1956 Ford F100 BUILD (LSx swap inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I acquired this truck about 2 years ago. My father in law got me into these old trucks, and 56 is by far the best year Ford built. I should of left well enough alone when I got the truck, but I had to tear it completely down.

Rundown when I got the truck...

Pretty much original 1956 Ford F100 short box, even though it has "custom cab" emblems it isn't. No rust, 272 y-block and 3 on the tree.

20140312_173108.jpg

20130623_110633.jpg

20130623_110642.jpg

20130623_110624.jpg

20130623_110612.jpg

The tear down begins....

10-1.jpg

7-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

8-2.jpg

9-1.jpg

The truck has been completely torn apart. I went with the original suspension ( I know i'll probably catch some shit for that ) but afterall, its MY truck. I like old school, so I contacted Nostalgia Sid and he heated up my front axle and dropped it 3". Every suspension piece has been replaced, new lowering springs up front & rear. Shimmed the axles for the correct caster, shouldn't have any problem with bump-steer. A properly set up suspension on these things really don't ride that bad, after all its a OLD truck. I HAND sanded the whole frame to bare metal. POR15'd the frame, and undercoated it. What a *****.

Fast forward after paint & body work.... (re assembly of the truck)

1-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

LS swap. Put a TSP 228R cam, new valve springs, shorty headers, LS2 intake. 4l160E with a Ford 9", 3.92 Posi. Truck should run pretty good.

3-1.jpg

Fits just like it belongs there...

4-1.jpg

Areomotive fuel system

2-1.jpg

Custom "Jack Daniels" brake reservoir I made at work...(love having CAD & CNC machines!)

6-1.jpg

Been a long road, but its coming together. At least I can say that I built this thing (other than paint work). It has power brakes, power steering, AC, most of the creature comforts but stuffed into a old truck. I can't wait to see the finished project, I always wanted to do a project like this and didn't think I would get to till later in my life. Got to thank my wife for helping me and being a part of this! The end result, hopefully will be a very reliable truck that we can drive across country. I would love to do the power tour someday, and show it off at SEMA.

Last edited:

TClark22

Established Member
Ok....nice project and its looking good. But come on...an LS in a 56 F100? Just roll it off a cliff now please.

blackbolt2003

Established Member
I agree with TClark22. It's a great looking truck and you are obviously putting lots of time and money into it. So, why not put a coyote or 6.2L in there? Even cooler, a lightning motor from 99-04?

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I agree with TClark22. It's a great looking truck and you are obviously putting lots of time and money into it. So, why not put a coyote or 6.2L in there? Even cooler, a lightning motor from 99-04?

A coyote or 6.2 would be significantly more expensive. I'm not a fan of LS swaps but it's pretty obvious why its popular.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member

you guys want to donate some $$$ to put a coyote in there? believe me that was my first choice. haters gonna hate ;-). trying to do this build on a budget, but its rather difficult. Budget and build shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

edit: LS swap its pretty cheap, when compared to a coyote. I did the LS motor also cause it CAN be very reliable, good gas mileage, ect.

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

Coyote swap will be 2x more expensive than LS and only have a fraction of the aftermarket swap parts available. You can practically buy LS swap kits at walmart now. :shrug:

6.2L again will be crazy expensive, also they are larger than big blocks and have virtually zero aftermarket support.

Stock Lightning motors are only good for about 450hp before they pop.

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Coyote swap will be 2x more expensive than LS and only have a fraction of the aftermarket swap parts available. You can practically buy LS swap kits at walmart now. :shrug:

6.2L again will be crazy expensive, also they are larger than big blocks and have virtually zero aftermarket support.

Stock Lightning motors are only good for about 450hp before they pop.

exactly!

I'm surprised I'm catching so much shit for swapping a LS into a old truck? I figured new technology in a old truck would be pretty cool.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
I think it is a cool truck, by far the best year ever made by ford. I would drive the wheels off that truck!

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
/\

thanks buddy!

got to finish adjusting the rear fenders a bit, then finish wiring and get the harness for the LS. maybe by summer of 15' it will be "drivable".

Zemedici

Established Member
I think its cool. I bet the truck will roll out.

and as stated there's a reason LS swaps are so popular - good power, easy (comparatively speaking) swaps, cheapER. Come on people. If you dont like his build. buy a F100 and do your own.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
Very nice man! Either motor would be a great choice! I love that Jack Daniels reservoir!!! I'd like to have something like that just for a piece on the garage wall! Looking forward to the finished product!

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
Very nice man! Either motor would be a great choice! I love that Jack Daniels reservoir!!! I'd like to have something like that just for a piece on the garage wall! Looking forward to the finished product!

I see your local, come help turn some wrenches and i'll make you one! Thanks for the comments!

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
I think its cool. I bet the truck will roll out.

and as stated there's a reason LS swaps are so popular - good power, easy (comparatively speaking) swaps, cheapER. Come on people. If you dont like his build. buy a F100 and do your own.

word! :beer:

I will get the truck on a dyno one day to see some numbers, it will probably weigh less than 3k pounds. Traction will be a issue for sure, a old fork-lift counterbalance is welded between the frame rails in the back. Tried to get as much weight in the rear as possible.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I can see why you're using a LSx but I don't really like it. But its your truck either way

Looks great though, and those 94-96 F150 Alcoa wheels you have on the truck in that bare frame pic are worth a few hundred bucks so I wouldn't do anything to ruin those. They look like they are mint.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
I totally agree that 56' is the best year. The F100 gathering is only 2hr from me every year, adn my father had a 56' for years- now he's getting the itch again since I just started a 63' C10 build. total advocate for LS swap as well

MTBSully

Established Member
Can't make an LSx swap thread on svtp without a bunch of whiners. Truck and swap are badass OP. I would have done the exact same thing. Can't argue with the performance of an LS motor.

Zemedici

Established Member
word! :beer:

I will get the truck on a dyno one day to see some numbers, it will probably weigh less than 3k pounds. Traction will be a issue for sure, a old fork-lift counterbalance is welded between the frame rails in the back. Tried to get as much weight in the rear as possible.

That or some sand/lead in the bed never hurt :thumbsup:

Casper03

Cobra Guy
Established Member
Their should be a section for LS swaps...............seems everyone is doing this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread