17x5 Weld RTS fronts for DD?

Blue_Demon

1/4 Mile Ninja
Established Member
Quick and to the point, has anyone ran the RTS 17x5 up front on a DD 5.0 and if so how much does it affect the handling? And what about in the rain? Really interested in going with the 17x5 up front and 17x9 in the rear for a factory fit with no issues. I'm also a base GT so no brembos.

Slowb00st

Established Member
Quick and to the point, has anyone ran the RTS 17x5 up front on a DD 5.0 and if so how much does it affect the handling? And what about in the rain? Really interested in going with the 17x5 up front and 17x9 in the rear for a factory fit with no issues. I'm also a base GT so no brembos.

rain drivability will depend on tire but anything in dr or slick will be extremely dangerous on rain...

Blue_Demon

1/4 Mile Ninja
Established Member
Well I basically am asking if there's a tire made for the 5 inch wheel that handles well in wet traction situations.

yngrshr

Established Member
You could run 215s or something on that. I would want a 6 or 7" wheel, though, for a daily. Driving with 17x5s on a daily is kind of stupid, IMO.

Blue_Demon

1/4 Mile Ninja
Established Member
I may just end up going with 17x7's in the front and 17x9 in the rear due to the fact that I drive through many downpours here in FL. I don't want any sketchyness during these situations.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
Yes you'll have better tire choices with a 17x7 wheel, That'll let you run a 225-55-17 or 235-55 tire that's 27-ish inches tall rather than 25.

Gray5.0

Established Member
I was on a 17x4 and it was scary at times. I just find them and out my order in for 17x7 gonna run a 235/55/17 tire with my 15x10 in the back. The way I figure it is even if I do get into a street race in Mexico with the 17x7 my wheel tire combo is still lighter than 95% of the other guys running me so no biggie

Justin81

Established Member
I was running the 17x4 up front. I don't think the rain was an issue but it generally slowed my whole process of driving down due to the knowledge that there was a skinny in the front. I felt like I had to be so much more delicate. Also, with the 17x4 I ran a 26 inch M/T tire and the car sat entirely too low. (i'm also lowered a good 2 inches). It was not very streetable and I ended up going back to full sized wheels because of it. The rears were M/T Drag radials and the ride was nothing less than frighting in the rain. cruising at 35-40 in 4th you could lose full control of the car.

If I could do it all over, I'd do a full size 17 inch in the front (17x7 or?) with a real tire up front. Than I'd have an 18x9 or 18x10 in the rear but a spare set of 15x10 for the track only.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
I daily drive mine on 17x5 RTS's with no issues. Im running 26" Mickey Thompson sportsman sr's. Does just fine the few times I've been caught in the rain. I run a 15x10 on the rear with a 275/60 Nitto, once again with no issues.

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I drive on 17x5's frequently with 15x 10's in the rear on 28" MT E/T radials. You just have to be careful in the rain, if you drive the speed limit you're going to be fine. Personally, I think it's amazing just how well 17x5's feel going down the highway/cloverleaf on&off ramps. I always respect my car regardless of wheels, so it's no problem for me. If you drive wreckless as it is chances are skinnies aren't for you. I've still taken some curving ramps at 75-80 MPH with zero issues, braking isn't a huge issue because I'm a non brembo car to begin with, car never stopped before. If you were used to brembo's I'd caution you on giving yourself a little more room to shut'er down.

Do it! you can't beat welds on these cars!

P.S. I'm also on the most aggressive(non-air bagged) drop you can do on these cars(2.4 rear 1.7 front which settled to more like 2.6 rear and 1.9 front)

Last edited:

Revvy

I have a 2011 GT Coyote that came with Brembo front brakes and the 19x9 Brembo or Track Pack wheels. With that setup on the car it stopped pretty good compared to my other 11' GT DD that doesn't have the larger brakes. I just recently got done modding my car a bit, Weld RTS 17x4.5" billet front wheels w/ M&H 185 radial tires at first, as they are the only tires available for that skinny front size at least at my time of purchase. I have Weld RTS 15x10 billets w/ Mickey Thompson 275/60/15 Drag Radials (28 in. tall) and for a bit I just ran a JLT CAI, UPR Offroad X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 10 single chamber small mufflers, 93 Octane JMS Performance data log corrected email performance tune, CCI 1 pc. alum. driveshaft, car came w/ 3:73 gears (got lucky) and had a manual MT-82 trans and just those performance mods and lightening the wheels and 1 pc. driveshaft netted me a surprisingly large increase in acceleration, low e.t.'s and approx. +64 WHP on a Dynojet for bolt-ons. But the downside to the front skinnies with Brembo brakes is that those narrow tires will slide on dry pavement if you have to stop in a hurry and not to forget the first time taking a offramp at speeds the wider stock wheels would easily carve before, they left me with a puckered up rear end after sliding sideways around the ramp and I don't mean the car's 8.8 rear end. I just recently got done dropping in a Livernois Pro Series built shortblock, mildly ported heads w/ Boss springs, ARP bolts/studs everywhere, TSS Oil pump gears, JBA headers, JPC Turbo kit, JPC return style triple pump fuel system w/ rails, Fuel Injector Clinic 1100's, Electronic boost controller, AED Failsafe/Boost/Air&Fuel gauge, Running E85 fuel, Tremec Magnum XL trans swap and McCleod Billet flywheel and RXT twin disk clutch, Upgraded suspension all around, and capped the max power at 1058 to the wheels so the Weld 17x4.5's had to go because I do drive this car on the road when it's dry and with only 700+ at the wheels on low boost still makes me feel like I'm piloting a F-18 fighter jet at acceleration even on the road, although I've never really been in one but would love to. I decided to go with wider 17x7's and a Nitto Performance radial seasonal tire plus upgraded Hawk front brake pads for the Brembo's to slow my new rocketship down. They look good and work great, go with at least a 17x7 front wheels unless your car sits on a trailer and rides to the track on one and only drives straight. I drive mine and E85 prices sure beat Cam 2 fuel prices which are over $8.20 per gallon round my way. Hope this might help someone make a wise and safe decision, thanks for reading my book. Ford power. Coyote that is........one.

throthaduece85

spinning not winning
Established Member
i hate driving on the street with my 17x4.5 rts wheels. I only do it going to the track but its 70 miles each way. Its like i am just waiting on something bad to happen. trying to get a 17x7 front setup to run a real tire so i can DD on a drag wheel setup then only have to swap rear wheels for the track.

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
Yeah I never liked driving on 17x5 either, I sold my forgestars, and now run a 17x7 with a real tire up front full time.

2014-11-28%2018.07.22_zpsrgdptw6t.jpg

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we sell a lot of the 17x7's, work very well on this car still cuts a decent amount of weight, and still handles good

soSincerious

Established Member
This is just a theory, haven't experienced it personally, but I feel like such a skinny tire would be far less than ideal if a panic-stop situation should arise.

clean92lx

Established Member
Ugh. I hate you guys. I was dead set on 17x5 RTS wheels and I don't DD my car but also don't track race either. But now I'm thinking I better play it safe and go with 17x7's up front. Wish I knew someone local with 17x5's to go for a ride and see what the fuss is all about

Users who are viewing this thread