'14 GT/CS or '13 Boss 302?

scottq60

Ok, guys...here's my question.

Two months ago I traded my '12 F150 FX4 for a '14 Oxford White GT/CS because I was able to get a great deal on it and my dealer told me that IF he could get a '13 Boss...he'd be paying OVER MSRP for it and couldn't save me any $$ on it. I LOVE my CS, but REALLY want a Boss, so I found one, GHIG for STARTING MSRP but with the Recaro option. TOTAL MSRP is $45,960...I can get it for $42,460.

Should I trade my GT/CS for it, knowing that I'll have to pay over $2k in sales tax less than 3 months after paying it on the GT/CS as well as the price difference? My CS is LOADED...only lacking the glassback roof and Brembos. I don't really care about all the bells/whistles but they are nice. I've loved the Bosses since I first saw the '69 and '70 Bosses new on the dealer lots. My father and uncle actually watched Parnelli Jones and George Follmer race them at Mid-Ohio back in 1970, finishing 1-2. I love the racing "heritage" though I know these new cars are not the same. I believe they're FAR superior to the 69-70 cars. Of course, 40+ years of technology makes the difference.

Here's my GT/CS:

100_0866_zps21cd0dfd.jpg

100_0865_zps6c2683b8.jpg

100_0857_zpse70b8505.jpg

What would you do, given this choice?

scottq60

No doubt in my mind about that...but I live on a fixed income (disabled vet) and trading would more than double my payment, so I've decided to keep what I have. I realize the Boss is FAR MORE than tape stripes and an extra 24hp (as some people believe), but I've decided to keep what I've got and build on it...for a LOT less $$ than what the trade would cost me. I wouldn't drive the Boss to the full extent of its capabilities anyway (how many owners do?), so I'm better off keeping what I have, as much as I love the Boss.

scottq60

Thanks, LostPony...it was a wrenching decision for me...but, as much as I'd LOVE to own a Boss...I'm better off, financially, keeping what I have. I love it too, so it's not a total loss. Like you said, I still have a nice (and more than capable) Mustang. :D I guess I'm not ready for a Boss anyway, since I like the leather seats in my CS better than the cloth Recaros. Now...if the Boss interior was leather... hmmmm.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Colt .45

Established Member
No doubt in my mind about that...but I live on a fixed income (disabled vet) and trading would more than double my payment, so I've decided to keep what I have. I realize the Boss is FAR MORE than tape stripes and an extra 24hp (as some people believe), but I've decided to keep what I've got and build on it...for a LOT less $$ than what the trade would cost me. I wouldn't drive the Boss to the full extent of its capabilities anyway (how many owners do?), so I'm better off keeping what I have, as much as I love the Boss.

Well in that case, keep what you have. Only go up if you can afford it. That's the reason Im not in a GT500. :lol1:

scottq60

I hear ya, Colt .45! I have one btw, a Colt Mark IV Series 70 (love it!). I probably should've kept my 08 GT500 vert (my Avatar)...I just couldn't get past wanting a coupe (seems stupid looking back on it...it was a beautiful and awesome car). I've had a '12 base GT and now the GT/CS since then. I'll probably be keeping the GT/CS a LOOOOOOOOONG time :D I don't see myself ever owning another GT500..at least not a new one..that is WAY beyond my finances. I only had the '08 because the dealership got it in a dealer trade in '08 right about the time the housing market and economy *hit the bed. They had it for 2 years and I got it for $40k ($12k under sticker). So that was the only way I was able to afford it then. Anyway...I'll enjoy my GT/CS...it's more car than I need and it's LOADED...just lacks Brembos (which I can add) and the glassback roof. I can live without either.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member

I do.

But then I wake up...:(

Definitely looking forward to getting some track time with it and getting to know it even better. Awesome cars but I think you're making the right decision by sticking with what you have.

Grant808

Established Member
If you're not going to track the car, keep the GT/CS and enjoy the creature comforts and leather.

The Boss definitely is a much more capable and awesome car...if you're going to push your limits as a driver. Otherwise it's just wasted.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Imo the hit you will take on that 14 will be way more than what I think would be worth tradeing to the boss for... I love my boss, but I think I would enjoy a GT too.... I would save the dough and keep what you have!! The grass is greener on the other side... In this case the Boss is the better track car, but overall is it better?
So what happens when you get the Boss and there is a deal on a new GT500? Then what....lol. sometimes you gotta stay put.
Your 14' CS is bad ass!

Last edited:

GHIG302

Dude

Your GT is pretty nice. If it was a 2009, I would say trade that bad boy in on the Boss. It is a new car, not worth trading it in now and owing all that extra money.

Dave

thebull

150 or Bust
Established Member
Imo the hit you will take on that 14 will be way more than what I think would be worth tradeing to the boss for... I love my boss, but I think I would enjoy a GT too.... I would save the dough and keep what you have!! The grass is greener on the other side... In this case the Boss is the better track car, but overall is it better?
So what happens when you get the Boss and there is a deal on a new GT500? Then what....lol. sometimes you gotta stay put.
Your 14' CS is bad ass!

Well said Frank!!

scottq60

Thanks, guys for all the encouragement! I'm the type of person that (though I can no longer afford to be after becoming disabled/unemployed) likes to have the "best" of any particular item that I can afford...and I believe the Boss 302 is the pinnacle of all-around current model Mustangs. Yes...the GT500 is a horsepower monster and an awesome car in its own right, but I believe the Boss is the more balanced all-around performer and has the most impressive heritage. My only hesitation in staying put with my GT/CS is the fact that I believe one day the Boss will be worth WAY more than any 12/13 GT/CS. As much as these cars cost, it would be comforting knowing that I chose the car that I not only feel is the better car, but one that will retain more of its value and may even (eventually) gain in value. But... at this point, I believe keeping what I have is the best (and most fiscally responsible) choice for me. I may be fortunate enough to own a Boss someday...it just probably won't be a new one since the window on obtaining a brand new one is closing a bit more every day.

IamRacerX

Established Member
I seriously doubt the Boss will be worth more than what you will lose on your CS and the taxes paid for the trade. I mean they have made a bunch of Bosses....

scottq60

I seriously doubt the Boss will be worth more than what you will lose on your CS and the taxes paid for the trade. I mean they have made a bunch of Bosses....

Thanks. I'm sure you're probably right. I don't kid myself by thinking that any of our cars will ever be worth more than retail, unless you buy it (non-dealer prepped), trailer it home, put it up on blocks for 50 years, then maybe.

There's a local guy that sold a '93 Cobra R that was non-dealer prepped and only saw car show duty. He sold it recently with less than 300 original miles for ~$50k...so it took him 20 years to make that kind of profit on a car that never saw it's intended use (a SHAME, IMO). I'm sure it's sitting in someone's collection and will never see a track. I suppose it's good for at least one example of a non-driven/non-abused car of that type to survive, but I'll never own one.

I've just always had a HUGE soft-spot for Bosses, since I was a child and had the Hot Wheels Sizzler gold Boss 302, and my father and uncle went to Mid-Ohio in 1970 to watch Parnelli and George Follmer take 1-2 in that race. I was 9 years old when the '70 Boss 302's hit the showrooms and I distinctly remember seeing them and '70 Mach 1's on the lot at Stenger's Ford in Dayton, Ohio. That's an indelible memory for me. I've forgotten a lot more than I've remembered over the years, but my love for Mustangs isn't one of them. I've been fortunate to have owned a few GT's, Cobra's and even a Shelby through the years. If only I still had them all...that would be a nice little collection :D

IamRacerX

Established Member
Sounds to me like you might have been better off waiting for a boss rather than settleing on the CS. Make no mistake though, your CS is bad ass. I can however understand what you are saying about your memories of your childhood. I too have one, when I was 3 years old my aunts boy friend had a 65 fastback and would take me for a ride and let me steer... Even though I was 3 I still remember! Been a Mustang guy ever since!

scottq60

Sounds to me like you might have been better off waiting for a boss rather than settleing on the CS. Make no mistake though, your CS is bad ass. I can however understand what you are saying about your memories of your childhood. I too have one, when I was 3 years old my aunts boy friend had a 65 fastback and would take me for a ride and let me steer... Even though I was 3 I still remember! Been a Mustang guy ever since!

When I bought the CS, my friend (the salesman) told me that the Boss's were going for $45k+ and they would most likely have to pay MSRP+ to even get one and I would have to pay whatever they did to get it. I shouldn't have taken his word for it, but we've been friends for ~10 years so I didn't question what he was telling me when I should've. I should've checked myself before pulling the trigger. All I had to do to find out different was check ebay...they're all over there. Granted, most have BIN's of MSRP or greater, but I did find that GHIG one for $3500 less than MSRP.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I like my CS fine and I'm hoping it will bring me many years of good service as long as I take care of it. My brother has a 65 2+2 - A code, 289/4bbl/4spd, red with red deluxe interior...originally Wimbledon White with the red interior. Dad restored it back in 1981...needs to be restored again, but it's a solid car.

scottq60

BOSS, but it looks like you made up your mind, and made the smart decision lol

Thanks, charba951. As you've no doubt read, I like my CS (a LOT, actually)...just kinda had my mind set on a Boss. But it'll pass :D

Notice you're from Fort Meade...small world. I was stationed there in the Air Force from '94 to 2000, then as a contractor from 2000 until January of last year. I have a lot of friends there. Your GT is TOUGH...I LOVE what you've done with it!

Users who are viewing this thread