1998 mustang 4.6 2v engine replacement options?

Scottyk

Established Member
Im not really familiar with these engines and the different vehicles that they come in so hopefully someone can help me out here. I am replacing the engine in a 1998 GT mustang and I cant find a engine local from the same year/model of car. Dont want to spend alot of money on this fix so Im looking for a direct replacement "no tuning involved"

So what vehicle/years would use a similar engine? Crown Vic, explorer, etc..?

Thanks, Scott K

dart454twinturb

Established Member
Your best bet and to get the best bang for your buck is to put a motor from an 03-04 crown vic, mercury murauder, or lincoln town car all of which have the PI 4.6 with the 6 bolt crank the 1998 mustang gt's have. So you will get the PI heads and cams as well as intake. There are a few little things you will have to swap over or modify a little but you can pick up one of those motors for 500 bucks with 70-80k on them if not cheaper.

Scottyk

Established Member
Thanks for the reply, the freind with this car is still on the fence about what to do with it because he is on a serious budget so I am trying to help him with the most cost effective alternative. If it was my car I would be upgrading it but its stock now and he wants it to stay stock and cheap so Id like to find a identical engine to be a straight swap

Users who are viewing this thread