$1500 bucks Need Opinions

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Anyone rockin the Hurst shifter? It is the least expensive....I think. As far as set ups; I think I may go with the MRT H pipe, Mac S/S C/B,,and H&R Race springs w/ c/c plates. I may need just a bit more. DuffManRHA,,what kind of deal can you get on the MAC stainless steal? Its the only mac I would consider. I checked with mac and they want 499+shipping-military discount=$489 shipped. Can anyone do any better? The other choice would be the SLP L/M2 w/slp catted X.....both exhausts are about the same price,,which will make more proven power?

Asp - sorry to take a bit to get back to you, been out of town for the x-mas hub bub and what not, but good to be back in warm (relatively) So Cal. Yep I can get the Mac S/S system, its 2.5" w/ 3.5" tips so they will fill out the bumper holes nicely. Retail goes for $499.95 + ship and we normally charge $419.95 + shipping, but I talked to the pops and let him know its thru SVTP and he dropped it a bit to $409.95 + ship. Not a ton, but every bit helps! These go pretty fast because of the stainless steel factor and the cost is much less than comparable systems, so if you want this PLEASE let me know ASAP w/ some contact info and I will give you a call or have my dad call you.

BTW, of course anyone else interested in these, let me know - been thinking of putting together a GP - if THIS sounds good, let me know and we'll set it up (especially since its one system for all 99-04 Cobras).

Thanks,

Eric

2001asp

Established Member
So with the $1500 im gonna get the tokico advanced handling kit 400+, c/c plates, Mac exhaust s/s, and either MRT catted H or SLP catted X.....help with the mid pipe please. They both sound good, the local mustang guru(mustang race car setter-upper) here said stay away from the x because I wont be touching the rpm's that nascar does and also said that mustangs do better with more torque vs. h/p......please discuss

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
They both sound good, the local mustang guru(mustang race car setter-upper) here said stay away from the x because I wont be touching the rpm's that nascar does and also said that mustangs do better with more torque vs. h/p......please discuss

:dw: I think you better find a new guru.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
So with the $1500 im gonna get the tokico advanced handling kit 400+, c/c plates, Mac exhaust s/s, and either MRT catted H or SLP catted X.....help with the mid pipe please. They both sound good, the local mustang guru(mustang race car setter-upper) here said stay away from the x because I wont be touching the rpm's that nascar does and also said that mustangs do better with more torque vs. h/p......please discuss

the difference between x and h pipes has to do more with exhaust tone, drone, and general sound of the exhaust. the power diff between the two is negligible and a dyno test that has a diff of a few HP could just be a variable in the test itself! a h-pipe will give it more of a rumbly muscle car sound, while an x-pipe is a higher pitched sound, more "exotic" sounding

but yea, people that claim to know it all, typically know nothing

Eric

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member

What is this guy talking about? RPMS of nascar?? we all turn 4 5 6 7 grand rpms in differnet cars? what does he mean?

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
the difference between x and h pipes has to do more with exhaust tone, drone, and general sound of the exhaust. the power diff between the two is negligible and a dyno test that has a diff of a few HP could just be a variable in the test itself! a h-pipe will give it more of a rumbly muscle car sound, while an x-pipe is a higher pitched sound, more "exotic" sounding

but yea, people that claim to know it all, typically know nothing

Eric

WORD TO YOUR MOTHER:bowdown:

2001asp

Established Member
SORRY ABOUT MY CRAPPY POST EARLIER (spelling,grammer sucked), I NEVER PROOF READ IT. I JUST TYPED IT AND WENT DISHWASHER SHOPPING.......OOOOO FUN. ANYWAY, WHAT THE GURU GUY WAS TALKIN ABOUT WAS HOW NASCAR GEARING KEEPS THE RPMS HIGHER(up to 10,000rpm) THEN OUR CAMMER MOTORS AND FOR MUCH much LONGER PERIODS OF TIME. SO WHEN WE ARE REACHING OUR REDLINE, NASCAR STILL HAS MORE rpm UP-TOP, ITS WHERE THE X PIPE MAKES POWER. THE HIGHER THE RPM THE MORE EFFIECIENT THE X PIPE GETS. FOR OUR CAMMERS MOTORS; WHEN USING THE X PIPE, AS WE START TO GET INTO THE HIGHER RPM THE X PIPE MAKES ITS POWER GAIN BETWEEN 5000 AND 6800 AND THEN WE HAVE TO SHIFT AND IT STARTS ALL OVER IN THE NEXT GEAR BELOW THE X PIPE SWEET SPOT.....ANYTHING UNDER 5000 RPM AND THE X PIPE IS A WASTE. I AM ONLY SPITTING OUT WHAT THE GURU WAS TELLING ME........HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND MY GIBERISHHHHHHHH

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
That MIGHT be true but, countless dyno tests have shown that the difference is neglible. Unl;ess you are building an all out race car where every hp counts, go with the one that you think sounds the best.

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
When I researched exhaust options an x-pipe only made a couple of horsepower on the dyno. Most of the restriction on our cars is in the muffs. Thats why I don't have an x-pipe. Maybe someone has dyno results they can show.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
The biggest restriction in the stock exhaust system is the four factory cats, not the mufflers.

2001asp -- There is this key on the left side of your keyboard called a "Caps Lock" key. Don't be afraid of pressing it every now and then. :)

There are legitimate and dyno tested differences in the peak horsepower and torque curves of an H-pipe versus X-pipe. An X-pipe has scavaging characteristics that an H-pipe does not possess. At the power levels of most, choose the one you like for the sound it produces. When you start looking for an exact torque curve or a specific horsepower peak, then you can start worrying about which one has an advantage for your setup.

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
Quote: "The biggest restriction in the stock exhaust system is the four factory cats, not the mufflers".

Not according to Magnaflow...They provide the most data that I have been able to locate. Maybe you know something I haven't seen...

Magnaflow Exhaust Dyno
Muffler upgrade:
"Our first re-run on the rollers showed we were on the right track. We found 296-peak horses at 6,000 rpm -that's a gain of almost 20 horses just from the muffler upgrade! Torque numbers increased to 297 lb-ft at 5,000 rpm. That's 20 lb-ft more. It's certainly got a meaner exhaust note, too."

X-pipe added to the mufflers:
"The results were not as eye-opening as the mufflers, but we still picked up a couple horsepower (297 at 6,00 rpm) and some torque (298 lb-ft at 4,500 rpm)".

Last edited:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
all I have is seat of the pants dyno numbers for you. The x gave me the most, followed by the intake, then pulleys, tune, catback. I did swap mufflers at one point. My catback is flowmaster, when a baffle came loose, I swapped to magnapacks. Didn't notice any difference except in sound. I'd be weary of "dyno tests" put out by manufactures. I'm not saying they flat out lie, but they are trying to sell you a product. Their product. They won't show their product in a negative light.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
There is no way that the two factory mufflers offer more restriction to the factory exhaust than the four catalytic converters (2 pre and 2 cats). While I cannot dispute the Magnaflow info you posted because they obviously did the testing, I cannot enitirely agree with it either. Good reading, nevertheless.

I have had and worked on quite a few Mustangs (5.0 and 4.6) and an F150 or two where the mid-pipe swap was the most effective difference felt in the exhaust work. Any time you take out four honeycombs and replace them with two high-flows, you are reducing the restriction.

Here is an article I found that MM&FF did on a 96 Cobra. That system has 6 cats vs our 4, but you can see their findings.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.c...96_ford_mustang_project_car_part_3/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread