17 US service men test positive for radiation

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Shits getting bad, I'm not a religious man but if there is a god may he have mercy on everyone over there. Us bickering about politics and shits makes my worries seem highly trivial compared to the devastation in Japan. First time in my life I feel like crying FOR someone.

Japan Nuclear Plant Rocked By Second Blast, Nuclear Rods Likely Melting

Read a bit further and it stated the radiation levels aren't enough to adversely affect them but the simple fact that leaks are occurring is alarming considering there are residents closer than the military personnel I'm sure.

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Please share bud.

I'm sure things are much worse than both (Japan and ours) governments admit.

Our Troops do what they are told and their health should be #1. Let's not jump any guns to go over and get our Troops something they are stuck with for the rest of their lives.

Second quote supports what I would guess. Not like I know if it's worse but still our Troops health should be our #1 concern.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, but how much radiation did they receive? Dosage is everything when it comes to x-ray. Everyone gets radiation just from living in this universe, I'm talking x-ray and gamma ray and microwaves, all the time, all our lives.

Jim Snover

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yes, but how much radiation did they receive? Dosage is everything when it comes to x-ray. Everyone gets radiation just from living in this universe, I'm talking x-ray and gamma ray and microwaves, all the time, all our lives.

Jim Snover

With as bad as things are I'm sorry for fearing the worst and praying our Troops and all volunteers stay safe. Along with the other Countries doing the same.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not criticizing anyone. Sorry if my tone came across that way. They're in my prayers as well. But until I hear something more substantive from the media, such as received dosage, the information that "They received radiation exposure" may be essentially meaningless.

Jim Snover

With as bad as things are I'm sorry for fearing the worst and praying our Troops and all volunteers stay safe. Along with the other Countries doing the same.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I'm not criticizing anyone. Sorry if my tone came across that way. They're in my prayers as well. But until I hear something more substantive from the media, such as received dosage, the information that "They received radiation exposure" may be essentially meaningless.

Jim Snover

That's the thing in that I don't want to hear that because if we do then it's to late for many thousands of people. I sure hope we're being told most everything and if so then they "should" be fine.

I didn't take you the wrong way just discussing.:beer:

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
It was almost nothing and was external radiation.

People need to stop talking about radiation like its a black and white thing. Even at the front of the power plant radiation levels are still currently within legal limits.

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member

Jim Snover

Agreed. The only numbers I've heard as far as radiation exposure is that the plant is releasing about as much radiation per hour as the average person receives annually (~350 mREM). This isn't a great deal, but this number could very easily change.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
It was almost nothing and was external radiation.

People need to stop talking about radiation like its a black and white thing. Even at the front of the power plant radiation levels are still currently within legal limits.

Most of us here know this and the frequency in which we are exposed to radiation on a daily basis, my point was considering the service mens distance from the facility along with the fact that its being reported means it had to have been slightly above normal dosage amounts. Considering many elements that produce normal amounts of radiation are not functional at the moment (cell towers/phones/etc...) it leads me to believe things are much worse than reported. Consider those that live near the facility (if any do).

oldmodman

Established Member
I got my geiger counter out on Saturday and put fresh batteries in it.

Checked the wind patterns over the Pacific and it looks like the winds will blow the fallout into Canada, and northern Washington State with a small chance of some light dusting into northern Oregon.

Hopefully there will be rain all across the Pacific to drop the particles into the ocean.

My counter is very accurate below 100 mr and less so above 2500. At which point I won't really care since my life span will be measured in hours at that level.

Waiting for James to put up an accurate survival/dosage chart.

czwalga00gt

Rx7 Soul Destructor
Established Member
Most of us here know this and the frequency in which we are exposed to radiation on a daily basis, my point was considering the service mens distance from the facility along with the fact that its being reported means it had to have been slightly above normal dosage amounts. Considering many elements that produce normal amounts of radiation are not functional at the moment (cell towers/phones/etc...) it leads me to believe things are much worse than reported. Consider those that live near the facility (if any do).

They've taken readings right at the plant. Unless they are lying, i'm not sure what basis you would have to conclude that.

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
They've taken readings right at the plant. Unless they are lying, i'm not sure what basis you would have to conclude that.

For one, everything thats being reported points to an immanent meltdown. Safety measures at all 3 reactors failed. Secondly, in 1997 there was a fire at the same facility, "all was reported fine" but 37 workers returned to be exposed to toxic levels of radiation. I take what they say with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
These don't make light reading, but here you go:

Here is one that shows radiation from everyday sources:

INL Oversight: Guide to Radiation Doses and Limits

Here is one that deals with doses that cause radiation sickness.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_poisoning]Radiation poisoning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Note how large a dose it takes to harm you vs. what we get from the environment. Nothing like this has yet been released from the Japanese Dai Ichi reactors.

I have heard one figure on the radio that the sailors mentioned in this thread received an additional month's worth of normal dosage from the environment. That is nothing. You get more than a month's worth just having one chest x-ray, and chest x-rays are very low dose studies.

Also note how much less radiation there is from a nuke plant compared to a coal powerplant. Coal contains thorium and uranium and if you live within fifty miles of a coal plant you get 3mrem pr year. If you live near a nuke powerplant, you get .009mrem per year.

One sound bite I hear is that the Dai Ichi plant released 10,000 times its normal amount of radiation. Well, .009 X10,000 = 90mrem released. It makes a great news sound bite to say "10,000 times normal the normal amount of radiation was released," but when you do the math, it isn't much to talk about at all.

Jim Snover

Waiting for James to put up an accurate survival/dosage chart.

Users who are viewing this thread