1995 Cobra R wheel backside pic

johnh

Established Member
I was curious if someone has or could take a pic of the backside of their 1995 Cobra R wheel? I recently acquired a set and would like to confirm their authenticity.

TIA

n2fords2003

Established Member
authenticity would be if the wheels have raised numbering on both sides of the valve stem as part of the casting. That would tell the true authenticity for sure.. if thats the case I will buy them from you.. PM me oh and I got a set of MINT 93 cobra wheels with original gator backs on them.. we could do some trading

johnh

Established Member
authenticity would be if the wheels have raised numbering on both sides of the valve stem as part of the casting. That would tell the true authenticity for sure.. if thats the case I will buy them from you.. PM me oh and I got a set of MINT 93 cobra wheels with original gator backs on them.. we could do some trading

It has the raised lettering for the Japanese market but I'm more curious on the back side. I would like to understand the date codes and distinguish between FMS and real Cobra R wheels. They only sold the real wheels in the catalog for short time until Ube couldn't handle the production. This also created the change to the larger button cap.

Does anyone else have HINODEX on the back side?

IMG_0818.JPG

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Not sure what you are talking about with them selling the real wheels for a short time. They sold the rims for quite a few years in silver and chrome through the catalog with the lettering on each side. Then, they decided they would be competitive with the knock-offs and started selling a cheaper version without the lettering. After complaining from enthusiast they brought back the lettered version. For some reason, memory is telling me production may have changed countries when they brought it back. If you mean the center cap when you say button cap, I was not aware of a difference. Now, the 00r center cap is slightly larger.

Tom

johnh

Established Member
Tom, when the wheels switched from Ube to Superior the button cap changed diameters. The supplier for the smaller cap stopped production on the retaining feature. I guess real cobra R's are more common then I thought. I wasn't sure how long Ube maintained production.

drkhrse

Established Member
Hi Guys, I've not been on here a while. I have a set of these wheels to part with as well if anyone wants them. Mine were on my 93R when I bought it from Jim a bunch of years back. I went to the stock 93R wheel and have not used these, ever actually. These have two different backspacing, and the original center caps. No curb rash but due to narrow tire size they have some edge wear. I have never changed the tires on them, they still have the BFG R1’s Jim used to race. I can email pics. I have no idea what they are worth, if someone wants them PM me on offer, I’d hate to see some guy stick them on a beater.

Users who are viewing this thread