1997 5.4 performance upgrades.

a64armt

Established Member
I have a 1997 Expedition with 5.4, 4wd and 155,xxx miles. The first 70k in Germany on the Autobahns, many cross country trips, trailer towing, some field work, I have asked alot of this vehicle. The only problem I have had with this vehicle has been the intermintent engine miss, but I solved that over a long process. Eventually I found the IAC leaking, vaccum lines, EGR lines, cracked injector, O2 sensors, and a couple of other small items. A couple of years ago, I replaced all steering and suspension components, (tie rods, steering box, shocks) and even installed Energy Suspension bushings through out (control arms, rear links, etc). This vehicle has been very good to me and has been very dependable. It may just be me, but I feel it needs freshening performance wise.

I am ready for some performance upgrades.

I am not looking to drag race, I do not believe installing a supercharger on an engine with 150k+ is wise. I do tow a heavy boat (7500lbs) as well. The truck is still used on some family trips. Any MPG increases are obviously welcome, but not greatly expected. Driveability is important.

I have been working the wife for permission to buy Headers, exhaust, throttle body, TB spacer, and programer. I have a K&N kit already. I feel these items should provide what I am looking for.

Any recommendations, thoughts, or experiences?
Thanks,
Vincent

spike_africa

Established Member
i have done all the bolt ons to those trucks i can tell you hands down the TB and TB spacer do jack on a lightly modded truck (the TB spacer is crap on any efi vehical). I would get a tune on it (not superchips but rather a SCT tune). that with a simple muffler swap and e-fan kit will give some growl and make it get much better MPG. dont bother with shorty headers the gains are small to say the least.

Last edited:

a64armt

Established Member
Thanks

I appreciate the info, it sounds like you just saved me some money. I was looking at the Troyer performance packages, Stage 3 for $2600. It includes all the items, plus high energy Coil packs, TB, JBA headers, electric fan, etc. Claims of 80-85+ hp gain. For $4200 they claim 90-100hp without Supercharging. All a bit of money.

Based on what you said, I can buy those specific pieces and still get the effect I desire.

Thanks,
Vincent

spike_africa

Established Member
Dont bother with his kits they are rip off's. I used to have a 99 f150 and i went threw all the bolt ons etc.. trust me when i say he isnt worth the money.

I would just get a any kinda catback you like, MAC is nice and cheap and flows well. A SCT tune from someone like www.vmptuning.com (justin the owner is a nice guy and has tuned over 10 of my freinds cars.) I would then make your own e-fan kit whihc you can do for around 200-250bucks.

Go to ebay and search electric fan you need a 16" and a 14" one. There is a company called zergo they make nice fans for cheap. You can get a 16" for around 70-90 from them and a 14" with a fan controller for about the same cost. Then wire and install yourself and save a ton of cash.

I with your miles new plugs,wires and coils might be a good idea. I would get either MSD ones or Screamon demon coil packs, you can search google to find them.

But like i said the TB and headers really dont do much unless you have true duals with the TB elbow ported to get more power from those parts. But it sounds like you just want to get better mpg and some more grunt. Those mods i said will help alot in that.

Users who are viewing this thread