14 5.0 vs Subaru STI

RussianStang

Established Member
Another magical event has happened last night, and no it wasn't in a strip club. Last night I was driving on the 101 in the anti immigration state that has the worst sheriff and the happy war senator. After my soccer game I went on an adventure that has brought me to finally capture a special creature called the STI 05-07 body. I passed him normally because there was no traffic ahead of him and we were approaching the loop 51 to 101. While flying through the loop that creature was on my ass the whole time. Finally as we got on the 101 I told him to line up and he listened.

First run I was in 3rd gear at about 60 mph. I let him start it off and right as I put it into 4th i jumped him by probably just a bumper and started to pull slowly, shutting it off at around 120-130.

2nd run I was in 2nd gear at about 40mph. let him engage the race and i barley pulled a bumper on him as i shifted into 3rd I pulled a little more and shut it off at 4th gear being ahead of him by half a car.

Gave each others thumbs up and went our separate ways.

That STI was not stock. I have no clue what was done to it but the turbo sounded loud as ****!!! The only reason I know it wasnt stock is because i used to own an evo and I know how those cars sound in stock form.

Happy hump day

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
I had a '13 STI...If it was the older style you mention it was actually a quicker car than the one I owned in stock form...With a few mods it's an easy 350awhp car at 3200lbs...You did a good job pulling him.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Yeah those evo's and sti's respond very well to mods. My evo x was about 390 to the wheels with bolt ons and a good tune. Nice kill.

Posted via Topify on Android

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I've always been a fan of the 2004-2007 STi's and have had a soft spot for the 2009-2014 hatchbacks. I was actually in the market for one last year but at the price of one I just got a used Boss instead.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
And from what I understand if you want anything more than 400awhp from them you have to start beefing the internals

RussianStang

Established Member
I've always been a fan of the 2004-2007 STi's and have had a soft spot for the 2009-2014 hatchbacks. I was actually in the market for one last year but at the price of one I just got a used Boss instead.

You can never go wrong with a Boss :)

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Nice win. But not sure what sheriff Joe and McCain have to do with your race since your avatar says Phoenix?

I suspect you've got 'friends' who came here less than legally

Last edited:

DSS

Established Member
good kill OP, if your mod list on your sig is legit, i would have to say its prolly just a decent running STi with a full exhaust

And from what I understand if you want anything more than 400awhp from them you have to start beefing the internals

who the hell told you that?

i got two buddies that makes mid 500ish whp and another just a few whp over 600, both have been running strong for nearly 2 years now, and runs great, its all in the right set up and a very good tune

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
good kill OP, if your mod list on your sig is legit, i would have to say its prolly just a decent running STi with a full exhaust

i got two buddies that makes mid 500ish whp and another just a few whp over 600, both have been running strong for nearly 2 years now, and runs great, its all in the right set up and a very good tune

I was told the same when I had my STi, anything over 380whp and it would be on borrowed time with the stock pistons. I never pushed it that far and sold the car because the seats sucked and hurt my back but that was the most fun car I've ever had.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

Got the same info when I had my Evo X. Apparently, anything over or near 400wtq on the 4b11t would result in a window in your block. Pretty much the reason I got rid of the car, I didn't want to drop the money to upgrade the internals. I'd be interested to see what kind of tq numbers your buddies are running since, I've heard, it was more the tq than the hp that was causing failures.

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member

I was told on North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club forum. BTW that was another thing that turned me off to subarus. The community was not very inviting or helpful. They hounded you if you dare ask a question in the forums. If I ever do get an STi I'd honestly come here and ask for any questions

Riptide

Established Member
My friend with an 08sti also told me. 400+ is the danger zone. Know of at least one local that came apart around 450. Pistons are the weak link iirc.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member

An STi with full exhaust as in a turbo back and catback? Running with a coyote that closely? I respect your knowledge on Subarus from what I have read from you over the years, but with all due respect that's bs. That would mean my old na 4v runs with coyotes and that's simply not true. I've only run one STi but it was full exhaust with a tune (292/322 awesome numbers!) and I edged it in the top of every gear. Some races it was 1 car, some races it was half a car. My cobra would be lucky to put down 280whp 275tq with my mods; o/r x, catback, 4.10s. Subarus are awesome and I fully do wish I could afford one or an evo, I'd switch in a heartbeat! But a bolt on STi is not going to touch a coyote unless its from a dig and the 5.0 driver isn't the greatest.
The STI weighs more than 3200.
Not by much. Aren't they roughl 3350lbs?

Wildman113

Established Member

It doesn't matter how you are "set up", those cars crack the piston ringlands even in stock form. Cylinder number 4 is notorious for cracking.

Even if you replaced the pistons, the rods still can't handle over 400WHP for anything longer than a few tuning sessions. Your friends must be working miracles...

Not by much. Aren't they roughl 3350lbs?

Stock STis from the 04-07 generation are about 3450lbs curb weight.

Last edited:

zacmustang03

Established Member

Ya thats bs

Users who are viewing this thread