1990 RX-7...any good?

stang99

Ok heres the deal. My uncle totaled his 2001 Jag last week and is going to pick up a new one probably within two weeks. At the same time they are going to pick up a Jag x-type for my aunt. They were going to trade in my aunts 1990 Rx-7 convertible but I'm thinking of buying it as a daily driver. Its got 40,xxx miles, always garage kept, and has been dealer serviced its entire life. The trade in value is like $3700 so I can get it at that price or a little less. What do you guys think? The car looks brand new. I know absolutely nothing about rotary engines except that they are supposed to be pretty reliable. Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks

99cobradave

Established Member
My boss had the 1989 RX7 (non-turbo, previous body style). It was reliable, but he had a hard time finding a mechanic who knew what he was doing. And when he did, it was not wallet friendly. Very fun to drive. Light + good power = fun! Torque is almost non-existant, so you have to rev to the moon.

I think the '90 Turbo RX7 is one of the better looking import cars of the '90's, and this model kept winning countless magazine "bang for the buck awards."

stang99

Thanks man. Talked to my neighbor that owns a mercedes/bmw repair shop. He said $3700 for a convertible in that condition is a pretty good deal. He'll give me new plugs (upper and lower?), plug wires, fuel filter, fuel system cleaner, and after market intake for $100 installed. I think I'm going to to do it. This should hold me over for a while until I get the cobra built :)

04svtsnake

bs stops when green drops
Established Member
hey bench i have been around rx-7 for about 7 years now, you can get alot of money for the turbo ones i just sold mine for $7,700 and i had alot of money in it about $17,600 , they r really reliable, i also know the converts. here in florida sell for about 5-6 g's. , but the down fall if that 1.3L motor blows they r expensive, get ride of the cats on the car it chokes up the motor causes it to blow, also remember they have rotors and apex seals not piston and rings! go to www.japtrix.com( dont click on it from here go to the internet and punch it in, these guys know there rotarys, thats who built my low 11. second rx-7.

stang99

Originally posted by 04svtsnake
hey bench i have been around rx-7 for about 7 years now, you can get alot of money for the turbo ones i just sold mine for $7,700 and i had alot of money in it about $17,600 , they r really reliable, i also know the converts. here in florida sell for about 5-6 g's. , but the down fall if that 1.3L motor blows they r expensive, get ride of the cats on the car it chokes up the motor causes it to blow, also remember they have rotors and apex seals not piston and rings! go to www.japtrix.com( dont click on it from here go to the internet and punch it in, these guys know there rotarys, thats who built my low 11. second rx-7.

Hell yeah...good info brother. I'll be driving it like 40 miles per day and just want it to be reliable and get better gas milage than my explorer. I'll definitely pull the cats man...thats good info!!! Can i use synthetic oil on rotary engines?

04svtsnake

bs stops when green drops
Established Member
use 10w30 royal purple only , thats the only thing i used with mine on everything rear, trans and motor, hey u got mail!!!! and also only put 93 oct. high test gas.

Last edited:

black96snake

Established Member
Also with a rotary powered car remember that you can't just crank it up and then shut it off, you have to let it warm up a bit or it'll foul the glow plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread