18" 3 Piece Sterns are on.

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
I've posted pics on a few other websites I'm a member of. I've hesitated in posting the pics here because it isn't a Cobra. Some of you here are members of those other sites and may have seen these. I've mentioned the wheels here and shared what I was going to do with them. Here they are in their finished form. I plan on putting 4 piston Brembo's up front and working on the motor next.

129345.jpg

129346.jpg

129347.jpg

129349.jpg

Hec332

SBF W/Twin 76's Street Car
Established Member
WOW that looks sweet... yeah and what backspacing are you using? It looks like that they won't even come close to rubbing at all...

tommygun

Established Member
looks like the same wheels on the SA10 saleens?

awesome looking set up

cant wait to decide on which 18s for mine

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Thanks guys! They are the same as the SA10's but are 18". The SA10 came with 17's.

The wheels are 18x8 fronts with a 4.5" backspacing and a 245/40 tire the rears are 18x9" with a ~6.75" backspacing and a 275/35 tire. I'm going to run a 1/4" spacer on the rears. That will make them right at the same backspacing as the M179 Cobra R's Ford used to offer. They look good, but I'm going to try and get them closer to the fenderlips.

Tunedin, I got two sets. I originally bought a set of 17's from a place in California that deals in Skyline GTR's and other import stuff. The wheels were a little different than the 17's that came on the SA10. I really didn't notice it too much until I compared the pics. It seems that Stern made a couple of different versions of the same wheel. The first version was offered in 16" and 17" sizes. The second version in the late 90's was offered in 17" and 18" sizes. The second version had a larger center section which was 16 1/2" in diameter vs. the old styles 15 3/4" diameter. My original plan was to use the 17's. In looking into the different styles I thought that it would be cool if I could find a set of 18" hoops I could use the centers in from the 17's I had. As luck would have it a set of 18" Stern's came up on ebay. I jumped all over them because the centers from my 17's would fit in them and give me the backspacing I mentioned above. It was pure luck or destiny, however you look at it. I put the centers in the 18" hoops after having the hoops refinished and that's how they landed in my hands. The 18's came from a company in GA that deals in import cars. It's calld Jhot imports. The company in Cali gets wheels in from Japan a lot and in 2 years I've only seen 2 sets of these Sterns go through their inventory. I bought one of those sets.

The fronts do rub... bigtime. I've got to do some massaging up front and in the rear when I put the spacers on. I'll make some adjustments after the car is aligned properly.

Last edited:

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
Forgot to mention... Lee, I had to take down some of the pics of the 11.65" 4 lug upgrade. I know you had that linked at your site and I'll be happy to take the thread and put it into a Word file for you to post over there and host them. Just PM me if you want them.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Goodson said:
Forgot to mention... Lee, I had to take down some of the pics of the 11.65" 4 lug upgrade. I know you had that linked at your site and I'll be happy to take the thread and put it into a Word file for you to post over there and host them. Just PM me if you want them.

no problem Goodson. Go ahead and put a file together when you get time.
My forums had a malfunction yesterday and as soon as they come back online (hopefully by tommorow) I'll look at what all I had linked

Goodson

Tuning Required
Established Member
I'll start working on putting it together for you this week.

Thanks for the kind words guys! Maybe one day I'll get my teal 93 Cobra. A guy had one when I was in college back in '95. That car was sweet!!

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
unique!! looks awesome, its nice to see something differet and looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread