1994 5.0 mustang info needed

Starsky 77

Established Member
I am looking at a 94 gt 5.0. I am woundering what to look out for.

The guy selling it says it has a ping under load.
What octain level did the ford say to put in the car.
It has a holly offroad h pipe and american thunder catback with no tune.
Would this cause the ping?
I would think that it would be running lean but to ping?
Thank for any and all help with this.:beer:

llDemonll

Established Member
supposed to run 91 octane in it, and ping can easily be caused by running 87 or 89, and if hes been running premium and still has a ping then a tune up should be able to fix it

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I thought I emembered my 95 GT only requiring 87oct. But I do also semember on 87 and the temp up in the warm section a little valve clatter.

Is that what he calls a ping?
Did you drive it yet?

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
The 5.0 has issues with the harmonic balancer. See if the rubber piece seperated...if so it's hard to get a good timing adjustment. It should be set at 10 degrees btdc with the spout off. Snycros are very weak on the T5 trans...usually 3rd gear grinds.

Venom351R

Established Member
Probably the timing is advanced and hes not running the right octane. The 94/95 GT does not need 91 I ran mine on 87 for a long time w/ no issues when I had it.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
On anything less than 93 octaine(dont have 91 here in GA) our 94 GT chatters like a mofo. I would definitely tell him to fill it up with a tank of premium gas to see if that helps or not.

My94GT

Established Member
id prolly pass on it if it has a ping, gts are a dime a dozen find one that runs better if this one makes noise.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
id prolly pass on it if it has a ping, gts are a dime a dozen find one that runs better if this one makes noise.

Actually, i'd do just the opposite :banana:

It's most likely the timing/octane issue. Acouple of my 5.0s were the same. i'd bump the timing and then hear the pinging clatter going up a hill/under load. So i had to use 93.
It's 99$ not a deal breaker.
Actually, I'd talk him down on the price because of the ping.:rockon:

cobra1923

Established Member
Should be an easy fix. 94/95 were a little more finicky with timing than the foxes but if you replace PCV, clean MAF, check that your balancer isn't coming apart and do a proper adj on timing with the spout removed (factory is 10 BTDC), you should be fine. I can only get to 14 before I start knocking so I run it at 13 w/ 93 octane.

I would also look at what he has done with his IAT sensor. It should be stuck in a hole somewhere along the intake tract and the PCU takes the intake air temp into account as it decides on timing. That could be giving some funky readings and causing issue also. See if it is present first of all and maybe replace in the tune up process.

Those are your basic issues I think.. and should take care of 90% of the pinging issues...but there's always the outside chance it's something else (build up, crack, head gasket, hot spots)

Users who are viewing this thread