1997 GT Terminator Swap

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
Im in the process of converting my power plant on my 1997 GT, over to a complete 2004 Cobra powerplant and transmission.

I am going to be using an 04 Cobra engine harness, and an ECU.
Will the engine harness plug into the main harness on my 97 GT? I know the PATS issue will come up, but aside from that Im hoping the engine harness is all I need, rather than the entire harness for the vehicle itself.

As for the heat exchanger, I already picked up the pump and exchanger. But, I have no lines or hoses...any way I can find an aftermarket production for the hoses/lines?

Any recommendations on fuel system? I'm hoping to use my stock GT fuel tank, and just upgrade the pump. Sufficient? if not any information will be awesome. Thanks.

Background:
As for the rest of the car, I already have a QA1 K member, A-arms, Bilstein front Struts w/ MMR coil over kit, Saleen racecraft front sway bar, end links, CC plates, rear Bilstein shocks, FRPP C springs (rear), 4:10 gears and 31-spline axles, UPR clutch quadrant, FRPP billet steel flywheel, new pilot and throwout bearings, front Cobra brakes, 13" rotors,.

Last edited:

badblacklx

Established Member
I think you will have to run interior harness also because of the different electronics behind the gauges in the 03s

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
Damn thats a hell of a conversion on the 94. My interior is intact. I plan to reuse my own cluster, and wire in a boost and A/F guage onto my A pillar. My new 04 cobra engine is coming complete with the engine wiring harness, transmission and transmission harness, ect. I wont have the entire car harness and really hope to avoid that harness swap.

19Mystic96

Established Member
Im in the process of converting my power plant on my 1997 GT, over to a complete 2004 Cobra powerplant and transmission.

I am going to be using an 04 Cobra engine harness, and an ECU.
Will the engine harness plug into the main harness on my 97 GT? I know the PATS issue will come up, but aside from that Im hoping the engine harness is all I need, rather than the entire harness for the vehicle itself.

As for the heat exchanger, I already picked up the pump and exchanger. But, I have no lines or hoses...any way I can find an aftermarket production for the hoses/lines?

Any recommendations on fuel system? I'm hoping to use my stock GT fuel tank, and just upgrade the pump. Sufficient? if not any information will be awesome. Thanks.

Background:
As for the rest of the car, I already have a QA1 K member, A-arms, Bilstein front Struts w/ MMR coil over kit, Saleen racecraft front sway bar, end links, CC plates, rear Bilstein shocks, FRPP C springs (rear), 4:10 gears and 31-spline axles, UPR clutch quadrant, FRPP billet steel flywheel, new pilot and throwout bearings, front Cobra brakes, 13" rotors,.

I've got OEM lines and hoses if you need them..

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
Status Update

So, as of now, I have the 03 Cobra engine, T56 transmission, engine harnesss, transmission harness, ECU harness, and ECU. Any other harness needed?

sn94cobra

Corn-aholic
Established Member
So, as of now, I have the 03 Cobra engine, T56 transmission, engine harnesss, transmission harness, ECU harness, and ECU. Any other harness needed?

Dash, body, fuse box harness under hood, door harness, etc. unless of course you are going to splice into your existing harness.

MLS

Established Member
Just use your harness. Save yourself the electronics nightmare.

Sleeper GT

Established Member
You should just splice into your stock harness. I was gunna to the same swap on my 98GT. But i changed coarse when i got my 96 cobra and was gunna do the swap in that. But i decided i might sell them all and just get an actual termi. It's a lot of work and $$ involved to make it happen not including all the new supporting mods to handle the power. Best of luck, and i will be following your project and can't wait to see the finished product :beer:

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
I'm back. As an update...I was going to just scrap this whole swap, but thanks to Mustang Matt and all of you, I will be doing it. So far I'm working on the stock GT harness. I'll post some pics later for progress.

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
On a side note...regarding QA1's tubular K member. The mounting holes on this piece are like slots which allow you to move the k member forward or back. My question is where should I set it where it places everything near factory? (I.e: engine and front wheels)

Mustang Matt

Established Member

98fourvalve

Established Member

I've got a QA1 k member w/their A arms in my 96 Cobra. Mine is all the way forward. Everything lines up fine and have noticed 0 issues with anything.
The only thing I had to do with mine was chop off the steering rack mounts and drill through for my solid offset bushings.
I also helped my brother install his Qa1 in his 95. We put it in the same place as mine (all the way forward) and everything worked great.

As far as the issues people have with the Qa1's I think a lot of it is just bad luck. You don't hear about people posting up good things. It's always the negatives that come out. I've seen a lot of thsoe threads use stock A arms which IMHO is part of the problem even though they are supposed to allow them. Just seems like a hassle.

Edit: Also, I have Bassani Mid length headers which went on great.

Last edited:

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
Update: long block installed. I just need to re-align the QA1. The wiring is set up for the most part...I need to some how crack off the lower crank pulley and cage so I can install the inner belt. I heard it takes tremendous torque to spin that reverse threaded 14mm hex. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
Well here is an update since the last post which was over a year.

I just got my motivation back so Im back working on this car. I sold my 05 Gt so I am out of the saddle so I need to get this swap done so I can be back to rowing through gears again...

So far...The following has been installed...

QA1 Front K member, MMR coil over kit with Bilstein struts, Gripp/BBK cc plates, steering rack with lines, tubular A arms, front hubs, rotors, brakes, 03 cobra engine from lower intake to oil pan, I installed my 97 Gt power steering to the block, flywheel, clutch assembly, bell housing, Kenne Bell BAP, rear 8.8 with 4:10, eaton locker.

Blower and intercooler are off. Still deciding if I should port or just put it back on and wait for a whipple. I am going to install a Walbro fuel pump soon, and put up the T56 as soon as my AJE Racing cross member comes in sometime this week. Once the rear brakes go on and the fuel pump and drive shaft are in I can move to the front and start going off a checklist to finish it up. I also have the BBK long tubes and o/r x pipe ready to go in. One I'm ready to take the car down for tuning and suspension alignment, I will have the torque boxes reinforce, and sub frames installed.

On a side note, my 'vert had a convertible brace on the front and I have removed it when I put the Qa1 K Member in. What's another way to reinforce the chassis on the front end of the car.

So as far as the ECu its still the stock 97 Gt. What would happen if I started the car with it?
Would I be able to unload a tune to the computer and start the car to get it running then take it down for a more thorough tune? Or will I have to drag the car down on the back of my truck to the tune shop? this is an issue that will be addressed near the end of the project.

Im getting wrench time in

I will be back to post an update as soon as I get more in.

Last edited:

autumnstang97

gigidy
Established Member
The AJE Racing T-56 Crossmember is in. T-56 is going up and in tomarrow, as well as the Longtubes. If there is still time then I will drop the tank and replace the fuel pump and finish wiring up the Kenne Bell BAP.

Users who are viewing this thread