17x10.5 wheels on 99

droptopcobra99

Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra Convertible and want to get wheels id like to run 17x9 up front and 17x10.5 in the back with a 315/35/17 tire. ive heard that this setup will fit the 03 and 04 cobra's but not the 99's that you have to do some kind of fab work to get the rears to fit.... is this true???

Sny714

Established Member
99 and 03-04 are the same rear, IRS. Some people need a flat head IRS bolt where others dont. The problem some have is the IRS bolt rubs a little so you can buy a flat head bolt from maximummotorsports(I think) or run a small spacer. I am one of the people that never had a problem with 17x10.5 and 315/35 in the rear, although nitto runs smaller than other tire companies.

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Yes - I have a pair of Nitto DRs on my 10.5 FR500s & they fit fine.
&
No - I have a pair of BFG DRs on my 10.5 '03 Replicas and they would not fit without the low-profile IRS bolt. I also use a small spacer for extra clearance.

Both tires are the same size, but the BFGs run a lot wider.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i run 10.5x17 rears with 315/35/17 Mickey Thompson radials. no spacers or flush bolts or anything. i will say though, when i have my car in the air the tires do catch on that bolt. but when the suspension is loaded they're totally clear, and there's no way they would rub from any bump or anything ever.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
I have a 99 Cobra Convertible and want to get wheels id like to run 17x9 up front and 17x10.5 in the back with a 315/35/17 tire. ive heard that this setup will fit the 03 and 04 cobra's but not the 99's that you have to do some kind of fab work to get the rears to fit.... is this true???

you need wheel spacer. see specs in my signature.

01vert

Established Member
With stock springs some tend to rub, depending on brand. With lowering springs most tend to not rub as much if at all. A low pro bolt helps and the 1 inch spacers bring the tire closer to the outer edge of the wheelwell.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
you need wheel spacer. see specs in my signature.
please read the above posts. most people don't need a spacer...

With stock springs some tend to rub, depending on brand. With lowering springs most tend to not rub as much if at all. A low pro bolt helps and the 1 inch spacers bring the tire closer to the outer edge of the wheelwell.
very good point to bring up. at stock height the tire will more than likely rub against that bolt. lowering brings that bolt down below the tire.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I went through this and had a heck of a time. Stock height, I couldn't get my 10.5's with GSD3's in the back without the button head bolts and 3/8" spacers. So, lower it, get the button head bolts, have the spacers sitting there for just in case and run narrow 315's, and you'll be happy :)

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
please read the above posts. most people don't need a spacer...

very good point to bring up. at stock height the tire will more than likely rub against that bolt. lowering brings that bolt down below the tire.

Thanks, I can read. However, my personal experience with 17 x 10.5 on my car required a wheel spacer. I would have had serious grinding from the IRS bolt, not solved by filing down the head of the bolt in my case.

While I did this a few years ago, I do remember other members indicating that this is trial and error depending on your vehicle, how it sits, springs, etc. Some needed spacers, some grind down the head of the bolt, and some did not need any additional clearance.

I'd suggest buying the spacers and have them handy when doing the changeover. If you don't need them, you can always return them. Good luck.

VtekII

Established Member
i am lowered, i have the low pro bolt from MM and a 7/32 spacer, and also Nittos. so as you can imagine ive got plenty of room. but i went a little overboard becuase i wasnt going to find out if it should decide to shred a sidewall 40 miles from home.

Sny714

Established Member
i will say though, when i have my car in the air the tires do catch on that bolt. but when the suspension is loaded they're totally clear, and there's no way they would rub from any bump or anything ever.

x2. When I had the 17x10.5 that came with the car I had the same experience.

To OP: If you get a spacer go as small as you can since 315+ anything bigger than a 3/8 spacer will push the tire/wheel out of the well. I honestly dont think it will look right but to each their own. I took my 1" spacer off of my 18x10 because I thought it pushed the wheels out too far.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Thanks, I can read. However, my personal experience with 17 x 10.5 on my car required a wheel spacer. I would have had serious grinding from the IRS bolt, not solved by filing down the head of the bolt in my case.

While I did this a few years ago, I do remember other members indicating that this is trial and error depending on your vehicle, how it sits, springs, etc. Some needed spacers, some grind down the head of the bolt, and some did not need any additional clearance.

I'd suggest buying the spacers and have them handy when doing the changeover. If you don't need them, you can always return them. Good luck.
hmm, don't get all flustered man. i never doubted your reading skills, but now that you mention it it makes me wonder....well your above post basically reinstated what i was saying. some need a spacer, and most seem to be fine. originally you said he needed a spacer. that isn't true at all and i was just letting you know that the posts above your first one describe instances where nothing was needed at all for clearance(myself included). but you've changed your input now, so it's cool.

come to think of it, i've had my current wheel combo(17x10.5 w/ MT 315/35's) on my 99(with the IRS still), 03, and 01 and have never needed a spacer or flush bolts. and MT 315's are a wider tire of the bunch, compared to say, Nittos...

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
hmm, don't get all flustered man. i never doubted your reading skills, but now that you mention it it makes me wonder....well your above post basically reinstated what i was saying. some need a spacer, and most seem to be fine. originally you said he needed a spacer. that isn't true at all and i was just letting you know that the posts above your first one describe instances where nothing was needed at all for clearance(myself included). but you've changed your input now, so it's cool.

come to think of it, i've had my current wheel combo(17x10.5 w/ MT 315/35's) on my 99(with the IRS still), 03, and 01 and have never needed a spacer or flush bolts. and MT 315's are a wider tire of the bunch, compared to say, Nittos...

No hard feelings. Makes you wonder what tolerances Ford deemed acceptable when designing this puppy. As another guy stated above, I would have shredded a sidewall without a spacer.

Also, I do reall others saying that MTs are wider that Nitto's. I though the width difference was marginal. What is the difference?

Either way, I'm sure all will agree that a 10.5" rim on the rear looks incredible on these cars. I remember the before and after - WOW, what a difference. The Cobra totally took on a different look, stance, etc. It looks much more aggressive. Plus, if you spend the money and put some good rubber on the rear, you can actually put that hard earned horsepower down to the road!

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i'd say the MT's are a solid 3/8" wider on each side. they are quite a bit bigger than Nittos for sure!

agreed for sure, 10.5" looks amazing and can also be very effective with the better traction it provides!

Users who are viewing this thread