1993 cobra temporary spare tire

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I am using my stock aluminum spart wheet as skinnines with a real tire mounted on it. Therefore, it now doesn't fit in the wheel well. I was going to try and find a free or very cheap steel temp from a 87-93 stang. The steel spare will work if I get a flat right or is our spares different somehow?

sled

Established Member
dam i didnt know our cars came with different spares. mine didnt even have one when i went and looked one day!

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The regular steel 16" spare from a GT/LX will fit fine.

The cobra spare was first used in the 1990 (only) LX and GT. The 1990 Mustangs that have the armrest delete plate are the ones that had the alum. spares. Also all late '89-90 convertibles used the alum spare.

Also the early Turbo T-Birds (85-86) used a solid alumium spare but it is shaped a little different than the mustang alum. spare.

kcp203

Established Member
Why the hell would Ford use a different spare because of an armrest delete? With weird stuff like this, it is easy to imagine why they find it hard to make money building cars.

Lee

Established Member
I thought our Cobra spare was special because of our 17" wheels, as opposed to the 16" GT wheels. If I remember correctly the GT spare will contact the brake calipers.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
I believe you are right, Lee - there was some type of clearance issue, but I don't recall exactly.

In fact, I believe there were a few 93 Cobras that shipped with the 94GT 5lug spare, and not the 4 lug spare... :dw: :uh oh:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
kcp203 said:
Why the hell would Ford use a different spare because of an armrest delete? With weird stuff like this, it is easy to imagine why they find it hard to make money building cars.

Weight savings... 1990 was the first year of the airbag, and Ford was trying to compensate for the added weight of the airbag, the modules, etc., therefore the armrest delete and aluminum spare wheel.

FYI, Ford put the armrest back in halfway thru the 1990 model year, due to customer complaints. I had an early 90 GT without it, the car got totalled, and got a second 90 GT that came with the armrest.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
interesting thread. didn't know why the verts and cobras came with the aluminum spare.

Also I thought all spares were 15" wheels. didn't know they were 16's

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
93Cobra2771 said:
I believe you are right, Lee - there was some type of clearance issue, but I don't recall exactly.

In fact, I believe there were a few 93 Cobras that shipped with the 94GT 5lug spare, and not the 4 lug spare... :dw: :uh oh:

i believe a have the 94 5 lug spare. good thing i'm 5 lug now.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I have actually seen them with both. Mine came with a steel one but I suspect that it was supposed to come with the aluminum one as the Cobra was already in trouble in the weight department.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
mine came with aluminum.

According to the "SVT Cobra Recoginition Guide" the 93's all were suppose to have came with the aluminum spare

cheapertokeephe

Established Member
Is it possible that some 93 Cobras came with a steel spare. Mine has one and accordng to the original owner that's how it came from the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread