1995 Hardtop Convertible guys within please

1SVT&1GT

Established Member
Can one of you tell me how many hold down clamps your top has? I need it for some info I am getting together......Thanks for your help......

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
1SVT&1GT said:
Can one of you tell me how many hold down clamps your top has? I need it for some info I am getting together......Thanks for your help......

5 attachment points for the 95 2-Top.

2 at the windshield L & R.
2 behind the rear 1/4 windows L & R.
1 in the center below the rear glass.

The center latch, below the rear window, swivels.

If you need pictures, one of mine currently has the hardtop on, the other has its hardtop stored on its storage dolly. If you need info. on any of the other hardtop specific items that came with these cars, I have that info. also, and can provide pictures.

Here is a picture of the two posing...................

2nd2-Topphotoshoot076.gif

The car with the hardtop installed is #14/499. The one with the hardtop removed is #167/499. They are twins except for the factory theft deterent system on #167.<--A rare option on a 1995 Cobra, and especially on a 2-Top.

R

Last edited:

navi243

Established Member
can we get more pics of the one with the top on. Pics of the rear part showing the top and its fitment. And some pics showing the 1/4 windows down

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
navi243 said:
can we get more pics of the one with the top on. Pics of the rear part showing the top and its fitment. And some pics showing the 1/4 windows down

The car with the hardtop on, is currently buried in the back of my garage. I am having drywall work done in the front area so it along with two others are blocked right now. I do have the hardtop from the other car sitting on a dolly and can probably get it out sometime this week (rain permitting) if that helps?

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
TripleBlack said:
OMG!! that is insane!! i never knew this!! some one enlighten me on this mustangs, please!!

42+ years of Mustang production, 1995 only, 499 built, Cobra only, a factory offered removable hardtop for the convert. This is the second lowest 94-98 SN95 production option built next to the 250 1995 Cobra R's. The difference is, many 95R's were stored away as future investments, most/many of the 499 2-Tops were "used". I personally know of three that have been totalled, I'm sure there are others.

It seems like the 1994 Pace Car got most of the magazine coverage/recognition the year before, twice as many were built at 1000. The 95R got the magazine coverage in 1995, and the Mystics get the recognition for 1996, four times as many were built at 2000. The 2-Tops fell into the unknown as many Mustang guys that I personally know, old and young had never seen, or heard of a removable hardtop factory optioned Mustang. As most everybody knows, only 1003 95 Cobra verts. were built, three more that the 1994 Pace Car. It is the 499, of these 1003 verts. that were hardtop optioned. It was an window sticker option cost of $1895 if I remember correctly. It is a very "usable" option, especially if you live were it gets cold.

R

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
1SVT&1GT said:

are you trying to get everything to put it on your car? if so there are 2 foward facing holes in the top of the A-pillars... for alignment dowels.

i wish mine was a 2-top, but i guess im with the other 503 guys with just 95 droptops....lol
your 2 tops look good robert

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Slow95Cobra said:
are you trying to get everything to put it on your car? if so there are 2 foward facing holes in the top of the A-pillars... for alignment dowels.

I know the a-pillars are modded with the holes. I would guess that it would require either a hardtop specific A-pillar or the original A-pillars were modifed internally with some sort of reinforcement so that those forward facing pins/dowels would secure the top properly. I am not sure what, or if any of the rear area is modded for the factory hardtop install. The rear right and left attachment points are not needed on a non-hardtop, and the hardtop itself has "hooks" that actually grab inside the body. The rear center attachment point is another area that "could" have been modified at the factory for the hardtop application. That attachment actually clamps the top to the car to insure a good rear seal from hardtop to body. I do know that nothing is available from Ford, no top shell or headliner, no rear glass, no seals or weatherstrips, trim, nothing. The complete hardtops do come up for sale from time to time. I do not have a non-hardtop convert. to examine the body for specific differences.

Slow95Cobra said:
your 2 tops look good robert

^^^^^^^^^^Thanks!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

R

Last edited:

1stCobra

"Get Furious"
Established Member
We have a kid around my area that has one of these cars... and I would pay anything to have it...

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
ive seen some primered bare shells on ebay, as well as the whole assy. with the dolly... stuff went for just shy of a grand.. amazing. i would go for it, but to much to make work, down lamp would work, wouldnt have the lay in shelf.... id rather spend it on the car where it needs it ;)

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Slow95Cobra said:
ive seen some primered bare shells on ebay, as well as the whole assy. with the dolly... stuff went for just shy of a grand.. amazing. i would go for it, but to much to make work, down lamp would work, wouldnt have the lay in shelf.... id rather spend it on the car where it needs it ;)

I have seen those bare shells also. The person who was selling those bare primered shells also had a complete black hardtop assy. with its storage dolly and some other N.O.S. parts that are specific to the 1995 Cobra 2-Top. I bought everything he had except the hardtop shells. A hardtop shell, from Ford was $3500 before they went obsolete. I think he is/was asking $700-$800ea. If someone were to damage their original hardtop and need a replacement for that "correct fit", $800 is a steal! If someone buys a bare shell with the idea that they are going to "build one" for thier SN95, that will be difficult. Like I had mentioned before, nothing is available from Ford for this hardtop set-up. There was quite a bit of engineering that went into the hardtop cars to offer this option. The hardtop weighs 90 pounds, can you imagine a 90 pound hardtop that was "cobbled" together after the fact flying off of a car at 60mph? OUCH!!

