1998 cobra x-pipe/h-pipe tune question

Dontilgon

Established Member
The vehicle is completely stock and all I'm looking to do to it is put a X or H pipe. My question, will I need to have the vehicle tuned. I couldnt find a definitive answer. Thanks

Dontilgon

Established Member
Ok consensus show no so that's great but are you saying it will throw a code without adding the mil eliminators?

Dontilgon

Established Member
okay thanks. Any recommendations on going with a H or X. Again totally stock car with no plans on modifications aside from a aluminum driveshaft. From the research Ive done Im leaning towards H because more = X. Less power =H. Im I totally off. I know this always personal preference.

Dontilgon

Established Member
I see you have a 98 also, any chance you have a company recommendation. I would like stainless one piece but it seems no one makes them one piece

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
BBK is a pretty good one for a reasonable price. All depends on how much you want to spend really.

Dontilgon

Established Member
I have bbk on my 94 GT and to be honest ,I feel there workmanship as seriously diminished from back in the day. I don't feel there parts belong on a Cobra. From when I bought the car 94, it had a bbk on it and the quality was so much better than the new replacement BBK H-pipe. So I rather spend more for a stainless pipe with better workmanship (welds, fitness etc) Just not sure if something is out there

96GT226410

Established Member
I have bbk on my 94 GT and to be honest ,I feel there workmanship as seriously diminished from back in the day. I don't feel there parts belong on a Cobra. From when I bought the car 94, it had a bbk on it and the quality was so much better than the new replacement BBK H-pipe. So I rather spend more for a stainless pipe with better workmanship (welds, fitness etc) Just not sure if something is out there
I put a Bassani O/R X pipe on my 98 Cobra and it was very nice. I have a video of it paired with my stock exhaust, but I can't post it here. Maybe PM me if you're interested. I have since bought a tuner and don't need my plug in style MIL's if you're interested. They have worked great for me.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
X pipe + stock catback= poop emoji.
Seriously, it does not sound good at all. H pipe for stock catback.
Keep your eyes peeled for a stainless Offroad H

Dontilgon

Established Member
Or Maybe look for a stock H and hollow the cats out? Then you know fitment won't be an issue

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Pypes makes one for 96-98 GT, but I'm pretty sure the mounting is a hair different. Not by much, but enough to cause a small exhaust leak you will be chasing forever

Users who are viewing this thread