1993 Cobra with 8K NEED HELP ASAP!!!

brian3724

Established Member
I'm new to this forum, and am looking at a 1993 Vibrant Red Cobra located at Marshall Goldman Motor Sales in Ohio. Here's the

link:http://www.mgmsl.com/nlisting.cfm?ID=bbea9765-a9dd-4793-84d5-2229a93b63

I was pretty excited about this car, and was able to talk the dealer down quite a bit from his asking price. I have been a lifelong Mustang fan, and this is my dream car. However, I saw a post on here today saying that this car was on Craigs list in NJ, and someone said they went and looked at it before it ended up at this dealer and that it had it has had body work on the passenger side. I called the dealer, and he assured me that it is 100% stock, with no modifications whatsoever, and that is has never had any body work done. I have been pre approved for the loan, and want to pick it up this weekend, but now I hear something about possible body work being done, and it being for sale on Craigs List awhile back, and I'm really worried now. Does anyone have any info, please. IThis is a big purchase, and I don't want to have any doubt. Thanks a lot!

brian3724

Established Member
Yeah, it's WAY less than the asking price. I've been on the look out for a low mile all original one just like this for awhile, and finally came across this. I just happened to be reading the forums, and found one that said this was recently for sale in New Jersey, and that it looked like the passenger side door wasn't aligned and that it looked like it has had body work on the same side. I don't want to judge my purchase on what one person that I've never met claims, but it just planted that seed of doubt, and I'm a bit worried now. I was just hoping upon hope that one of you might be familiar with this one, and might be able to shed some light for me, hopefully for the better. It's number 539 by the way. Thanks again!

stangposse

Established Member
$28,900????.....I've seen several of these with the same mileage way cheaper than that. I'd offer $19k and pay no more than $20k.

Many of the cars on that site are WAY overpriced.

oneof185

Established Member
I know nothing about any damage, as I have not looked at the car. I DID however see it on craigslist for 17k in NJ and heard the seller actually sold it for somewhere around 15k - which would be a steal IMO. It has been on EBAY several times since, with the starting bid being 20k and it has been bid on twice for the 20k or 20,100 price and no further and reserve not met. This last time, just ended, it went to $20,400 with reserve not met, so I assume when you say WAY lower, it is not below 21k?
The car looks very nice in the pics but not worth anywhere near his asking price even if it's not been wrecked / repaired.

Last edited:

brian3724

Established Member
We should get a deal done for around 22k, which I can live with, I just don't want to do the deal if the car has had work, and after seeing that post where a guy says he looked at it in person back when it was on CraigsList and says it's had work just worries me. But like I said, I don't know if he really knows what he's talking about, I was just hoping to get some feedback from you guys. I have the VIN, and will run a Carfax shortly. Have any of you ever dealt with Marshall Goldman Cars? So far, it's been a pleasant experience. Thanks for the info.

brian3724

Established Member
I just ran a carfax, and it came back 100% clean with no history of anything negative ever happening to the vehicle. I checked for the guy who made the post saying it had damage, and his name is tmc5. I see that he's relatively new to the forums with only a few posts, so maybe his information was bad. I hope so. I plan on emailing the dealer this evening requesting more photos, and will post for thoughts. So, do any of you think that I should think twice about this, or go all in. It really is a beautiful Cobra. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

oneof185

Established Member
I remember reading the post you are talking about but don't know if I would hold much into his thoughts that it had work. If all VIN tags are in place etc and there is no history on Carfax, I wouldn't take one persons word on anything. I think 22k is a little high, however red/black and teal/black are hard to find in mint condition with that low of miles. So, if it is your "dream car" I would not let a couple grand keep you from it. I am in the same predicament with a teal/black, not as low miles though. Difference is that I already have a teal but it's not black interior. However, I don't really need to spend 18k to have a car that's basically what I already have.
I would say if its the car you really want and doesn't appear to have any prior damage, you should do what you feel comfortable with. I will say, from the pictures I have seen, it is a beautiful car. I would love to have it.

buddha93

Established Member
I was in that discussion on the the car your speaking of. That guy had no clue what the hell he was talking about. If it is still eating at you, demand to the previous owners name and number and give him a call before you buy.

And for the record, the dealer gave $16k for the car to my knowledge........the guy must have been hurting for cash. I'm sure they'll fight you tooth and nail for his number, but if you divulge the fact you already have knowledge of what they have invested in the car........dunno.

If this is truely your dream car and it's worth it to you, then by all means buy it. Is the price over inflated in today's market? You bet! One with similar miles just went for $18k on Ebay. Are you going to find another one any time soon.....good luck with that. One thing I'd take a look at is the cat-back on the car. For that price it had better be stock.

Post back and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

brian3724

Established Member
I just got off the phone with the dealer, and he took some outdoor photos for me. I'm at work now, but will post them for your thoughts this evening.

brian3724

Established Member
I just got the photos from the dealer and have put them in the 2 links below. I can't see any sign of previous damage. What do you guys think? Everything looks good to me, though I'm not sure what's on the battery. I appreciate your thoughts and feedback, thanks!

mail

mail

brian3724

Established Member
I actually sent a message to the guy who says he looked at the car in person, but he never got back to me. From what I see, this car seems like the real deal, but I was hoping to get some more thoughts from you guys on the pics I just posted. I am supposed to pick the car up this weekend, and would like as much feedback from you guys as possible before I make the deal. Thanks again!

buddha93

Established Member
I don't think the guy in question looked at THIS car.

Brian, I know your a bit tenative, but your going to piss yourself when you see the car in person. I truely believe it's the real deal. As you can see, the dealer provided VIN snapshots. I would check the ones he didn't show:

hood
bumper cover
rear valence
doors

And did I mention the exhaust? Seriously. There are a fair amount of low mile cars out there that don't have the OEM catback. It makes it that much more valuable.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what are your plans for it? Weekend driver, show car, investment........all of the above? Good luck tomrorrow.

brian3724

Established Member
Definitely all of the above. Obviously I won't drive it in bad weather, only nice sunny South Dakota days. But I would never just keep it in storage. I plan on enjoying it, and getting it out when the weather permits. Another plus, is I'm about 20 miles away from Sturgis where they have the bike rally every year, and they just started doing a Stang Rally every year in September, this upcoming one being the 4th, so I have that to look forward to. I went last year, and there were well over 1000 Mustangs from 64 to now. It was a lot of fun.

buddha93

Established Member
Awesome deal man. Your car will definitely be a crowd pleaser. Enjoy the car and stop in from time to time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread