1993 R models Raced

1993R

Established Member
I thought I would start a thread listing the 93 R's that were raced and what series. If anybody wants to add a car or info please feel to do so. I have more picture of each car but want to limit the thread.

Car #62 raced as #31 SCCA World Challenge by Kaufman Racing
Car #10 raced as #47 IMSA,SCCA by Steeda
Car #8 raced as #87 IMSA by White Knight Racing
Car # 38 raced as #99 SCCA World Challenge by Program Racing
Car #83 raced as #21 SCCA World Challenge by ABW
Car #67 raced as #55 SCCA World Challenge by Weinder Racing
Car #84 raced as #26 NASA by Mark Wilson (On-Track Performance)

I have left the current owners names off on purpose,I know who they are but respect their privacy.
Updated

Last edited:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I thought I'd put the Cobra R number to the race #

Car #62 raced as #31 SCCA World Challenge by Kaufman Racing
Car #10 raced as #47 IMSA,SCCA by Steeda
Car #8 raced as #87 IMSA by White Knight Racing
Car # 38 raced as #99 SCCA World Challenge by Program Racing
Car #83 raced as #21 SCCA World Challenge by ABW
Car #67 raced as #55 SCCA World Challenge by Weinder Racing
Car #84 raced as #26 NASA by Mark Wilson (On-Track Performance)

You also missed:
Car #42 raced as #48 in SCCA WC (set up just like the #38 car but I've nver seen the car in person)
1993%20C14.jpg

car #58 raced as #58 in midwest council
58a.jpg

There's another Cobra R raced in the New England COMM club back in the mid to late 90's but I don't have the info on the car
One other Cobra R was also drag raced in the Fun Ford Weekend Street Stock class (I believe that is right)
Car #32 drag raced in the Maryland area (had a vortech supercharger when I saw it)

Last edited:

SL 1993 R

Established Member
I have the #83 Cobra R. It raced under 5 different numbers during its career. Here is some of the information on the #83 car:

Oct 93 was numbered as #38 in WOR games (Ohio SCCA)
Aug 93 was numbered as #35 at Road America (SCCA WC)
May 94 was numbered as #22
June - Sept 94 was numbered as #21 in SCCA WC
Oct 95 - June 96 was numbered as #27 in SCCA WC

The picture that 1993R posted is from July 1994, taking the victory lap after a win at the Ft. Wayne Ohio Brat Bash, (club race). Robin Burnett driver. I believe there were three 1993 Cobra R's in that race...

1993R

Established Member
Mark,
too bad we cant find pics of any of these additional cars!
Steve,
your car has a real interesting history. Thanks for the updates

Hopefully we can add some more information. I have more pics of all the cars I posted but I'm trying to keep things simple.

Last edited:

SDW Racing

Established Member
I've recently been in touch with Craig Weidner. He owns the #55 93R and is the former owner of my 95R. He was kind enough to send me some pics of #55....

normal_93%20cobra%20r2%20%282%29.jpg

PRESCOTT-93R%20%282%29.JPG

normal_Cobra%20R%201%20%282%29.jpg

Last edited:

SDW Racing

Established Member
Yep Craig and I swapped emails a long time ago about his R's and their mods etc...great guy.

Yep, Craig is definitely a nice guy...I tracked him down through some of the paperwork I had when I bought the Rosie car. He has sent me a great number of pictures of all the Mustangs he has raced over 22 years, a great collection!

Craig also had this to say about the #55 93R....

My understanding on the 93 R is that it is only one of 15 out of the 106 built as a road-race car and raced. It is recognized by Ford as recording the first road-race win for the 93 R, and I was featured at a media day in September of 93 at Grattan Raceway along with Tommy Kendall in one of the IMSA cars from that era. I have some great pictures from that event!

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
This is so awesome!! I've been after reference pics of '93R's that were campaigned and can almost never find any.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
When a few of us complained about the amount of car to car contact we were told "rubbing is racing" and "if you don't like it then go somewhere else." I don't mind fixing mechanical issues with my cars but to repair sheetmetal because of someone elses lack of ability pretty much took the fun out of my racing. I still participate in open track days and "gentlemans" racing but my days in AI are done.

Perhaps I am not a racer at heart because I enjoy a good time at the track with my friends more than fixing sheetmetal and arguing over uninforceable rules. Plus once I had a bunch of trophies I realized that they weren't worth the money I was paying for them anyway.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
When a few of us complained about the amount of car to car contact we were told "rubbing is racing" and "if you don't like it then go somewhere else." I don't mind fixing mechanical issues with my cars but to repair sheetmetal because of someone elses lack of ability pretty much took the fun out of my racing. I still participate in open track days and "gentlemans" racing but my days in AI are done.

Perhaps I am not a racer at heart because I enjoy a good time at the track with my friends more than fixing sheetmetal and arguing over uninforceable rules. Plus once I had a bunch of trophies I realized that they weren't worth the money I was paying for them anyway.

Ahh....true words spoken from the mouth of a "hobby" racer. True, so true.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread