1991 SSP Mustang 5.0 coupe 46k miles

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
FOR SALE

This dark blue Mustang SSP coupe was purchased new in 1991 by the Santa Clara County California District Attorney's Office, and was used mostly by special investigators to travel around the county conducting their business...hence the low 46k documented miles.

It's a numbers matching special service police package Mustang, custom ordered with an automatic transmission, no spot light, no tilt wheel or cruise control....buck tags are all in place supporting this. It does have power widows, locks, remote mirrors, cold A/C, rear window defogger, and AM/FM radio. The interior is light blue (neither the dash or side panels have cracks), the exterior dark metallic blue. The paint is polished and waxed with Adams products on a regular basis. I have 2 large three ring binders of documentation and pictures of the restoration of this car. I also have a thumb drive with numerous high resolution digital pics of the restoration and documentation.

The car was restored by a well known SSP Mustang restoration expert in Canada, who stripped the paint down to the bare metal, took out all the glass and trim, then painted the car in NOS Ford paint and color....truly beautiful paint work! The original paint from 1991 was dry and blistered from sitting out in the southern California sun, as was the interior. Most of the interior received full restoration also, with NOS parts/material IE: seat covers, cushions, carpet, glass, headliner, moldings, gaskets, trim etc.... It should be noted that because this car spent a great chunk of its life in Southern Cali where there is NO humidity, and very little rain, the metal on this car is 100% rust free everywhere! Not even the tooling on the assembly bolts have surface rust.

The car was purchased by me in Missouri where I bought it from a retired cop who owns, or has owned, other SSP Mustangs. This SSP came to me 100% original as the day it rolled off of the assembly line in 1991, a true time capsule of sorts. The only temporary changes I have made to it were to swap out the catted mid-pipe with an off road Magnaflow stainless steel mid pipe (still retains the remaining OE exhaust parts), converted the headlights to 5000k high intensity discharge units, and a K&N washable air filter...the airbox even retains the baffle and sound horn. I have the original parts, the next owner or I can easily put the OE parts back on if desired.

The car also retains the original siren, air horn, wig-wag headlights, and internal red/blue police lights in the front and back. The front red light is extremely rare, and is mounted and powered by a magnet by the P/S sun visor (still have original storage bag this light goes into). I cannot stress enough how original and beautiful this car is. The car is still rolling on the original 15" ten hole police wheels, with a full size spare in the trunk...all 5 wheels look as if they are new. The tires are also new, but not the exact size Goodyear Gatorbacks that originally came on this car...they've been discontinued for some time now, are very expensive, and difficult hard to find. This car traveled a show circuit, and often won gold awards for the "driven" class.

The motor fires the first time, every time, and does not smoke or burn a drop of oil. It settles down to a smooth idle, and still runs very strong down the road. The transmission is a 4 speed AOD that shifts as it should (nice and crisp at WOT), and was recently serviced with a new filter and fluid...there was no sludge in the pan that would indicate abnormal wear and/or abuse.

I also have the original two way Motorola police radio and head unit that were in the car when sold in 2006, but have since been taken out for legality reasons. All the original radio mounting locations have been documented with pictures. This same DA's office also ordered two other SSP mustangs for their division...one was red, the other white, to go with my blue car....the red car was last known to be in Ohio with another collector.

Words cannot stress enough just how nice and original this SSP Mustang is. The few minor flaws on the entire car, if you want to call them flaws, are that the OE steering wheel, center console, rear view mirror, and exterior side mirrors are not as mint as the rest of the car...I'm slowly addressing these parts as money is available.

I cannot post pictures on this site, but have 300+ high resolution pictures on a thumb drive that I can email to you once I have your address. Everything I have for the car, including a large show sign and the Marti Report are all included with the sale.

My asking price is $11,000... I have some movement from this amount. The Kansas title is clear with no issues or leans. Paypal accepted as a gift only.

Please call or text Joe @ 913-244-3829 if interested. If you would like pictures sent to you, please text or PM me here with your email address, and I'll get them out to you ASAP.

Cool link
http://www.bosskraft.com/91-lx-mustang-ssp-special-service-package---police-veh.html

Thanks!

Last edited:

turbov6joe

Defensor Fortis
Established Member
Terms of the sale and/or trade have changed a bit. Although I would love to say that I'm a motivated seller...I'm really struggling with the idea of letting it go, so my new price is FIRM (please don't make an offer lower than this, it's not negotiable)...the price is based off of several aspects (rarity, mileage, condition, history, documentation, and supply/demand).
An unmolested SSP coupe has always been a dream car of mine, and one in this condition with super LOW miles is a rare bird without a doubt! She is SUPER pristine with just 47k miles, and fun to drive....you cannot imagine the looks and comments I get from both the young and old. Remembering what cars were like before ABS, side curtain air bags, GPS, Bluetooth, Traction/Stability Control...etc brings me back to the days when cars were simple and raw.
This car has been taken on two fairly lengthy road trips, and on both runs averaged ~20 MPG on the highway. Even though it's mostly original, it will get up and go for a stock motor, and will run 120 + mph without any drama or white knuckle experiences. I advanced the timing to 11º to help wake the power up, so 91 octane is advised. If you want to run 87 octane, lower the timing back to stock.
I converted the headlights to true 5000K HID's (high and low beams) so I could actually see at night...we live in the country where it's really dark. Because of the HID's, the wig-wag system doesn't work as well as it should...the ballasts can't fire on and off that quickly. You can either disconnect them with a single wire, or don't turn them on (it's illegal to use them on a roadway anyhow).
The car is truly a time capsule...it's as delivered back in 1991; the exception to this are the off road H pipe, and a K&N air filter (the sound baffle is still in the intake). The rest of the exhaust is OE Ford circa 1991 and is surprisingly in good condition. I can accurately say that loosing the converters with the off road pipe, and adding the K&N, really freed up the intake/exhaust and added some power. You can immediately notice how much quicker the motor runs up to redline, and it doesn't feel as restricted. I have the original California spec H pipe with the 4 catalytic converters....can you say WEEEZE. FYI, the smog air pump is still hooked up and functional...I have a new delete pulley if you wish to remove it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread