1996 Cobra: correct stock fuel pump flow rate and suggested replacement

Rolf

Stock 1996 Cobra here. Two questions.

1. Some suppliers state the original pump for 1996 Cobras flowed ~110 L/h at ~44 psi. However, a post in this thread claims 1996 Cobras came with 150 L/h pumps; elsewhere I've read 190 L/h were stock 1996-1997. Suggested aftermarket replacements (Walbro, BBK) range from 110 L/h on up. Can anyone confirm the original pump rate?

2. Some SVT threads (e.g. here) talk about using a Walbro GSS342 (255 L/h); is this the common replacement for the stock pump? If the motor is stock, is there any point in putting in a higher capacity pump? For example, would a 255 L/h pump potentially create problems (fuel heating because of faster cycling of fuel back to the tank)? Any advice or recommendations would be welcome.

Background -- read only if interested :sleep:: long term problem with this motor throwing codes related to O2 sensors. After replacing all four HO2 sensors and the SAI pump (thank you, @Captain Fluffy Nuggies!), car ran fine for a few months, then started throwing codes again from sensor 1 (upstream), bank 2 (driver’s side): PO153 (O2 circuit slow response), P1152 (lack of HO2S21 switches - senors indicates rich). A garage I trust said they got it to threw a code as the fuel pressure dropped to 30 psi, so they suggested some part of the fuel system is going bad. Gonna replace upstream sensors again, but given that the fuel pump is so old, thought I’d also start there. If the problem persists after replacing the pump, I’d start looking at the rails, injectors, fuel pressure regulator, etc.

boost88

Established Member
Stock is around 110 that's correct. As far as a 255 goes I have one and like it but my car is beyond stock. They also sell a 155lph pump at walboro as well if you want to go that route

Sent from my SM-S918U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Rolf

Hi boost88, I ended up getting the BBK/Walbro 255 pump kit from American Muscle, as this one was the only one I could find in stock that the supplier would confirm was a fit for 1996 SVT Cobras. Oddly, Summit Racing returned a “does not fit” for the Walbro 155 L/h pump (and many others), otherwise I would have gone with that. Many other forums have responses of BBK/Walbro 255 pumps working fine on these cars, even bone stock, so I assume/hope this won't create problems.

Thanks for your help —

Users who are viewing this thread