1996 cobra swap

ryan a

Established Member
Hey guys hope u can help me out.
I have a 1997 cobra that was a shell with full interior everything was gutted under the hood down to the break lines. I found a doner 1996 mustang cobra with 250 miles on it. It was used as a shop vehicle for a community college. They couldn’t sell the vehicle because it had to be crushed because ford donated it and it could never be on the road again. With that being said I got everything out of the doner vehicle to put mine back together engine,trans, dash, pcm, cluster, steering wheel, etc I got everything. So I have it all put back together and what do ya know I get the damm theft light. I jumped the starter relay and it spins over which is good. Is there something I’m doing wrong? Idk why I would get a theft light when everything worked before it came out of the doner vehicle. Any comments should be appreciated. O and by the way I got everything for 2k so it was a deal I couldn’t pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Sn951997SVT

Established Member
I’m not 100% sure on this,but you may need the pats modual from the trunk of that 96 cobra and maybe something else.

I’m sure some of the other guys will chime in shortly.

ryan a

Established Member
I have that. The keyless entry module is in the trunk. I have everything

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Something tripped PATs? You'll benefit from a tune anyway so you could always just get a tune with PATs turned off. Just don't get anything from bama...

No car alarm installed on either of these cars or anything? Chip installed on the ECU? You never know what these kids did to the 96 but if it ran beforehand then I dunno. Triple check that everything is plugged in.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
So you swapped the ignition cylinder, key, and pats module? How about the ECU? If not, you will need it reflashed to work with the new key.

If all you did was install the engine, plumbing etc under the hood, you shouldn't have had to mess with anything and it should be fired right up with your OEM key and ECU.

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
He said he got EVERYTHING. If he swapped everything then yeah it should work. If not then PATS turned off will fix it. Or should

ryan a

Established Member
I’m gonna triple check everything tonight. If I have to get in to the pats I have a ids system to get in to the pcm. Idk it’s kinda driving me nuts. Am I supposed to have crank and no start when the theft light is on? Cause I have no crank as well. But I can jump the relay and it cranks. These cars are finicky

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m gonna triple check everything tonight. If I have to get in to the pats I have a ids system to get in to the pcm. Idk it’s kinda driving me nuts. Am I supposed to have crank and no start when the theft light is on? Cause I have no crank as well. But I can jump the relay and it cranks. These cars are finicky

You didn't answer my questions.
You swapped the ECU, key, key cylinder and the keyless module?
"I have everything" could mean you missed something.

ryan a

Established Member
You didn't answer my questions.
You swapped the ECU, key, key cylinder and the keyless module?
"I have everything" could mean you missed something.

Yes swapped everything. From the doner cobra. I must have missed something. I’m going to get in to it and triple check everything tonight. Wires etc I’m just confused at this is kinda complicated.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes swapped everything. From the doner cobra. I must have missed something. I’m going to get in to it and triple check everything tonight. Wires etc I’m just confused at this is kinda complicated.

I have a feeling when you say "everything" you are missing something.

In your first post you said you needed everything under the hood. Did you swap more than just under the hood?
What exactly is "everything" ?

ryan a

Established Member
I have everything from both cars. 2 steering columns with keys and pats module, 2 dashboards with clusters, 2 Pcm’s I have Duplicates of both cars.

Tillerman77

Established Member
When my 97 PATS system is triggered (i.e. the theft light is on), the horn honks and lights flash along with a no crank situation.

Any possibility of a 97 versus 96 incompatibility?

ryan a

Established Member
Ok so I got it to crank and fuel pump and everything is on. Now I had to run a wire to the starter relay. I think it has something to do with the neutral safety switch. Note this car was an auto before. Now it is a 5 speed I have peddle assembly and all. Could my nss be bad?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok so I got it to crank and fuel pump and everything is on. Now I had to run a wire to the starter relay. I think it has something to do with the neutral safety switch. Note this car was an auto before. Now it is a 5 speed I have peddle assembly and all. Could my nss be bad?

It very well may be your issue.
Sounds funny, but does it allow you to crank it with the car in gear also?

Your Cobra was an auto? Who did that to it?

cbrown9064

Established Member

Hmmmm...Cobras were never autos. There is no neutral safety switch on a 5 speed. There is a clutch switch. Car won't crank unless clutch is depressed. If it cranks and wont fire, I don't think that is PATS. But not sure.

ryan a

Established Member
Hmmmm...Cobras were never autos. There is no neutral safety switch on a 5 speed. There is a clutch switch. Car won't crank unless clutch is depressed. If it cranks and wont fire, I don't think that is PATS. But not sure.

Ok cool good to know that they were never autos. I’ll just keep digging

ryan a

Established Member
Car is up and running. Had to jump the clutch and run a wire straight to the starter relay. Still need to figure out the clutch pedal assembly. But it starts and runs so that’s a big plus

Users who are viewing this thread