15x10 Race Stars on 2007 GT500?

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
What's up everyone, was just wondering if anyone has had 15x10 Race Stars or Dark Stars on a GT500, I was on AM earlier and it says fitment excludes the GT500 due to hitting the brake caliper and was wondering if anyone has ever experienced this issue?

Thanks for any input!

SirShaun

Established Member
I don't have Race Stars/Dark Stars but I would listen to the disclaimer.

I have the SVE Drag Pack in Dark Stainless and had a wheel weight nightmare on the rear 15x10s. The tire shop who mounted the DRs used two thick of a wheel weight. I took off down the road and got 3 wheel weights stuck in the caliper. Spent an hour trying to fish them out without taking the caliper off. It's a very tight fit. You can't fit your finger between the wheel and the caliper. Low Profile weights fixed my issue however.

This will open a whole new argument however in regards to balancing drag radials or not. I opted to balance them due to a lot of street miles. The argument being the tire slips the bead and the balance gets thrown off during hard launches. Weights also have the potential to fly off at the track and mess crap up. Some people choose to mark the tire in comparison to the wheel weights to see if they move, and also use duct tape to keep the weights from flying off.

You will definitely need a sway bar relocation kit regardless, to run a 15x10 wheel. Hopefully you are already aware.

Whatever you do Weld your axle tubes, and I suggest welding your LCA reloaction brackets if you plan on those too. Just spent $2k on a built 8.8 + install due to twisting the stock rear something bad.

Last edited:

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
I'm just confused because AM is the only one with a disclaimer, anyone have these on their GT500 that can confirm or negate the disclaimer??

TVS VERT

Established Member
image.jpg
image.jpg

Zero fitment issues as long as you have sway bar relocation brackets

These are 15x10 with a 29x10.50W tire

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
I don't have Race Stars/Dark Stars but I would listen to the disclaimer.

I have the SVE Drag Pack in Dark Stainless and had a wheel weight nightmare on the rear 15x10s. The tire shop who mounted the DRs used two thick of a wheel weight. I took off down the road and got 3 wheel weights stuck in the caliper. Spent an hour trying to fish them out without taking the caliper off. It's a very tight fit. You can't fit your finger between the wheel and the caliper. Low Profile weights fixed my issue however.

This will open a whole new argument however in regards to balancing drag radials or not. I opted to balance them due to a lot of street miles. The argument being the tire slips the bead and the balance gets thrown off during hard launches. Weights also have the potential to fly off at the track and mess crap up. Some people choose to mark the tire in comparison to the wheel weights to see if they move, and also use duct tape to keep the weights from flying off.

You will definitely need a sway bar relocation kit regardless, to run a 15x10 wheel. Hopefully you are already aware.

Whatever you do Weld your axle tubes, and I suggest welding your LCA reloaction brackets if you plan on those too. Just spent $2k on a built 8.8 + install due to twisting the stock rear something bad.

I have DR on the car now that are balanced for the same reason you pointed out, my car is street driven 99% of the time and I don't really launch the balls off it but I definitely need to weld my axle tubes to avoid going through the headache you went through with getting a new rear end lol

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Running 15 x 10 Race Stars at the track for five years now. Like mentioned above, need sway bar relocation brackets. But they fit fine besides that.

kawibrian

I'm a Snaaaaake
Established Member
Running 15 x 10 Race Stars at the track for five years now. Like mentioned above, need sway bar relocation brackets. But they fit fine besides that.

Awesome, thanks for confirming the fitment with a relocation bracket, looks like I'll be putting 15x10 Race Stars under the tree for myself :dancenana:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I would recommend that you go with the direct drill version. I ran the unilugs for a bit and they were a little tedious putting them on the car correctly and were difficult to properly torque at times. Shop around and you can find pretty good deals. I paid $368 for my pair back in the spring and found them a month later for $40 cheaper!

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I had race stars all around and I had a bad experience with them and wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. No matter how many times I had them balanced they vibrated my car so bad. I know I'm not the only one and I know there are those that have never had issues, I'm just sharing my personal experience. You get what you pay for. I now run weld rts, yes they're pricey but the quality is worth it imho. Anyways as long as you get the right BS, I believe 7.5 and the sway bar relocation brackets they fit well. The reason AM says they won't fit is because they won't unless you use the relocation brackets. If you need the discount code for AM it's svtperf11am

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Billet Specialties Street Lites are a nice option……you actually order there F-body wheel with a Ford bolt pattern….they have several different finish options….you would need the same relocation bracket to run these but they are very nice quality and don't have the unilug issues...

Speedboosted

Established Member
Billet Specialties Street Lites are a nice option……you actually order there F-body wheel with a Ford bolt pattern….they have several different finish options….you would need the same relocation bracket to run these but they are very nice quality and don't have the unilug issues...

Most Racestars come in direct drilled now. All of the ones we have are direct drilled. By the way, I'll take you up on that wheel swap on the next nice weekend (if we ever get one lol).

Here are 15x10 with 7.25" BS and 325/50's. Only issue we had was the tire was close to the bumpstop bracket on the inside. In this picture, there is a 3/8 spacer on each side

11117252_10206963650229281_6688223198185648476_o_zpsxwltpa4u.jpg

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Established Member
I just got 15x10 welds, most run 275/60-15 tire, Can I go wider? 275 just does not seem wide enough for me!

Yes, see above. Anything from a 275-325 will fit on a 15x10. I would argue that a 295/55 is the most effective as not as much contact patch is wasted, but the 325s do look neat.

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Most Racestars come in direct drilled now. All of the ones we have are direct drilled. By the way, I'll take you up on that wheel swap on the next nice weekend (if we ever get one lol).

Here are 15x10 with 7.25" BS and 325/50's. Only issue we had was the tire was close to the bumpstop bracket on the inside. In this picture, there is a 3/8 spacer on each side

11117252_10206963650229281_6688223198185648476_o_zpsxwltpa4u.jpg

Sounds good……just let me know…..you going to try some street hits or wait for PIR in March…..street hits are a little scary this time of year…lol…potential for some fourth gear sideways action….not fun...

Speedboosted

Established Member
Sounds good……just let me know…..you going to try some street hits or wait for PIR in March…..street hits are a little scary this time of year…lol…potential for some fourth gear sideways action….not fun...

Street if it's been dry for a few days in a row. Highly unlikely but ya never know. There's some good roads out by Sean's house. I picked up some front runners yesterday so I wouldn't mind trying them out at the same time. I'll text you when we're ready!

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
325/50/15's fit, barely lol, they won't spin freely while the car is jacked up. Once you lower it they're ok but you may get some rubbing when going over bumps. They do look amazing, I got so many compliments when I had them.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
I had race stars all around and I had a bad experience with them and wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. No matter how many times I had them balanced they vibrated my car so bad. I know I'm not the only one and I know there are those that have never had issues, I'm just sharing my personal experience. You get what you pay for. I now run weld rts, yes they're pricey but the quality is worth it imho. Anyways as long as you get the right BS, I believe 7.5 and the sway bar relocation brackets they fit well. The reason AM says they won't fit is because they won't unless you use the relocation brackets. If you need the discount code for AM it's svtperf11am

I bought mine off a guy that said he had the same issue. He wasn't running the hub rings after adding those and new lugs and haven't had an issue.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I bought mine off a guy that said he had the same issue. He wasn't running the hub rings after adding those and new lugs and haven't had an issue.

I bet a lot of people forget about the hub rings. I forgot to take them off one day...that sucked. Luckily new ones were cheap

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Just an FYI…..when you are rebuilding your rear end if you narrow it 1" the 325's and 10.5W's will fit flush or just inside the fender well….if you are ordering new axles and having your tubes welded it really isn't much more work or $$$ to order shorter axles and have the housing shortened up an inch…..Corey you have seen my car with 325's and 10.5W's so you know what I'm talking about….they don't stick out at all and thats the only mod to my axle other then removing the bump stops brackets…..with the 10.5W's on I can lower the car over the top of the tire and they won't rub….

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread