1998 ford mustang svt cobra

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
Hello Team - I am shopping for a 1998 COBRA and ran across someone selling one close to home. Wanted to get some sdvice whether this is a good deal or not. The following are some mods he has added to the car:

BBK Long tube headers

BBK H-pipe w/cats

MAC Performance cat back w/2.5 tips (new)

Energy Suspension red urethane motor & trans. mounts (new)

PRO 5.0 shifter (new)

Pro Motion Performance T-45 transmission with carbon syncros (new) $1600.

Pro Motion Performance firewall adjust (new)

Ford Racing HD clutch & cable (new)

Ford Racing Aluminum driveshaft (new)

Ford Racing diff. cover (new)

Ford Racing 3.73 gears

M/M adj. upper/lower control arms

Eibach racing springs 1” lower (new)

Billstien shocks (new)

Russell steel braided lines

Moto-Blue underdrive pulleys (new)

Sean Hyland Racing SHR hi-vol. water pump (new)

BBK cold air intake (new)

Drilled slotted rotors (new)

EBC brake pads RED (new)

Granatelli Hi-Energy wires (new)

IN CHROME YELLOW (BZ COLOR CODE) WITH BLACK LEATHER. 1ST YEAR COBRA FORD EVER OFFERED IN YELLOW AND ONLY 704 MADE IN YELLOW WITH BLACK LEATHER. DOHC 4.6L 32V MOTOR WITH MILD ENGINE AND SUSPENSION UPGRADES. 18" ADR WHEELS WITH SUMITOMO DIRECTIONAL TIRES, DRILLED SLOTTED ROTORS, BILLSTIENS. ....CLEAN TITLE AND CARFAX.

It has 65K and he is asking 11K for the car. Waht do you think?

Wish4svts

Established Member
ADR wheels? Good miles and tasteful mods but I can't see paying 11k. Especially in this market, maybe 9- 9500 TOPS if even that!! Just my opinion though as I'm a little biased since compare other prices to what I paid for mine.

Some others will chime in I'm sure!

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
The price high but who lists their car at the actual price they want to get? Offer $8500 and go from there.

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
Thanks for your imput, I own a 09 GT500KR, but wanted to get a project Ford I can work with and not put a lot of money into. I think these cars are really cool.
Once again, thanks and I'll work this based on your input.
Happy Motoring,
DaShelby

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Thanks for your imput, I own a 09 GT500KR, but wanted to get a project Ford I can work with and not put a lot of money into. I think these cars are really cool.
Once again, thanks and I'll work this based on your input.
Happy Motoring,
DaShelby

What would you do with it if you did pick one up? DD or racer?

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
I have never understood car owners wanting to push down the value of their own cars. I would not take 11K for my car.

That being said, how clean is the car? Is the paint chip and dent free? Are you really attracted to yellow? What is the interior condition? Has the car ever been wrecked? Does he have maintenance records? Do you like the mods?
Bottom line if the car is super clean, you like the color, and it has been kept well I think 11k is no that far out of line.

ksigatmsu7f02

Established Member
I paid $8800 for mine right at a year ago with 73k. I'd have to see the car for sure but I would say it is very over priced. If you want perfection and this is it to you go ahead but for as little as half that or slightly more you can find average 97-98 Cobras.

mackj66

Established Member
If the car is perfect condition...I would say the price isn't that far off.
I wouldn't budge below 9500 if I was the seller. (Assuming the car is in excellent condition)

All the guys saying that you can get them for half that price.....well, I guess if you are willing to settle for an "average/medium mileage" or even "poor/high mileage" 12 year old condition car, you could find one pretty easily in that price range.

But, ideally, who the hell would really want an average or poor condition car. If money was an issue....a guy should save up for something in better condition.

Last edited:

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Nobody's saying it's not worth it, but in this market it could be had for a better price. $11 grand will get you a helluva car- keep that in mind.

LDC2335

Established Member
i'd pay it.

i paid 11,300 which was nada clean retail for my bone stock 96 vert w/ 42,000 miles last year.. they had it marked up at $13,900 so i did get them to come down some.

bottom line, i wanted the car so i paid it. If its THE car you want, do it.

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
Roger that LDC2335 et all...just want to get a feel for what I would get for the almighty dollar. The KR gets me down the long road, but a Cobra would be great locally... Plus I can upgrade and do some mods that are more economical.
I'm not real happy with the yellow color, the car has a positive carfax history report and all. bottom line just want to get input from those that have experience with these cars. Thanks for your inputs...
DaShelby

John4cam

Established Member
i'd pay it.

i paid 11,300 which was nada clean retail for my bone stock 96 vert w/ 42,000 miles last year.. they had it marked up at $13,900 so i did get them to come down some.

bottom line, i wanted the car so i paid it. If its THE car you want, do it.

The prices have come down drastically in one year.

I just sold my bab with 52k, polished vortech, gears, exhaust, ect. for 10k.

These cars just don't bring in the money anymore.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
Man I would love to get my hands on a clean low mile CY, but its just not worth 11K. I could see 9, I would pay 9 for that car if I had the money. Obviously, seeing as how you drive a KR, you're not strapped for cash, but there are better deals out there.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
The prices have come down drastically in one year.

I just sold my bab with 52k, polished vortech, gears, exhaust, ect. for 10k.

These cars just don't bring in the money anymore.

:cryying: i should have just waited and bought yours instead of mine.:cryying:

fcettner

DaShelby
Established Member
I'm going to check out the car. He sent me more pics and I don't know how to post em' for you all to check out, but sounds like he's willing to lower the price. Car looks in fantastic shape...mods installed recently, garage kept and all. I'm not fond of the yellow color though. I'll keep looking for a good deal.
Happy Motoring

Users who are viewing this thread