1996 RX-7 - LS1 - 6Spd

cichlidbob

Established Member
Posting for my neighbor...
1993 RX-7 - touring package, montego blue with tan interior, odo shows 78k on chassis (actually more like 88k now since I've put ~10k on it after the swap, but before I hooked up the speedo. All factory gauges are now in use).
-Granny's underhood subframe/trans crossmember/torque arm/bump steer correction
-'02 LS1/T56, ~50k on it
-Granny's cold air intake
-Granny's corvette radiator kit
-JTR long tube headers
-Local muffler shop 2.5" Y pipe into 3" HKS catback
-230/232, .590/.590, 114LSA camshaft
-TSP Chromoly pushrods
-TSP .650" lift dual valve springs
-Bosch 044 fuel pump, -8AN fuel feed line, stock returns
-Mallory fuel pressure regulator, mounted under hood
-Tuned via HPTuners, currently running open loop speed density (no o2 sensors, no mass air flow sensor)
-Dakota Digital SGI-5 speedo conversion box
-Hinson adjustable power steering regulator
-ABS
-Spec billet steel flywheel
-Spec stage 3 clutch
-Hinson driveshaft
-3.90 LSD rear end
-SuperPro rear diff bushings
-Greddy Type S coilovers, 8k/10k spring rates
-Enkei NT03M wheels 17x9.5
-Falcon azeni RT615 tires, 255/40 front, 275/40 rear, rears brand new
-Newish blank brake rotors and PBR Axxis ceramic pads
-Alpine head unit
-AEM UEGO wideband

Honestly, I am not necessarily looking to move this car, but I have been kind of looking around. I've been doing the V8 RX7 thing for about 5 years now and I am ready for a radical change into something different to play with.

We will start with the bad points. The car is mechanically sound, I drive it almost every single day. It is, however, an old car that is heavily modded... it isn't perfect. The biggest pain point in my book has been the clutch and it is now slipping. The car is driveable, but it chatters and doesn't like heavy loading. I plan to put a clutch in it, but I have to put a clutch in my other car, too, and really don't want to do both. So, I am putting this out there until I order a clutch late this week / early next week. Pick it up, drive it or trailer it home, order a $400 clutch, spend a few hours working on it, and have a well done, clean LS1 FD for cheap. The solution, in my opinion, is an LS7 clutch kit... cheap, easy, and stock like driveability. The car's interior is probably a 7/10 with the only notably bad spot being the driver's side seat bolster (although I do have a lead on a replacement seat, it isn't perfect, but doesn't have any tears). Exterior is probably a 7/10, it does have some paint flaws / dings and the front headlight cover alignment is not perfect. If I keep the car, I would definitely like to get the A/C in and working (have the compressor and stock fd lines/condensor). Lastly, the car could use some refreshing of a few rear bushings (you can occassionally here them pop a bit).

With the "bad" points out of the way, let's talk about the good points. The car is a blast to drive. It is has calm street manors, not particularly noisy inside, and it pretty damn comfortable. It should make somewhere around 380-390whp and will run side by side with cars that trap 121/122mph in the 1/4 mile. FWIW, my previous car had a very similar combo except with just a little bit more cam/bottle and the car ran 10.80s@138mph, very traction limited, on a 150 shot. It weighs about 2850 with half tank of fuel. The car handles great, is sharp, price, nimble, and is an overall blast to throw around. It has never seen any track, dragstrip or road course, as I built the car to be more of a fun / fast cruiser. As a result, the 3.90 LSD rear end is in great shape, does not make any noise what so ever, and should be pretty durable if maintained and driven reasonably.

My favorite picture of the car:

lrx7019.jpg

Here are directories of the build, when I bought the car, and some later finished pictures:

Index of ./pics/hocky/fd/

I need to detail the car so that I can get some up to the minute pictures, but if anyone has any special requests, please let me know.

VIN: jm1fd3313p0208291. Clean title, clean carfax.

Needs a clutch asking price: $19,500. Let's work out a deal, come get it. If there are no bites on the car soon, I will fix the clutch and the price will go up.

Please email me at hocky #a.t# indyhpmedia.com.

Users who are viewing this thread