1986 5.0 HO Tips

crouton

Crunchy Cube
Established Member
Hey everyone,
I did some searching and came up empty handed on info for a '86 5.0, I just picked one up for cheap and would like to change a few things.

1) I'd like to get rid of the exhaust after the manifolds and fab up a custom exhaust without cats. The car is lowered and I can't really get under there right now to see if there are o2 sensors upstream or downstream from the cats... Also, should I even bother removing them at all or just do a catback? I don't know if it will mess up the computer on the 86.

2) I want to remove the smog pump and a/c - If I remove both of these, what type of belt can I run? or do I need delete kits so the belt wont interfere? Also, I heard that while you can remove the smog pump, you should leave the EGR on the 5.0's so they dont ping at part throttle. Any experience with deleteing either of these items on am 86 anyone? I really would like to know.

Any other tips/pointers on how to get a bit more power out of the 5.0, get it running smoother and looking better would be greatly appreciated. The motor is pretty well stock besides the MSD Distributor and Blaster coil i put on, as well as Taylor 8mm wires, K&N and some other misc. stuff.

Thanks everyone. :beer:

91hatch

Established Member
you dont need the delete kits but it makes the engine bay look alot cleaner with them on. and the main thing id do is check all the basics fuel filter distributer cap roter button start off with the simple stuff. since its an 86 if u plan on doing alot of modding u will want to switch to mass air instead of speed density. Basic power gaining stuff is headers o/r pipe and cat back. also since its an 86 it also has flat top pistons which means u wont be able to put a big cam in it with out changing the pistons

Users who are viewing this thread