15th Anniversary Chilly Cook Off

dougwg

Established Member
"Once again, we are organizing our 15th annual “Chili Cook-off,” scheduled for Saturday, August 25, 2007. This community affair, sponsored by the Firefighters, was instituted to reach out to children who have been injured or disfigured by severe burns. This special day raises proceeds to send these afflicted children to Pretty Lake Vacation Camp, where the children are encouraged to build their self-esteem, not only by counselors who are attentive to their needs, but also by interacting with other burn victims."

http://www.mpffu.org/fundraisers/2007CHILICOOKOFF.pdf

DEARBORN HEIGHTS - The Dearborn Heights Fire Department will host the 15th annual Chili Cook-off and Family picnic from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday in the upper area of Parkland Park.
The annual event helps raise funds that allow children injured or disfigured by severe burns to attend the "Pretty lake Vacation Camp," a weeklong camping adventure hosted by the Great Lakes Burn Camp.
It costs about $500 to send one child to the camp, according to Dearborn Heights Firefighter Paul Nieto, who organized the cook-off with fellow firefighter Bill Herman Jr.
In 2006, the cook-off raised more than $10,000, and organizers are hoping to exceed that amount this year, Nieto said. A portion of the funds raised this year will also be used to help support a young girl battling bone cancer.
For a $1 donation, guests will be able to sample one of more than 20 different varieties of chili — the most ever offered during the cook-off, Nieto said.
A raffle will also help raise funds during the cook-off. More than $10,000 in prizes has been donated from sponsors including Best Buy and Sears, Nieto said.
Residents will also have the opportunity to win a Harley Davidson motorcycle during a raffle sponsored by the Dearborn Heights Police Supervisors Association. The raffle is normally held during the city's annual Spirit Festival, Nieto said, but was moved this year to coincide with the annual cook-off.
Hamburgers, hot dogs, and refreshments will also be available, and residents are invited to take part in a variety of games and activities that will be available.
For more information about the annual Chili Cook-Off, or to make a donation, contact Nieto at (313) 791-3676.
Contact Staff Writer Sean Delaney at (313) 359-7820 or [email protected].

I'm going!

Who's with me?

Last edited:

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
This is an event that I know we would all enjoy!!:pop: :beer:

I wanted to organize a mini car show featuring the rides of the MCT at this event, but it slipped through the cracks this year cause I'm on duty the day of the cook-off and previous years it was held on the day of the WDC.

I encourage all that want to have a good time...check this picnic out. Bring the lady and the kids and an empty stomach...you won't be disappointed!!

R-CODE

Established Member
i will be there with my girlfriend our appetite and donation. this time i'll bring the Bells.

Gotti

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
you know I'm attending.....

eating lots of chili will result in :fart:

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
Not only is some awesome styles of chili served...but hot dogs, hamburgers, corn on the cob, chips, pop and BROWN MILK is on tap & abundant!!!:beer:

Live music by Benny & the Jets, door prizes, raffles, usually a helicopter landing, kids games, horseshoes & water deluges provided by the fire trucks for those who need to cool off!!:coolman:

There is no entry fee!!!! Just pay for what you eat or drink...the atmosphere is FREE!!!!!:-D

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
rain is done and I'm on my way!

2007chilicookoffpage1ca3.jpg

2007chilicookoffpage2om9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread