1966 mustang coupe restoration?

04sonicbeast

Established Member
Whats up everyone, Happy New year, Its been a long time since I have been on the forums. So here it goes. I have a 1966 mustang coupe with a 6cyl and tranny in it. I was planning on pulling out the six and dropping in a 289cI but unfortunately that motor got stolen from my girls grandpas garage. So recently a friend totaled his 94 mustang gt that I sold to him a while back, I believe the motor has about 145k on it and I was wondering if this motor would fit the 66, I have already bought motor mounts that were for a six to eight cylinder conversion and fits 289 or 302 engines. I dont know how much work this would be or if it would be worth it. or should I look around for another motor that is not FI? I live In bowling green OH so if anyone has a running motor that would fit Im interested. I can also get his wreck stang for about 400 dollars so please give me some advice guys. its been 10 years that I have been trying to get this car running. thanks

amorrow

Established Member
A FI 5.0 will certainly work, as there are quite a few on other forums who've done the swap (such as Stangnet or VMF). But in my opinion, it's a lot easier to make the same power much easier with any old carb'd 289/302. There's no doubt there are benefits to FI, but I'm a believer in keeping the old-school old, and a simple 600cfm Edelbrock and matching four-barrel intake works beautifully on any old 289/302, and it's a whole lot cheaper and easier to install, and with a decent set of heads and matching cam, you won't be sacrificing much, if any, power compared to a similarly-spec'd FI 302.

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
It's easier to carb it but if you know the wiring for the EFI and swap it all in then it can be done. The SN-95 T5 if its a 5 speed is different length than the foxbody T5. You will need to swap out the steering for V8 stuff, the springs front and rear, need 5 lug spindles and at least an 8" rear end or use the SN-95 rear but will need it narrowed. Other things: exhaust, radiator, driveshaft length. My 66 started out as an I6 car.

Users who are viewing this thread