18" wheel ?

03 DSG Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
18" wheel ? need advice ASAP

If you could not lower your car (driveway too steep), would you still get 18" wheels instead of 17"? I'd love some CCWs, but I just don't know if they would look good on a stock ride height 03 Cobra.

Any input?

Last edited:

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
17s will probably look better, but you could run 18's with H&R race springs or another type without a dramatic drop with MM isolators which will only drop it a little bit. I never bottom out with my set up.

03 DSG Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
My biggest problem is that I already scrape my driveway entrance if I don't go super slow and at an angle. I would love to lower my car, but I don't think there is any way I can make it work.

I also like the look of the 18" rims, but I don't know if I could live with them if I wasn't dropped more than stock.

330racing

SVT Poster Boy
Established Member
I think you could drop the back to be the same height between the tire and wheel well. The front looks ok stock, but the back looks jacked up like a mid 70's hoopty. I think if you lowered the back it would look better and not scrape any worse.

03 DSG Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Does anybody have a picture of 17" CCWs on a new edge Mustang? I've seen them on a 94-98 but not on a new edge car. This might be the way to go and it would solve the lowering problem as well as keep tire costs low as well. :beer:

2814v

Established Member
vegaspackerfan said:
I think my 03 looks just fine with the 18's and stock height.

Me too. But I think it will look better when I get off my azz and get those KB springs that are sitting in my garage put on. :mj:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I think I'd try to fix the driveway.

Otherwise, if you're going to get custom wheels, get what you want.

If you go CCW, I would certainly go with 18".

If you were to lower the rear, say 1/2", your approach angle would probably be better than it is now.

03 DSG Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Well, the driveway is definitely going to stay the same. My house is elevated quite a bit from the street and there is no getting past the homeowners association to change the driveway.

I hadn't really thought about lowering just the back and the fact that it would improve the angle. Also, the rear always seems to be what make the car look so much like a 4x4.

3Pete

Midnight Rambler
Established Member
Sb.jpg

17x9.5 and 17x11 CCW

03 DSG Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
3Pete,

I think those look great. What made you decide on 17's and do you regret not going 18's? Your car definitely makes me think I would be happy with 17's. If you get a chance would you PM me price paid for your wheels?

Thanks

3Pete

Midnight Rambler
Established Member
Price at the time (November 2003) was 1950 plus shipping. I don't know how much they have changed. No regrets going with 17's. I live in PA about 30 miles NW of Philadelphia, and after each winter a lot of our roads are wretched until fixed during the summer. This figured into my decision as well as the better ride and Traction of 17's. The cost of tires wasn't a big consideration, but selection was since at the time very few tires were available in sizes wider than 295/35/18. The wheels are light 17lbs front and 19 lbs rear. I take them off for the winter since polished wheels don't like salt much. If was buying these wheels now, I would consider 18's if only for the ability to use 295/35/18 or 305/35/18 or 315/30/18 or 335/30/18 tires. You get a large selection of different tires available this way. With 315/35/17's the only decent choices are BFG KD, Goodyear GS-D3, Nitto 555R or Yokohama 032R's. So if I have a 17" regret it's lack of tire choices. I just ordered BFG KD's to replace my Bald GS-D3's ( 8K miles). Hope this helps you decide.

http://www.ccwheel.com/

3Pete

Midnight Rambler
Established Member
Oops I forgot the Yokohama AVS are available in 315. Ask Bingo13 about these tires if you're interested in them, he had a set on his 03 Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread