16in wheels?

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
Ive got some money ive been setting back to go for a new set of rims/tires. Ive looked at alot of diffrent styles. Im thinking 16x7 Rota Slipstreams with 215/45 Kuhmo 711 rubber. I havent done alot of research on them, but i believe they come black and bronze. Im really partial to bronze, but i like the black too. Any thoughts on these or other wheels?

svo_dave

Established Member
why 16's? I have some 16" svtc wheels on my car right now, but their temps, I would use for winter or put nitto's on them, but other than that, I don't see why 16's.

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
The general idea is to reduce rotating mass. Rota Slipstreams in 16in are about 14lbs each i believe.

I plan on getting heavy into Solo II and trying to make a few Solo I events down at the Birmingham track. Unfortunately, the only autox events ive been to have been small, unsanctioned "test & tune" G2Gs, but im looking forward to getting into actual SCCA events sometime this year.

svo_dave

Established Member
Don't you get better handling with 17's though, I've read that, but maybe if you go with real low profile 16's it wouldn't matter, also, you can get some pretty damn light 17's these days.

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
I dont think the actual height of the rim pertains to the handling, just the amount of tire touching the ground. 16s would allow a more agressive drop also. I dont know really, im pretty far from making a definite decision. This car is going to be a daily driver also, so ive still got alot of things to consider.

Tired

Needs 4 more cylinders.
Established Member
I dont know if thats exactly economical though. I would be able to keep my stock contisports, but they arent exactly the grippiest tires around. Stock SVTF rims weigh 21lbs each, with 17lb rims im only saving 16lbs and 4lbs at each corner. With 14lb rims im saving 28lbs and 7 at each corner.

imajsdaddy

Established Member
Have you stripped the rest of the car? DID YOU TAKE THE AUDIOPHILE SUB OUT? Untill that all happens, is the tire weight really going to make a difference? I'm sure there is a lot of extra wright that can be removed to make up for the extra 28 lb of tire weight. seats, dash, speakers, stereo, head liner, etc.

I have 16" stock Foci wheel (from a zx3) for my winter tires. I have the same diameter tires on them as the 17's... Talk about horrible handling. God forbid I take a corner at the posted speed limit... Serious body roll and loss of traction...

I know the conti-sport tires arn't the best performance tire but I'd prefer those till they need to be replaced any day.

Not that thats where you were going but...

Last edited:

jerzefigga

Established Member
imajsdaddy said:
Have you stripped the rest of the car? DID YOU TAKE THE AUDIOPHILE SUB OUT? Untill that all happens, is the tire weight really going to make a difference? I'm sure there is a lot of extra wright that can be removed to make up for the extra 28 lb of tire weight. seats, dash, speakers, stereo, head liner, etc.

I know this is old, and you probably dont post anymore seeing as you have 19 post in 3 years...BUT taking 1lb off of the rotational mass is equivalent to removing 100lbs from the chassis. FYI

Users who are viewing this thread