1994 928 GTS - A bit of an oddity

6.0GTO

Established Member
I'd like to own a 928 because they are so rare and you never see them on the street. My mechanic says you never see them because they just are not worth fixing once a major repair pops up. He said it was higher maintenance cost than an E55. Whatever I found some of the things this guy brought up interesting.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
A 928 was the first real v8 sportscar I got to ride in and drive when I was 16/17. I'll never forget the feel and sound. I've had a thing for them ever since. Would love to have one, but it's just not realistic. A 911 could be in the cards at some point though.

Guess we have similar taste, the old RS6's are also high on my list of cars I'd like to own

My Monster

Established Member
I'd like to own a 928 because they are so rare and you never see them on the street. My mechanic says you never see them because they just are not worth fixing once a major repair pops up. He said it was higher maintenance cost than an E55. Whatever I found some of the things this guy brought up interesting.

I always loved the 928's but those repair costs are insane.

redfirecobra2003

Established Member
I wouldn't say they are not with fixing. Worst part is the early cars with Cis the early Bosch fuel injection on the later cars very common with older German cars . I have 2 that we service normally but are garage queens so almost no mileage is put on them. Engine parts are expensive but that goes for all Porsche .

MFE

Established Member
I know a guy who races one with an LSx swap. The entire LSx engine cost him less than one cylinder head rebuild on the Porsche engine.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
^^^^ That's what I'd do. Find a clean one with a bad motor and swap it.

Good luck finding a 928 with a stick - I always cringed when I'd walk up to one and see it was an auto, which was 90% of the time.

sutyak

it's soo-tack
Established Member
There was a 928 available locally for a few hundred bucks, with a great body and most of the interior. I really wanted it for a swap project. A 2.5L turbo Duratec at around 450whp was on my mind, but I had just bought my turbo Mach 1 project. I'd still like to build one someday. I also need to build something with the "LS" motor everyone keeps talking about. :D

Recon

Established Member
I think they're cool cars , but the Porsche owners had a cow when they said it was going to replace the 911. Good things they actually listened to their customers.
Had one in my shop a few years ago. It was a navy blue with tan interior and a stick. Had an electrical problem if I remember correctly.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Old rubber fuel hoses tend to cause fires in them.....

.....but the most problems come from numerous electrical problems. It was if an Englishman designed the electrical system.

Terrible car.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
My dad had one, an 87 928S4. He let me take it out to a X-mas party one year and I topped it out coming home late at night near Great Adventure. Ah the carelessness of youth.

72SBC

Established Member
Doors straight off a FC rx-7. Always been ugly. I like the 944 WAY more.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
First one I rode in was a black S4 back in high school. Thing was quick for back in the day. It would eat a 944's lunch. Lots of luxury. Awesome seats. Sounded amazing. Rode firm but solid. The early 928's didn't look nearly as nice - by the time they got to the S4's they had it figured out.

Users who are viewing this thread