R

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
true that, thats why i gave up on them...lol but a man can dream lol

but i have seen a few GT's from factory exect. that had the removable hardtop... one was yellow i know.. i found a artice on them once that said just a few sliped out, i guess they were used for R&D before they made it avail. from ford on the cobra

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Slow95Cobra said:
true that, thats why i gave up on them...lol but a man can dream lol

but i have seen a few GT's from factory exect. that had the removable hardtop... one was yellow i know.. i found a artice on them once that said just a few sliped out, i guess they were used for R&D before they made it avail. from ford on the cobra

Yes, I have heard of a couple GT's that slipped out. I wonder where the white 6cyl. w/removable hardtop went, the one that was shown in many brochures with the two Ford technicians removing/installing the hardtop.

Here is some of what I have found........................

Picture961.gif

Picture961-1.gif

Picture963.gif

The interesting thing in that 6cyl. picture is the storage dolly. It looks nothing like the production dolly. You can see that the yellow GT's storage dolly and the white 6 cyl.'s storage dolly are not the same. The white cars dolly is a "mule".

The removable hardtop option is mentioned in most all 1994 Mustang information and was supposed to be available for all Mustang converts.. It was delayed through 1994, many people asked repeatedly, "when can I get a removable hardtop?" the dealers just kept saying it has been delayed. Finally in 1995 it was available, but now the "average Joe" who could afford a 6cyl. or GT could no longer afford it at $30K on the 1995 Cobra only, plus many people got tired of asking about it, and some did not want a black car. So in the end, many factors came into play as to why only 499 2-Tops were built.

R

Last edited:

CobraBob95

Established Member
I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard a story from two different people, that the delay problems was cause by the tops not sealing to the car. To solve the problem with the tops, Ford was having the cars removed from the assembly line. While the top was still warm, it was removed from the mold and clamped & hand fitted to the car that it was going on. It cooled to the shape of that car. After the top cooled, it was painted & all hardware installed.
Most likely that any one top would mount to any one of the 499 Cobras with no problems. But will it be rain & wind tight? Probably not. About the bare shells on ebay, I think these were made during the time Ford was having problems and were considered rejects. Just my thoughts.

Bob

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
CobraBob95 said:
I don't know if this is true or not, but I heard a story from two different people, that the delay problems was cause by the tops not sealing to the car. To solve the problem with the tops, Ford was having the cars removed from the assembly line. While the top was still warm, it was removed from the mold and clamped & hand fitted to the car that is was going on. It cooled to the shape of that car. After the top cooled, it was painted & all hardware installed.
Bob

That is interesting, and very easily could be true.

CobraBob95 said:
Most likely that any one top would mount to any one of the 499 Cobras with no problems. But will it be rain & wind tight? Probably not. About the bare shells on ebay, I think these were made during the time Ford was having problems and were considered rejects. Just my thoughts.
Bob

I am not sure about the bare shells. The person who owns them told me he bought these that were left over after the 2-Top build, maybe they have had problems, I am not sure. I was happy that he sold me all of the other 2-Top parts that he had. He said that he did a dealer search a couple of years after the build and bought the 2-Top parts that he could find from dealers around the country. Needless to say, there were not many, but any parts specific to these cars is "gold", at least to me. As for the hardtop assy. that I bought from him, he said that he owned a 2-Top Cobra, that is why he bought the extra parts. When he sold it, the buyer could not come up with the total $$$ amount for the car and the buyer said, "what if you keep the hardtop?" This person did, and that is how he had a hardtop and no car to go with it. Someone out there has a 2-Top with no hardtop.

If nothing else, the latches and hardware, to me, at of high value, and then the seals and that unique rear glass. I ended up finding another complete hardtop assy. w/dolly and all of the specific parts as a spare for my second 2-Top. It was off of a 2-Top that was totalled in N.Y. The car didn't have the hardtop on at the time, the car was hit by a train.

Bob - Thanks for the info. I know you have knowledge on the 2-Top.

R

Last edited:

CobraBob95

Established Member
Robert M said:
Bob - Thanks for the info. I know you have knowledge on the 2-Top.

R

Thanks Robert. I get most of the info from you, here on SVTPerformance.

I'm still kicking myself, for not buying a hardtop assembly when I had the chance. It was back in August of 2004 when one came up on Ebay. The price was very high and did not sell in the first & second times he try selling it. The third time he put it on Ebay, his price was $700 and included shipping. It did not take long to sell. At the time I did not know how valuble the parts for the tops were.

Bob

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
navi243 said:

I am going to have to shoot for next week (when I am on vacation) to get a hardtop out and take some pictures, it too is behind a car that has to be moved.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
CobraBob95 said:
Thanks Robert. I get most of the info from you, here on SVTPerformance.

I'm still kicking myself, for not buying a hardtop assembly when I had the chance. It was back in August of 2004 when one came up on Ebay. The price was very high and did not sell in the first & second times he try selling it. The third time he put it on Ebay, his price was $700 and included shipping. It did not take long to sell. At the time I did not know how valuble the parts for the tops were.

Bob

Bob - This is a feature that I found which at first glance "appears" to include a mention of the 95 2-Top...........

Picture966.gif

Picture965.gif

Picture964.gif

But upon closer examination of the car with the hardtop on, it "appears" to be a black 95 Cobra coupe possibly, not a 2-Top, but the rear windows appear to be convert. Maybe it is a 2-Top. Then this feature talks about the availabilty of a hardtop in October (1995) for the 96 Mustang convert. line-up. Since this magazine is a July 95 release, it would have been sent to print in April or May. The 95 2-Tops had already hit the streets at that time, but the correct information from Ford apparently had not made it to Motor Trend.

That little cowl shake jab is kind of funny!!

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread