1968 Shelby GT500 Restoration

VictorySong

Established Member
So how many factory grade Shelby restos have you done? He's not wrong.

No Shelby restorations here. I'd restore the last slant 6 Mopar before I dropped any money on a Shelby. I was laughing because someone from Michigan thought door skins/floors were a lot of rust.:D Hardly any work on that car at all. I'd love to have an E-Body that needed such an extensive resto. :lol:

1967eleanor

factory spoiler delete yo
Established Member
Damn 75k is pretty high up there. How much would you say you have on yours? Just parts and material, since we know you did all the labor.

To be honest I'm not sure. I have a huge book with all kinds of receipts in it but i've never cared to add it up. It doesn't matter to me, when I want to do something and I save up enough money I do it. I'm no where close to "done" with my car. I'm still going to repaint it, build a 363ci dart motor, and re make the entire exhaust/headers in 304 stainless. I'm in the process of building another car right now so I'm gonna get that done/drivable before I dig back into mine, so I have a car to enjoy while I'm doing mine again By then I will be all done getting my bachelors(im a senior right now) and I will have more time.

1967eleanor

Established Member
No Shelby restorations here. I'd restore the last slant 6 Mopar before I dropped any money on a Shelby. I was laughing because someone from Michigan thought door skins/floors were a lot of rust.:D Hardly any work on that car at all. I'd love to have an E-Body that needed such an extensive resto. :lol:

the next time im at the shop I will save the in progress rust repair pictures, I will be sure to post up pictures of what you say is not " a lot" of rust, and is "hardly any work at all"

btw feel free to post up some of your work :beer:

VictorySong

Established Member
the next time im at the shop I will save the in progress rust repair pictures, I will be sure to post up pictures of what you say is not " a lot" of rust, and is "hardly any work at all"

btw feel free to post up some of your work :beer:

Great, I'd love to see the rust repair. It is a lot nicer than anything I've started with that's for sure.:beer:

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
If it took 75k to restore a classic like that, does that mean the car is worth over 100k? I'm just curious.

1967eleanor

Established Member
Great, I'd love to see the rust repair. It is a lot nicer than anything I've started with that's for sure.:beer:

ill grab them the next time im at the shop. Trust me it was much worse than it looked haha. If your interested in seeing some serious rust repair, click on my profile, click my started threads and see the 54 chevy im building. there isnt much there that hasnt been replaced haha:beer:

If it took 75k to restore a classic like that, does that mean the car is worth over 100k? I'm just curious.

In the current market the car would bring about 120-130k. A couple years ago this would have been a 150-160k car at the barrett jackson "peak"

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Damn, I wish I had the funds to just have my Mark painted. All the damn thing needs, and you guys aren't too far from Mass if I recall. Well, if I ever hit the lotto, you guys will know.

1967eleanor

Established Member
Damn, I wish I had the funds to just have my Mark painted. All the damn thing needs, and you guys aren't too far from Mass if I recall. Well, if I ever hit the lotto, you guys will know.

im about 45 mins from the ny/mass state line.Keep in mind too I also do cheaper simpler paintjobs as well. Not everything we do is high end. Actually most of the cars we do are for average working people after all thats who we are.:beer:

Jack Burton

Established Member

I'd imagine. All that salt they put on the roads in TX really puts a beating on those old cars down in TX. :lol1:

But I'm with you on the old E-Body cars. I'd say when I was a kid my dad had probably 5 or so 1970 Challengers. Mainly 383's and 440's, all with the Hurst 4 speed pistol grip. Fun cars. There was a MINT 1970 AAR Cuda the next town over from where I grew up when I was a kid. Loved seeing that on summer days.

Last edited:

1967eleanor

Established Member
As promised more pictures of the rust repair. Just shows you how much can be "hidden"

gt500182.jpg

gt500185.jpg

gt500199.jpg

gt500201.jpg

gt500189.jpg

gt500197.jpg

gt500202.jpg

gt500208.jpg

gt500210.jpg

gt500214.jpg

gt500230.jpg

gt500246.jpg

68shelby004.jpg

gt500239.jpg

68shelbybottom007.jpg

jleews6

Established Member
Wow thats as bad as the KR my friend is working on now. Check out the feet.:lol1:

KR4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread