$1600 to replace clutch!!??

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
2004 SVT Focus already needs a new clutch. $1600!

I can replace the clutch in my Cobra 5 times over for this.

:fm:

brapple

Established Member
i'm guessing the focus is similar to the contour in the fact the ford instructions say that the whole engine/mtx assemble would be pulled to change the clutch. this is easily 9 hours of book time which makes your quote right in line whith where I believe it would be.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
i'm guessing the focus is similar to the contour in the fact the ford instructions say that the whole engine/mtx assemble would be pulled to change the clutch. this is easily 9 hours of book time which makes your quote right in line whith where I believe it would be.

Stealership and most other shops I have called. ~9 hours book @$100 an hour.

I wish I had the time and shop space to do it myself!

These clutches apparently go bad pretty readily. I guess I should have done some homework ont his thing before I picked it up.

Not only do you have to replace the clutch, but the flywheel needs to come out too!

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
pretty normal to have to resurface the flywheel when a new clutch is installed.

Not on these cars. Youy MUST replace flywheel.

~$350 - flywheel
~$500 - Clutch kit
~$750 - labor to install

50,000 miles give or take

I spend wayyyy too much time under my Cobra. I need to figure this front wheel drive crap out for myself.

elliot400

Certifiable SVT Poster
Established Member
Sorry to hear about that man! At least for that money, you can go aluminum flywheel and stronger clutch. You should see a modest gain in overall performance, and lots faster revs! Good luck! E-

jasonpalamar

Established Member
thats exactly why i sold my SVTf and bought a GTO. I'm not paying that kinda money or a 4 banger to keep on the road. Was a nice car but cost was too much for the type of car it was.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
thats exactly why i sold my SVTf and bought a GTO. I'm not paying that kinda money or a 4 banger to keep on the road. Was a nice car but cost was too much for the type of car it was.

I hear you. It is my daughter's car so I needed to get it fixed. I just look at it as $1600 less of modicfications on the Cobra this year.

Oh well. It is only money.

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
97,000 on mine no problems with the clutch.....that sucks though that it costs $1600 to replace mine will sit if the clutch goes bad till I can replace it.

Juruense

Banned
I thought the bill to replace the clutch on my Cobra was high at $950...

I was seriously considering dumping my Civic for a SVTF, not so much now...

tjs98gt

Established Member
i love my svtf, but it is definately expensive to fix when parts go bad. just replaced the IMRC actuator the other day my self @ $105 with only 33k on it

ucntseemeee

2003 SVT Focus
Established Member
$1600 is about right, you can get an oem clutch kit from clutchcity.com for $525 and have the dealer just do labor for around 700 or so... im getting mine done next year around feb or march. im just tired of hearing the throw out bearing

Sapperstang

Established Member
Mine has 85K and I believe it is on the stock clutch. The tranny or throw out bearing or something rattles like crazy with the clutch out.

Users who are viewing this thread