1998 Cobra 'Build' Thread

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Well, I figured i'm starting to gather enough parts to start a small build thread. This 'build' is mainly suspension related. I bought the car a while back, but also had a 1990 GT that I had for a long time and put a bunch of money into... the Cobra was supposed to be just a fun DD. I ended up selling the Fox in November 2013 and have been slowly gathering parts for the Cobra to make it a more fun DD.

Here's how the car sat when I bought it. 67k miles, paint is great, BONE stock down to the airfilter:

8354768595_da53b55350_n.jpg

Immediately took the bra off.

8695153355_c8e6984bff_n.jpg

Next on the list was an MGW short shifter:

14762923842_1dbd78c388_n.jpg

Then i decided to tackle the yellowed headlights, so i wet sanded them down and polished them up:

14576797147_fee455621d_n.jpg

The headlight lenses turned out great but I wanted something 'different' as far as the lights go. So i ordered some DDM tuning HIDs in blue/yellow combo:

11865541095_9507d883ae_n.jpg

Much better!

I liked the look of the headlights so much and thought it made the car look 'newer' i decided to do the LED trunk lights and the guages in LED as well:

12437195235_564c62ff84_n.jpg

I'll have to snap a pic of the trunk light but it turned out great!

After finding out my steering rack was leaking pretty badly, I replaced it with an 04 Cobra unit:

12491111833_2047b0f454_n.jpg

I also added Prothane rack bushings.

Wasn't too happy about having to spend money on a steering rack, but i'll always upgrade when the opportunity presents itself.

Next, as I the buyer of my Fox didn't want the Corbeau's, I finally put them in the Cobra. Might as well use them instead of letting them sit in the garage:

14763187005_90f98127bf_n.jpg

If they look purple, its because they sooooort of are. They were originally gray seats and i've just used fabric spray paint to paint them black... as they get used the paint fades a little to that. So i just need to respray them again to get them looking good.

At about this time I also did all 4 corners of the brakes, stainless steel brake lines and a brake fluid flush. AND, i didn't snap any pictures but i had the rear end rebuilt and FRPP 3.73's put in.

Of course, right after spending mucho bucks on the rear end and gears, my a/c went out. So, more money spent on not fun things, but with summer coming, i had no choice. The compressor, condenser and orifice tube were replaced. Now the a/c blows ice cold.

But, fun stuff still keeps coming. I ordered a set of Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors:

14576692807_d9119a611d_n.jpg

Nothing exciting to see, but they are in the box, lol.

Then, AM was having a sale so i picked up this 8" antenna:

14576721957_d9672406b0_n.jpg

Was like $9.50 shipped.

Then I started saving up for the 18x9/18x10 silver Saleen reps:

14576541538_3763d72240_n.jpg

They look great and i cant wait to get them installed. I want to wait till i get the car lowered before i do (plus i need tires),

So, to start getting parts gathered for the lowering of the Cobra, I ordered Maximum Motorsports rear springs, caster camber plates, ISO's, and a pinion snubber.

14576708667_b71fd036d8_n.jpg

Then my most recent purchase was the Maximum Motorsports adjustable LCA's:

14576700767_e3b27d5be1_n.jpg

So next on the list is Bilstein front struts and Hypercoil Coilover kit, and tires...

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

ZeroDCX

Established Member
It's looking good. Plan on ridding yourself of that classic 4x4 stance?

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Looks good man Great first choice Mod on the MGW shifter. Still running on the stock clutch?

Unfortunately yes, the stock clutch is still in. So far it doesnt seem to be slipping and since I don't race the car I haven't subjected her to any super hard launches/take offs. I'm planning on milking the clutch as long as I can, then do a McLeod clutch set up and probably go with a Maximum Motorsports quadrant. I'd like to go with an aluminum driveshaft as well, but we'll see how the budget looks.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
Looks like you've made a bunch of strong choices especially with Maximum Motorsports!
My daily driver is a 98 Cobra that I picked up recently for about half of blue book value. It had quite a few issues that I've been tackling one by one. I've recently been through a lot of the same things you have...

I did the steering rack (along with the MM aluminum rack bushings and MM solid steering shaft) and AC compressor. I also have the MM full length SFCs (not installed yet). I also picked up MM's adjustable clutch quadrant and clutch pedal adjuster kit because the pedal is ridiculously high on my car. Once I get a few mechanical things taken care of I'll be doing shocks/springs also. Mine still has the original shocks and springs with 130,000+ miles!

The PO used those damn piggy-back under drive pullies on the car and the crank pulley just came loose so I have to deal with this first.

SVTCOBRA9629

Established Member
Sounds good man. Like stated already you seem to be on the right track. Yeah in looking into the McLeod street/strip aswell. Not really needed till I start running slicks.

Mystic_Cobra

Established Member
In case I wasn't clear, these are two different cars. The coyote swap is my 96 Cobra, track car only. The 98 is my daily driver.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Nice list of parts man. I want the Maximum Motorsports coil over kit on Bilsteins so bad.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Sounds good man. Like stated already you seem to be on the right track. Yeah in looking into the McLeod street/strip aswell. Not really needed till I start running slicks.

Good choice. You'll love the pedal feel compared to stock.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Nice list of parts man. I want the Maximum Motorsports coil over kit on Bilsteins so bad.

You're telling me... i've been saving and waiting and saving and waiting for what seems like forever to get to THIS point... now I have to drop like $900 to get the Coilovers. Blah, money money money.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
But they ride and handle so much better than a spring in the control arm! Worth it.

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Well, can't decide if I should just order the rest of the parts needed, or wait for Labor Day and see if sales will be going on. I can get the two front Bilstein struts from AM for ~$425 right now, and the coilover kit from MM is $375. I doubt MM will have a sale but AM might. Then i'll need tires from Discount Tires but not sure if they have big Labor Day sales either...

What would you guys do... buy now? or wait for potential sale?

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Wait. Labor Day is only a few weeks away. You live in California, it's not like you're racing the fall/winter weather coming to get this all done :)

Last edited:

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Well, I am taking a road trip on the actual Labor Day weekend. From San Diego up to San Fran/Sacramento and back. My tires are pretty worn/slightly cracked so I was thinking it would be good peace of mind to have new tires for that trip. I don't want to buy the tires till the car is lowered (18" Saleens on a stock ride height Cobra would look silly). So it's either get everything done before or get everything done after, lol

Fox 5.0

Established Member
Damnit, trying to pull the trigger on the front struts and I just can't decide between Koni Yellows and Bilsteins!!

-Koni Yellows $343 for the pair
-Bilsteins $422 for the pair

Users who are viewing this thread