1997 Cobra front control arm replacement

CobraHuck

Established Member
My buddy has a 1997 Cobra we're trying to put new front LCAs on cuz the stockers are shot. We got the driver's side disassembled and are down to just taking the bolts out. The rear bolt was easy once we took out the subframe bolt but the front WILL NOT come out.

It's hitting the end of the steering rack, right at were the boot clamps onto the rack. I tried prying the LCA up from the back to rotate it and that didn't work. My dad swears "all I have to do" is loosen the motor mounts and jack up the motor. NOBODY mentions that in their threads about LCA replacement. All I ever see is "take out the LCA bolts" and "it's easy" or write-ups on how to replace the bushings but they don't actually go into detail on LCA removal. Nobody seems to be having this issue that I can find :fm:

Has anybody had a clearance issue like this? Any tips/tricks? They would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited:

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Nope, no motor mounts removal needed.

Just unbolt the two rack mount bolts with the large washers. This will allow you to move the rack and pinon forward to slide the control arm bolts off.

Tilting the arms with help from a jack is another easy trick to help line up the holes. Here is a photo of my 03-04 Cobra control arms showing the jack-move.

ucxc.jpg

Here are instructions on how to unbolt those rack bushings.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...queaking-steering-wheel-when-turning-fix.html

Good Luck!

Ken

CobraHuck

Established Member
Awesome! Thank you so much, that's exactly what I needed to know! :beer: Did not know the sleeves inside the rack mounts came out. Do you think we'll need to unbolt the rack from the steering shaft or will it move just enough for getting that bolt out?

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
No need to unbolt the steering shaft. The rack should be able to move far enough. If you do end up having to unbolt the steering shaft, be careful not to allow it (and your steering wheel) to rotate more than 45-60 degrees otherwise you will have a broken clock spring.

Users who are viewing this thread