1988 GT Convertible issues

jworason

Established Member
I checked out an 88 GT Convertible today that is for sale. The car is in great shape with the exception of a few things. I was wondering if these are typical issues for this year.

- The HVAC box doesn't function, ie it won't go to defrost or dash and is stuck on the floor and not very powerful at that. The AC doesn't work either (this I can understand)
- When I pop the throttle at idle it has a hesitation every time before it revs up.
- Dash lights don't work.

The car is in great shape and is only $3500, it is a 5 speed car. I understand that it is a 27 year old car and will have issues. Just curious if these issues are typical to this year or random issues.

Jimboslice751

Established Member
Those can be common issues for any older car. The HVAC issue is most likely a vacuum problem that can be fixed easily might not even have to remove the dash. Dash lights may be just a fuse if it's all of them. And throttle hesitation may need new spark plugs or a throttle body cleaning but with something like that it isn't always an easy fix

Franco

Established Member
At that price buy it they are all small fixes. If the body/top/interior are in good shape it's a good price

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Yeah I would even try to factor it into the price even more. Easy stuff to putsy with, then you got a good ride.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
I don't think any of those are deal killers. Try to talk him down $500 or so.
The heat-A/C issue as mentioned above is likely vacuum.
The dash lights are an easy fix -- either fuse, new bulbs (get LEDs, I did $10) or just find a used cluster, swap it in <an hour.
A light tuneup will (should) fix the hesitation.

How many miles? $3500 should be either a pretty pristine car or low miles. (under 75000)

edit: one other point. The '88 is a Speed Density car, right? They went to MAF in 89 or 90, I think. IIRC, SD cars take alittle more to get mods to work. On the flip side, the SD cars actually have about 20hp more to begin with. (Ford never published new HP numbers, just used the old ones, but based on Dyno numbers the MAF cars lost HP comapred to the earlier ones)

Last edited:

crazycarlo

Established Member
Like mentioned it sounds like a good deal. If I remember on my old fix the light issue could also be a bad dimmer switch which is less then $100

jworason

Established Member
88 Convertible issues

View attachment 49143

Thanks everyone for responding. I kind of gave up on the car. I have attached a picture of it. It is a 5 speed car, it has had the door handles removed and remote door openers in place, top is in great condition, it has some weird little hood scoop that they actually cut a hole in the hood for so the hood will need to be replaced or a different scoop installed, the guy says it had a new clutch installed but he did not own it too long. Took it in payment for some work he did. The speedometer cable is disconnected and odometer shows 75K. The title notes the variation of the false odometer reading. The AC definitely does not work.

You guys may have changed my mind

Users who are viewing this thread