1989 LX Notchback Build Thread

slow90coupe

Established Member
I picked this car up last night. I bought it from the same person I bought my first coupe from, and my black 97 GT from. The car is a 1989 LX coupe, 87,000 miles, AOD. It is basically stock besides ceramic coated shorties, X pipe, and flowmasters. It also has a fresh AOD with about 1,000 miles on it with a shift kit. The plans for the car are simple- Fix all the cosmetic issues and drive the car for a few months. Then this winter I'll tear into it and start installing some of the parts that came with the car, as well as hopefully an On3 70mm turbo kit. Of course the motor will be pulled and the bay will be cleaned, smoothed, and painted. The plans are to stay on a strict budget of only spending $2000 more on the car, besides wheels and tires.

Pics of the car yesterday. The car had been sitting for over a year without being touched and was partially disassembled. A few hours later, we got it running and I drove it on over to my house. The car has got to be the smoothest, tightest fox I've ever sat down in, it's a great car.

IMG_1556_zpsadfa420d.jpg

IMG_1551_zps1225e880.jpg

IMG_1553_zps05d4bc02.jpg

And the parts that came with the car. It came with a UPR k-member kit, A-arms, coilovers, Strange struts, CC plates, MM k member brace, SVE aluminum radiator, dual fans, GT40 upper/lower, fresh GT40 heads, 3:55 gear, Anderson N41 cam, E303 cam, 3 throttle bodies, Pro-M MAF, Proform rockers, Comp Cams timing kit, and a complete gasket kit.

IMG_1560_zps2470a35c.jpg

And the car as of this evening. I went on and put the coilovers, Strange Struts, CC plates, and cut springs I had laying around. It gave it a nice even stance that will get me by for a while. I still haven't cleaned the car up at all so that's going to be the next project. It is in desperate need of a real detail. Then it will be 5 lug time. I bought some 94-95 spindles and already have brakes for it, so all I need is some axles and drums and it will be time to swap!

Also don't mind the headlights.

IMG_1563_zpse818cf92.jpg

IMG_1565_zps5fa08769.jpg

IMG_1568_zps5e7e92af.jpg

IMG_1569_zpsb3e1ed7b.jpg

IMG_1571_zpsf378f3c4.jpg

IMG_1570_zpse7e1c006.jpg

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Everyone who is looking for a good notch seem to find them, and I never do. I have not seen a good fox for a reasonable price in seriously like a year

slow90coupe

Established Member
Everyone who is looking for a good notch seem to find them, and I never do. I have not seen a good fox for a reasonable price in seriously like a year

I agree. Luckily this one wasn't listed up for sale or it would've been sold quiclky

SBVERT03

Established Member
You got it sitting nice! I'd love to build a notch someday. I've looked around a little and most of what I've found is junk. lol

slow90coupe

Established Member
Thanks everyone! I just really hope I keep it long enough to get it to where I want it. I've been driving the car around and it's doing great. It drives so nice and is so smooth!

slow90coupe

Established Member
I got a little bit done with it today. I drove it around some in the morning and then pulled the seats out to vacuum and attempt to clean up the original carpet. It came out ok. Good enough for now. The dash is in mint condition, but I'm going to probably get some new armrests, sill plates, console armrest, seatbelts, and an ashtray door to bring the interior back to where it needs to be.

IMG_1584_zpsefc22f58.jpg

I also found the owners manual. Pretty cool since I've never seen one in person for a fox.

IMG_1582_zpsd45a3bf6.jpg

Then my headlights showed up. Ordered them on ebay yesterday morning and they arrived 24 hours later. Can't beat that for $90!

IMG_1590_zps9543661b.jpg

Before

IMG_1591_zpsca929b6c.jpg

And after. I didn't have time to adjust them, I'll do that tomorrow if I have time

IMG_1593_zps047bddff.jpg

IMG_1594_zps7c1c5349.jpg

Yeah, I know. It looks very much like my old coupe, lol.

oatburner99

Established Member
Might as well toss that SVE radiator in the TRASH...its absolute garbage...I ended up going through 3 of those before LRS finally sent me a fluidyne. ($50 out of pocket for coolant) Keep your stock one.

Users who are viewing this thread