds and stops, I assume that is priming and running as it should. The car is always in a garage and never sees rain etc. I haven't checked for a spark, my garage is small and it is cold out, and haven't had time to look any deeper.
Did some sensor die, no codes are being thrown. Nothing has changed other than sitting in an attached garage that is not heated, but part of the house, so not freezing. What should I look at. Am I a bone head and the fuel went bad? It has half a tank and it has been fine sitting the garage during the winter over the last 4 years.

Thanks in advance.
-Doc

97cobra...

Established Member
My cobra after sitting for a few months also wouldn't start its a pain but just keep trying and it will start eventually

sent from tapatalk2 while driving no lesson learned

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
First, is the theft lamp flashing fast when you turn the key on? If so you gave a PATS issue. If not, try hold the throttle all the way to the floor while cranking, don't pat the gas. WOT will cancel injector pulse is allow flooded fuel to pump out. If it starts to fire to run take your foot off and it should start and clear up

Users who are viewing this thread