1968 Dodge Dart "need opinions"

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1968-DODGE-DART-GTS-BLOW-DART-200594
I bought the car with plans to sell it. It was way under priced and I know the builder and watched the build. It was done right so I am not worried about the quality.
Option 1: put a helcat engine in it and take it on the Hotrod Power tour to further the attention of the car before offering it up for sale.
Option 2: Advertise it for sale on the pro-touring forums, ebay, etc.
What say you?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Wow. That is beautiful.

I would sell it as is, if making money is your end game.

scottL

Established Member
Why put a Hellcat motor in it? I'd crank up the boost and have some fun with the existing powerplant.

Recon

Established Member
Why sink 20 grand in an engine when there's nothing wrong with the 493?

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

Zemedici

Established Member
As stated above, leave the car the way it is. Its done right, and will sell. What's it worth? (not too familiar with old school stuff, new mopar is my gig :D)

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards leaving it as is. The engine compartment is so nice, I'm afraid we will mess it up doing the swap.
The builder has 130K in the build the way it is now and it would cost more than that to pay someone to build it.

Recon

Established Member
So your intentions are to flip it? Curious on the price you're asking for it.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'd leave it as is and take it on the PT anyhow. It hasn't been on the show circuit for too long yet so just that may help it's value. MOPAR is starting to get popular, especially with younger buyers, but the dart isn't a sought after model just yet.

It's one of those models that could potentially become really popular, or it may not. I've seen the build and it's quality, but simply because of the model unknown I would have had a hard time paying even what you paid for it, regardless that the work is done to a high standard. That's just me though.

I'd keep it nice, get it out to the public and see what the market would bare for it in 6-8 months myself.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I think you paid all the money at your purchase price .
Certainly would not put more money into it , and hope to make a profit .
Molars are not as sought after as they were prior to the 08 recession .
Just my opinion , and my experience .

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Being a huge Mopar fan, KEEP IT.
Value will go up in the next 10 years.
A body's are starting to gain popularity.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I will have to admit that I am a little surprised that some of you think I paid top dollar for the car, and I am not arguing the point because after all I was the high bidder. I just feel like I lucked up and got a smoking deal on it. Had I not known the build and the builder I probably would not have bought it, but since it was built by a shop with a good reputation and not a back yard guy it seemed like a bargain.

My problem with keeping it is that i already have a 1966 Chevelle with an ls3 which is a nice car as well and I can't keep them both.

Shhhh

Established Member
Drive it and enjoy it as is. If you sell it for more then you paid then its a win win. I agree with some of the other as well. I don't see it selling for what I'm thinking you want for it anytime soon.

Beautiful car either way!

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
The way I am adding it up, I would need to get about 115k with a helcat to get my money back. I just don't know if the car will bring that?

ROMM

Established Member
If you are going to just flip it, definitely don't put anymore money into. I see the car sold for $82,500. Plus you had to pay buyer's fees, which are 10% if you were at the auction. So I am guessing you are into the car for over $90K, and unless you are a dealer, now you gotta pay sales tax or Title Ad Valorem tax or whataver you do in Georgia. Honestly, if you can make ANY money on that car, you would be doing really well. But that is just my opinion and I wish you the best of luck. If you were trying to sell the car for $95K, there are just too many other sweet Mopars that could be bought for that (Challenger, Charger, Road Runner, GTX, Cuda, Super Bee).

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
The wheels are the first thing I'd change on the car. :eek:
LOL. That is not the first time that i have heard that, I am not a fan either.

You guys are just confirming my thoughts and i am starting to regret buying it. It's a shame because it really is a nice car and it was expensive to build. The body and paint are sharp and would cost big bucks to get a shop to do but at the end of the day...it is still a Dart.

Users who are viewing this thread