1996 cobra temp gauge doesnt work.

calevra

Harley davidson tech.
Established Member
Hey guys got a 1996 cobra an the temp gauge doesnt work any clues why. I have replaced the temp sending unit the sendor that is located in the right coolant pipe if you are standing in front of the car facing it. havent really got to look into the wiring or take gauges out yet. oh yeah its stock gauges and stuff to no aftermarket. thanks:beer:

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
Can't help but responding sometimes ... I know one our "4-V" owners will pipe in shortly, but on my '95 there were two sending units, almost side by side - one sent signals to the gauge and the other one sent signals to the computer. Did your repair manual tell you which one, or did someone else?

FWIW, if you end up changing the sending unit, I'd recommend installing an aftermarket temp gauge ... it comes with a sending unit (mine did). You'll be off to a good start, for monitoring your temp. JMO

Last edited:

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
Can't help but responding sometimes ... I know one our "4-V" owners will pipe in shortly, but on my '95 there were two sending units, almost side by side - one sent signals to the gauge and the other one sent signals to the computer. Did your repair manual tell you which one, or did someone else?

FWIW, if you end up changing the sending unit, I'd recommend installing an aftermarket temp gauge ... it comes with a sending unit (mine did). You'll be off to a good start, for monitoring your temp. JMO

+1

I bet you changed the one on the right side of the engine? The one on the left side of the engine is for the gauge.... the right side is for fans

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I have replaced the temp sending unit the sendor that is located in the right coolant pipe if you are standing in front of the car facing it.

Sounds like he changed the one on the left side of the engine, like you said ...

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
make sure its full on coolant also. it may sound like a dumb response.. but if there is no coolant, the gauge wont read anything

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
I assume that you mean coolant in the cross-over pipe ... good point - if the system is full of air, the coolant pipe will be very low, or empty :rockon: and no contact will be made between the coolant & the contact on the sensor.

Last edited:

calevra

Harley davidson tech.
Established Member
yes i replaced the one on the driver side because the haynes manual said so.. but maybe i read wrong ill double check. thanks for the input guys. ill get back to you in a few. let ya know wat i find

fourvalvegt

Established Member
you can always check to see if its a gauge or wiring issue by using a paper clip if its the two wire setup. if its the one wire setup im pretty sure you apply it to ground

calevra

Harley davidson tech.
Established Member
i def replaced the wrong one getting the right one tom. ill let ya know how it goes

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
i def replaced the wrong one getting the right one tom. ill let ya know how it goes

It should be the same part number... just switch the sending unit...if it works, then go buy a new one....or see if your old one still works (because you may have taken out a perfectly good sending unit before)

calevra

Harley davidson tech.
Established Member
yeah the sending unit for the fans was a good unit. but the temp sensor is actually a different one it actually has an electrical connector with 2 wires leading to it unlike the sending unit which only has one wire goin to it.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
they are two different sensors actually one is a switch and the other is a sensor, they also have different ends on them you cant plug them into the wrong one. and then there is the one wire sensors too

calevra

Harley davidson tech.
Established Member
no dice guys and it looked like the previous owner had the dash some wat apart at some time........ HEADACHE hear comes troubleshooting time

Users who are viewing this thread