1997 Taurus 3.0L OHV: Headbolt specs?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ok, so Im tearing into my soon to be daily driver 1997 Ford Taurus. Has the 3.0L Vulcan OHV engine. Blown headgaskets. Ive got a new headgasket set and TTY headbolts.

Per the Haynes manual I picked up, its a four step tightening procedure listed as such.

initial torque to 52-66 ft/lbs
back off 360 degrees
torque back up to 34-40 footpounds
final torque step of 63-73

does this sounds correct? Also, are they saying for example: 52-66 that I should torque to 52 then up to 66 ft/lbs or anywhere from 52-66 ft/lbs is acceptable torque? Confusing to say the least.

Any help is appreciated. thanks!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Anywhere between 52-66ft/lbs is acceptable.

I believe they use the range due to the fact that the bolt torque on TTY and TTA bolts can actually vary between them even at the same ft/lbs rating. So they have a range that is acceptable for the variance in things like lubrication used, material and thread condition.

And the sequence above is correct from the Ford WSM.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Have those heads checked before install! Every single one I've torn apart for a blown head gaskets had cracked heads.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Anywhere between 52-66ft/lbs is acceptable.

I believe they use the range due to the fact that the bolt torque on TTY and TTA bolts can actually vary between them even at the same ft/lbs rating. So they have a range that is acceptable for the variance in things like lubrication used, material and thread condition.

And the sequence above is correct from the Ford WSM.
I appreciate the reply Kevin! Interesting tidbits about the torque specs. Head gasket job went off smoothly. The Mahle/Victor Reinz kit I used was very complete and the Mahle head bolts were of good quality.

Have those heads checked before install! Every single one I've torn apart for a blown head gaskets had cracked heads.
That was definitely a concern of mine. Maybe I lucked out but the heads both looked ok, with no discernible cracks or failures. That may change with a fresh head gasket lol, but I figure if I get a year or two out of this car as my daily (18 miles round trip per day), it was money well spent.

Users who are viewing this thread