1996 mystic

1stCobra

"Get Furious"
Established Member
I'm looking at a 96 mystic cobra with 108k guys asking 8800 for it. Has new paint job wasn't sure if it's worth the 8800 but the factory seats were replaced with leather gt seats from a 99-04. Will that hurt the collector value real bad or will it be fine?

SVTPete83

Established Member
Repainted and not original. But these cars are not really collector status either. Especially with that many miles.

-SVTPete

1stCobra

"Get Furious"
Established Member
So is the. Car at a good price for 8800 then? It's oem paint that they used also. It's a California car also and looks mint. Just really want another cobra but don't want to pay to much.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I think '96 Mystics definitely have collector value, but not repainted with 108k, so I would worry more about the health of the motor and standard things like that. Hard to say if it's worth 8800 without seeing and driving it due to the miles, but price doesn't sounds that bad if the paint job is really good.

SVTPete83

Established Member
8800 is solid if the car is in great shape. I didn't buy one for the collector status, I just love the color. Good for them for using oem paint. If it's good mechanically and paint is good, 8800 is definitely fair.

-SVTPete

chao5.0

Established Member
I can tell you now that I had some paint work on my car that if the paint is in good shape (not needing anything) then yes the car could be worth the $8800 provided its also I good mechanical shape. since my insurance was paying for my damage my painter charged them retail price for the paint and it was $750 a quart for the BASF Mystic. provided they did indeed use the BASF then yes the car will hold some value, not collector car value, at least not yet. when I bought mine it was in great mechanical shape and I paid the $6500 but the paint was faded and peeling, but others cobras in the area in the same condition were going for the same price so it being a Mystic was more or less a bonus.

MysticChaos

Established Member
I paid $3500 for my Mystic with 124k on it. The paint has seen better days and the interior is toast, but it runs and drives. I personally think 8800 is a little steep with 108k, but thats just my opinion and honestly if the car needed to be repainted and the interior has been swapped out, I'm gonna guess that car spent a lot of time in the sun and wasn't super well taken care of. Again, that's just my opinion though.

Dobedare

Established Member
A guy near me has one listed for $13,000, but it only has 31,983 miles on it. I also love the look of these, and was considering it, just not a good time for it. I am told that it has a clean CarFax, but has had 7 owners.

This is his ad:

1996 SVT Mystic COBRA COUPE
Mystic clearcoat metallic is in mint condition (#1925 of 2000 ever made, see papers).
Always garage kept & covered.
Updated sound system.
Only 31,983 miles, never driven in inclement weather.
All scheduled maintenance kept up.
2 sets of keys
Standard options include: Air Conditioning, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Cruise Control, Power Steering, Tilt Wheel, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette, CD (Single Disc), Dual Air Bags, Leathe
It is with some reservation I must sell this incredible collector's item or sweat/fun daily driver due to a health challenge/condition. Not to mention with how little I drive it (because I don't want anything to happen to it) it's time for someone else to enjoy it and possible put more miles on it than I did. I really hope I can sell it to another Mustang enthusiast!

1stCobra

"Get Furious"
Established Member
Went yesterday to look at it to find out that the air conditioning doesn't work. Said it was cold last week and now it's hot air.

1stCobra

"Get Furious"
Established Member
Knocks the price down about 5k IMO. Could just need a charge.

-SVTPete

He won't take any less so I might have to pass on it. The clutch is also really hard to push in. I think the cable is in need of being replaced.

1stCobra

"Get Furious"
Established Member
So I'm now looking at a saleen budget rental car now. Has 73k miles #48 of 88 built. And #1 of 11 in its color. I can get it for 7800.00 but it rides rough I think maybe the sport craft suspension is the issue.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
So I'm now looking at a saleen budget rental car now. Has 73k miles #48 of 88 built. And #1 of 11 in its color. I can get it for 7800.00 but it rides rough I think maybe the sport craft suspension is the issue.

Sounds interesting, post some pics. I mean I'm sure it's been floored so many times it might need new carpet under the gas pedal, but still a unique car for the money, which it sounds like that's what your looking for. I'm sure budget at least kept up the maintenance on it.

Snagmaster

Established Member
Two Mystics in my area I've found, one is really nice and the other.....

It looks like the owner used sandpaper to wash the car with, I'm not kidding, at the edge of every panel or curve the paint is gone down to the primer and what paint is left has no shine to it.

The owner is a drunk and frequents the local bars daily, the car has no dents or damage you can see but it's pretty worn otherwise, I left a note under the wiper one day stating my interest in buying it when he was done with it or the engine blows etc....

He called me back and said He would let me know, I haven't seen the car over the winter so it may be parked or wrecked, have not recieved a call though.

I thought they were worth something over the other paint colors but it seems not from what I've read here, sad to see the car treated like that though, I may be able to get some pics of I see it again and may still buy it if it ever re-appears and is cheap enough.

Sad

Chris0304

Established Member
"Dobedare" I Should be getting that one in the next few days. I gave him a deposit for it yesterday.

Last edited:

Dobedare

Established Member
"Dobedare" I Should be getting that one in the next few days. I gave him a deposit for it yesterday.

Very cool! Just - please - don't "lambo" the doors! There is a car group that gets together on Saturday nights on Route 610 in Stafford. Stopped by to check out the cars there, saw an drop dead gorgeous - Mystichrome - at least I think it was until I saw the guy open his "lambo" doors. Ugg, just couldn't get past that feature.

If you are local to the area, and want ideas on where to go for things - let me know.

chao5.0

Established Member
Those of you considering buying a Mystic keep in mind the price of the paint, I just got mine back out of the body shop and I asked the shop owner the price of the paint per quart, it retailed at $750 straight from BASF, now if it wasn't the insurance company paying for it and it was me the price would've been $450 a quart because we are friends. So if you are considering one keep that in mind, also the paint is available for use on anything now a days, he told me BASF released it to the public back in '13, before then it was still restricted for Mystic cars only meaning you had to have the paper work to back it up saying it was a true SVT Mystic car.

I was joking with him while I was there saying if we have to repaint it (which I will since it was neglected by the previous owners) and he was going to charge me $750 a quart then I was just going to have him respray the car gulf blue or grabber blue.

Users who are viewing this thread