18" CCW Wheels & Nitto Tire ???

Venomizd

Established Member
Well I'm ready to place an order for wheels and tire and have done some research from other threads on this forum.
Here is the combo that most appeals to me and I'm wondering if I will run into any issues that I may have missed in my research.

I'm also planning on cutting 1/2 coil off all 4 stock springs.

Any and all opinions would be appreciated here as this is going to be a large investment.

Planning on also ordering the mm IRS bolts.

Rear
18 x11'' CCW 505a wheels with 335/30/18's 555R Drag Radial

Front
18 x 9.5 “ CCW 505a wheels with 275/30/18’s Nitto 555

eltness350

The Untouchable
Established Member
dont "cut" the stock springs....thats really bad for a vehicle since the spring rates are for that specific length of spring hence y they spend tons of money on r and d manufacturing these things.....i have heard tons of stories...yea my car sits crooked "but" its lower now.....drop $250 or whatev and get some nice springs...

userob2002

Banned
eltness350 said:
dont "cut" the stock springs....thats really bad for a vehicle since the spring rates are for that specific length of spring hence y they spend tons of money on r and d manufacturing these things.....i have heard tons of stories...yea my car sits crooked "but" its lower now.....drop $250 or whatev and get some nice springs...

well said

Venomizd

Established Member
Well after reading the thread about how some guys are cutting the stock springs with good results I was sort of convinced.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4869965#post4869965

However I may change my mind after the wheels and tires go on to see how much room or clearence I have with 335 tires in the rear.

My main concern is if I'm going to have an issue's with the wheel and tire combo I posted above. Also wondering if this wheel and tire package would fit on the 07 shelby as thats the car I'm after for next year??

AirForce Hemi

Kenne Bell FTW
Established Member
Venomizd said:
Well after reading the thread about how some guys are cutting the stock springs with good results I was sort of convinced.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4869965#post4869965

However I may change my mind after the wheels and tires go on to see how much room or clearence I have with 335 tires in the rear.

My main concern is if I'm going to have an issue's with the wheel and tire combo I posted above. Also wondering if this wheel and tire package would fit on the 07 shelby as thats the car I'm after for next year??

+1 I have read a lot about cuting the springs too. I kind of scared to do it but after reading this now I'm not so much.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/...front-and-rear-springs-pics-inside-79489.html

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Wow, let me get this straight. You're buying 18" CCWs but you wont spend $200 on a set of lowering springs. :dw:

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Have you talked with CCW about your plans from one car to another? I would think that would make your mind of even getting into these or not. Then, I would suggest making sure you get the rear 6.75" offset to clear the rear. And then, invest in some springs, yo. Steeda makes the best for 99-01. You'll need to do an alignment whether you cut springs or not if that's the real reason you don't want to buy springs. Then bump-steer. Then CC plates.................

jmimac351

Right Wing Conservative
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
Wow, let me get this straight. You're buying 18" CCWs but you wont spend $200 on a set of lowering springs. :dw:

$200 is not "free". Moreover, there is nothing wrong with cutting springs. You don't need to lower the car much and it's easily attainable by cutting the stockers. This is not heresy.

Venomizd: Is there a reason why you want a 9.5" wheel with a 275 front?

The 335 tire is a huge tire. I had the 305 18" Nitto 555RII for another car and would be very hesitant about trying to fit the 335 on the mustang. Keep in mind that the 315/35-17 Nitto 555R is actually a little narrow for that size. It's more like a 295 tire. For instance, the 305 18" nitto 555RII was wider than the 315 17" nitto 555R. If you are using assumptions as to size based on the numbers be careful.

I don't drive my car much and personally plan to try the Kumho V70A tires all the way around. If I were to go with an 18" setup I'd probably opt for a 265/305 width tire front/rear.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
jmimac351 said:
$200 is not "free". Moreover, there is nothing wrong with cutting springs. You don't need to lower the car much and it's easily attainable by cutting the stockers. This is not heresy.

Cutting springs works just fine for the bling crowd.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I cut my rear stock springs and put them in place of the eibach's that were out back. The ride is a lot better with the stock springs. The weight transfer is better. Traction is better, and wheel hop is gone...completely gone. This is not an opinion. The stock coupe springs are very stiff, as a matter of fact they are nearly as stiff as any lowering spring you will buy. Most of the lowering springs that you buy have a stiffer ride in mind for cornering, which was nice back in the days when you only got about 450lb spring rates from the factory. However the coupe's rear springs are 600lbs from the factory and are perfect once cut. They are actually a bit on the long side and this seems to be aiding in the causation of wheel hop. Once they are cut and the weight of the cobra can shift to the rear easier, things become a lot better. My problem with the eibachs was that they were to stiff and did not allow for the best weight transfer to the rear on hard launches. I would get wheel hop from time to time, but on top of that I would not have traction with street tires until about the top of third. With no other changes than cutting 5/8ths of a coil off of the rear stock springs traction is many times better due to better wight transfer, and the ride is a lot more comfortable. As far as I can tell I have not sacrificed any handling and can take the twisties just as hard with the cut stock springs as I could with the eibachs. I went the "correct route" the first time and paid $$$ for aftermarket springs. It was money well wasted. I am one of the few people that has had it both ways, and cutting the stock springs is by far the better route.

-Jeff

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
Cutting a spring increases the spring rate. If you're just cutting a little off this is ok since most aftermarket springs are a little stiffer anyways. But if you go for a big drop by cutting springs it usually rides like shit.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Cutting the stock springs does not alter the spring rate. They are linear, not progressive rate.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread