160 degree thermostat

Justicem

06/26/02 #1018
Established Member
I just got the Diablo Predator and it came with a 160 degree thermostat. Should I install this? or isn't it really worth it?

umustdv8

Established Member
I have the 160 installed. It does help the car run a few degrees cooler.

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by umustdv8
I have the 160 installed. It does help the car run a few degrees cooler.

What he said.

TIP: Don't forget to go into the "modify tune" section when downloading and adjust the fan kick-on kick-off settings down to take advantage of the therm. If you've got a Hypertech therm they have instructions that suggest settings.:beer:

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Originally posted by predator
I don't believe it really helps. Here is an article for you to ponder...........

http://www.are.com.au/feat/techt/thermostat.htm

I agree with the article but it focuses more on operating an engine withinin "design parameters". What we're doing here is trying to squeeze more power "safely" from a given engine. When you install a cooler thermostadt it will keep the heads a little cooler allowing you to safely advance the timing a little bit without bringing on detonation. It also helps to keep your intake charge cooler therefore more dense.
When you hop in your car when it's cool you can notice the power difference.

predator

Established Member
I agree with the concept....it worked on my early model stangs, but with the way the plumbing is setup on our cars the thermostat seems to be a null issue. Ford designed the car's cooling system like the article said....for everyday driving with a little performance thrown in. Many of us have pushed beyond that..... and what have we found? Hot spots and over heating. Even more proof is the fact that some of the racing teams running these cars...i.e. Steeda, are having serious problems with overheating at the track. A cooler thermostat will not help a system that already has flow problems. Some R&D is going on right now with Evans and some solutions...I am sure...will be published in a future thread. ;-)

Nuclrslug

Kwality iz job won.
Established Member
Good point. What I like about mine is the fact if I'm crusing down the road and I nail it, my coolent temp starts at 165-170 versus 190-200. Plus I figure it doesn't hurt to keep underhood temps down. If I were to road race I'm sure I'd have issues.

QUESTION: Have you ever heard of anyone adding a temp gauge to the IC system?

maoun

Established Member
i have a temp gauge on my IC system...and on the regular water

my true recommendation is to drop the t-stat and replace it with a regulator. works great for all the cars we've done it to

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by Nuclrslug
I agree with the article but it focuses more on operating an engine withinin "design parameters". What we're doing here is trying to squeeze more power "safely" from a given engine. When you install a cooler thermostadt it will keep the heads a little cooler allowing you to safely advance the timing a little bit without bringing on detonation. It also helps to keep your intake charge cooler therefore more dense.
When you hop in your car when it's cool you can notice the power difference.

I disagree..... sorry

A cooler thermostat only help slow the warming up period of the engine. It does not open any more or less than a hotter thermostat.
The engine temp is based on lots of things coolant flow,fans,MPH,RPM,outside temp and engine load...

maoun

Established Member
a cooler t-stat definitely does keep it cooler because it allows more cooling effect on the heads, etc.

if your car would be at 160 with no t-stat in, but you have a 190 in, then your car will probably be closer to 190 most of the time

pvteye

Established Member
A car with no thermostat at all will eventually reach its designed operating temp. A cooler thermostat will only effect engine temp by opening earlier, the engine will continue to warm until it reaches designed temps. 160 vs 190 degree thermostat will do nothing for performance.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by pvteye
A car with no thermostat at all will eventually reach its designed operating temp. A cooler thermostat will only effect engine temp by opening earlier, the engine will continue to warm until it reaches designed temps. 160 vs 190 degree thermostat will do nothing for performance.

That's not true at all. A radiator can absorb a set amount of heat with the only variable being outside temperature. A car on the other hand generates varying levels of heat based on the driving conditions its presented with. They design the cooling system to handle a certain level of abuse. It varies for the cars but lets say your cobra's cooling system was designed to be able to maintain its set operating temperature when its using say 80% of its power potential for a prolonged period of time. Now what happens when you are only generating 20% of its possible heat, for instance when you are doing 55 on a highway? If there was no thermostat the radiator would still absorb the same amount of heat but the car wouldn't be generating as much. So the engine temperature would be well below normal, which is a definite problem for engine longevity, fuel economy, emitions, ect, ect.

Users who are viewing this thread