1996 Cobra Supercharging Advice

Ziris

Established Member
Hi Guys,

First time posting but spent lots of time reading!!

I have a 1996 Cobra vert that I am ready to buy a KB 2.1L kit for and run 6psi, for now.

What I am concerned about is my car looks like new but has 123k miles on the engine. Don't want to put a SC on there and have it melt quickly!! Besides a compression test what should I do to see how healthy the engine is? How "safe" is the 6psi kit on a high mileage car?

Current mods are pretty simple, CAI, 4.10's, SCT tuner and a O/R H pipe, new top thanks to insurance (attempted theft). Car was 100% stock when purchased at 119k miles.

I have been doing tons of research and would like some people say "just buy a terminator" but realistically that will cost more in the end IMO, even after a rebuild with a MMR 900. Or am I out to lunch here, my car was under $4k and I am in Canada?

Thanks for any advice, seems like a great forum here!!!

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Well it wont melt. If you get a tune and yadda yadda yadda it SHOULD be fine but IMO it's still ....tick.....tick.....tick.... from a spun bearing. Personally I wouldn't get a KB on a B head motor. Yes it's fun and yes it's safer but you'll only get about 350hp to the wheels MAX because you can't run an intercooler unless you have some serious engine/port mods.

Here are your options:

1) Build your current motor and slap a turbo or centrifugal style S/C on it. Easy 400-480hp Around 6-9k.
Pros: Teksid block (lighter), B head is good for boost if ported, with turbo up to 500-550 pretty easy.
Cons: Still difficult to have a high HP roots system. So still have to build boost but a turbo'd teksid is pretty mean. Expensive to build. At the mercy of an engine builder.

2) Sell your car and buy an 03-04 Cobra. Around 12-15k with the sale of your car.
Pros: Uh...it's an 03-04 Cobra = Awesome.
Cons: Most expensive option unless you find a salvage one but then you'd have to buy it cash.

3) Swap in an 03-04 Motor. Built to handle around 650hp with blower on it already and easy to make more power. 5-7k for swap with part out of your unneeded parts.
Pros: Easy to make more HP, already built, Roots blower, KB or Whipple = 600-650hp
Cons: Kind of a PITA to install, risky buying a used motor (I did it and it's fine...knock on wood)

4) Put a KB on your car and hope you get lucky. 2-4k
Pros: KB's are awesome and fun, pretty easy bolt on power.
Cons: Could spin a bearing...then what? Have to then refer back to 1-3 anyway. No intercooler so it runs hot = more danger to your engine. 350ish max RWHP.

If it were me I'd save up for options 1-3. I blew my motor and chose option 3. Seemed to be the most cost efficient and more fun for what I enjoy. I hope this helps. Yes there are always exceptions but from what I've researched and observed that's pretty much it.

LDC2335

Established Member
kb = 350 to the wheels, i dont think ive ever heard of anything under 380-400, that would be a complete waste.

Couldnt a easy pulley change/tune fix that

I say do your compression check, along with a good tune up, then run a intercooled centrifugal style S/C and get a safe dyno tune from a well known tuner.

check the market here and on corral.net for a used s/c there are usually some in the $2000-$2500 range

definitly a boost and water temp gauge as well as maybe a wideband a/f gauge to keep a good eye where everything stands and to quickly detect any issues.

Last edited:

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
Yeah I might have been a little stingy on the KB numbers but I just don't think it's the way to go on B head motors. But everyone has their opinion.

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
At 6psi you should be fine but you never can tell.

It could last for years or it could pop next week.

That about sums it up...

Do a compression test and leakdown. That will give you a better indication of your motors health.

Ziris

Established Member
Shop is gonna do the tests tomorrow if they have time.

Along with the SC, I plan on my engine blowing sooner then later so saving up for a new short block this winter from MMR. Looking at the MMR 900 actually.

I really am considering a terminator but would have to buy in the states to even get a good deal then deal with importing, Canada required mods and then start where I was with this car if it didn't have gears etc.

Thanks for the advice guys, in some what of a hard decision making spot here.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
if you have your mind set on the KB-send me some pm's for advice as obviously it's a little biased in here. only 350 is laughable-

Ziris

Established Member
I know I could get some really nice 1/4 times easier, cheaper etc with other setups BUT my car is a vert and faster then 13.5 here a cage is mandatory and thats gross in a vert IMO.

LDC2335

Established Member
I know I could get some really nice 1/4 times easier, cheaper etc with other setups BUT my car is a vert and faster then 13.5 here a cage is mandatory and thats gross in a vert IMO.

not as nice looking as a cdc bar, but not what i would call gross.

2559239_62_full.jpg

2559239_57_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/2559000-2559999/2559239_57_full.jpg

crazycarlo

Established Member
Well just remember the terminator has a built motor and its really cheap to mod and get power out of. With less then $2,000 you could be rolling around with 500rwhp.

Shop is gonna do the tests tomorrow if they have time.

Along with the SC, I plan on my engine blowing sooner then later so saving up for a new short block this winter from MMR. Looking at the MMR 900 actually.

I really am considering a terminator but would have to buy in the states to even get a good deal then deal with importing, Canada required mods and then start where I was with this car if it didn't have gears etc.

Thanks for the advice guys, in some what of a hard decision making spot here.

Users who are viewing this thread