1956 Ford F100 Project (LSx motor swap)

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Hey guys - i'm getting ready to start on my next project. I have a 56 Ford F100, in great condition. The truck is all stock, 292 V8, 3 on the tree. Suspension is all stock. Originally I wanted to put a new Coyote 5.0 in the truck, but $7k for a crate motor that's a bit out of my range. Thought about a pushrod 302, but the money I'm going to spend on that I might as well find a LS motor of some sort and swap it in. (not to mention make gobs more power, better fuel economy too) I'm not that savy on LS engines though. I wouldn't mind finding a 5.3 or 6.0 out of a truck honestly. I know some guys will hate on me doing so, but that's what makes "hot-rod's" unique. I've searched the internet, and there is actually quite a few people that's done the swap. After I change my front end to IRS, its practically a direct bolt in and plug up.

But my question for you Chevy guys, which motor do I want? The 5.3 or 6.0? I'm assuming they are the same block. What I would like to do is give the truck some balls, i'm thinking of putting Headers & and a nasty cam in the truck. I'd like to go with a 4L60E trans, but if I could find the newer Chevy auto 6 speed I would do that as well! I already have a LS3 intake and throttle body, so the truck intake will be trashed. I'm looking to make a reliable 400 rwhp.

Goal for the truck is to be able to drive anywhere, achieve "decent" gas mileage. It has a 9" Ford rear end in the truck with a 3.92 gear. Truck will have full air ride suspension, creature comforts of a new car slapped in 57 year old truck.

Will be tearing the truck down to start within the next 2 weeks, will update when I have time :banana:

E$O3200

Established Member
The 5.3L are more abundant and therefore cheaper than the 6.0L. You might want to consider keeping the 5.3 heads and just get them milled a bit, as you will lose your torque down low with the LS3 heads and intake.
I would also go with the 4L80e trans as they are a whole lot stronger than the 60s.
You will find a lot more info on performancetrucks.net

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
The 5.3L are more abundant and therefore cheaper than the 6.0L. You might want to consider keeping the 5.3 heads and just get them milled a bit, as you will lose your torque down low with the LS3 heads and intake.
I would also go with the 4L80e trans as they are a whole lot stronger than the 60s.
You will find a lot more info on performancetrucks.net

Thanks, I will check out the website.

walt460

SN95 Judge
Established Member
I would put that Crown Vic aluminum front cross member and suspension on it and drop in a 5.0 DOHC and 6-speed 6R80 from a 2011+ Mustang...should bolt right to that suspension, fab a trans cross member and you are on your way to unique fun ride.

Forget that expensive FRPP crate motor and controls pack, Get a complete 5.0L 2011+ Mustang drop out; engine, trans, computer, engine wiring, trans wiring, H-Pipe, and body harness, throttle pedal, etc., you can get it all for way less than what FRPP charges AND you get a kick-ass automatic trans.

NO?

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I would put that Crown Vic aluminum front cross member and suspension on it and drop in a 5.0 DOHC and 6-speed 6R80 from a 2011+ Mustang...should bolt right to that suspension, fab a trans cross member and you are on your way to unique fun ride.

Forget that expensive FRPP crate motor and controls pack, Get a complete 5.0L 2011+ Mustang drop out; engine, trans, computer, engine wiring, trans wiring, H-Pipe, and body harness, throttle pedal, etc., you can get it all for way less than what FRPP charges AND you get a kick-ass automatic trans.

NO?

Thought about doing this. I like the crown vic swap, a lot of people do it. I'm in between the crown vic front or the old jag front end. I gotta make that decision and order that this weekend. I found one complete 11 5.0 DOHC with a A6 trans for $4.5k, but the guy sold it. Most of the people want upwards of 6K for their setups. I can get a 5.3 with a 4l60E for 1,200 right now. So if I go Chevy, I can get all my front end knocked out for the price of the Ford DOHC.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Get a 03+ crown vic front end, you can find parts ANYWHERE for that, considering they made a billion of those cars. Its a very stout setup and handles well with the rack and pinion and control arm front end. No damn McPherson struts here.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
While the 5.3/4.8 route is insanely cheaper than the LQ4/9/L92 route....it also wont be easy to make 400rwhp on the smaller c.i. LS platforms N/A. On the bottle people beat them with 175 shots like its nothing and well...well all know how much they love boost.
The good thing is that 5.3s almost seem to not want to break and I only got $480 for mine with 62k miles on it. If you do enough searching...i think an LQ series 6.0 would be in the $1000 area.

Keep an eye out for a used LS1. When they are around 100k miles or so they arent too hard to find for around $1000. Cam swap and some LS6 heads (to stay cheap) and its a solid 400-420rwhp combo with the right boltons/setup.

mjs1012

Established Member
As a chevy/ls guy id say grab a junkyard lq4/9 (6.0) and add some 243/799 casting heads and a mild cam and that'll make good power for relatively low cost. figure that whole setup will be about $2k and youll be around 400hp.

sixt5

Established Member
a 6.0 with ls3 heads and intake with a mild cam WILL make 430-50 depending on drivetrain and tune. thats what i was shooting for before i got turbos on the brain :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread