130 amp alternator...?

St8-E

Established Member
Anyone done this on a cobra with good results? I was thinking about doing this...any good places that sell a dummy proof kit?

jspalmer01

Established Member
I sent my factory alternator to a guy in Tenn and he rebuilt it to 130 amp and it still looks like the stock setup. I can dig up the info if anyone is interested.

St8-E

Established Member
I sent my factory alternator to a guy in Tenn and he rebuilt it to 130 amp and it still looks like the stock setup. I can dig up the info if anyone is interested.

Yeah, I am def. interested...I don't want to have to grind the alternator bracket! Do you rem. how much? I am also assuming you re-did all the wiring...

WillyB93

Established Member
I would hope so. The stock wires are not big enough to handle the amps that beefing up the alternator would produce.

jspalmer01

Established Member
I don't remember how I got the guys name as it's been a few years but here is his name and address:

John Dobbs
1108 Jones Street
Old Hickory, Tenn 37138

It was either a 120 or 130 amp conversion using the original alternator. It was plug and play to the original wiring. Works great and not had any issues after several years. I can't find the invoice so don't know the exact price....seems like it was around $100.

Last edited:

red95gts

Established Member
If it plugs into all of the factory wiring, I would strongly recommend against that. The black/orange wire back to the starter solenoid is not nearly large enough for the increased current capacity of the 130A alternator. Also, the factory plug is notorious for connection/heat/fire issues....

jspalmer01

Established Member
If it plugs into all of the factory wiring, I would strongly recommend against that. The black/orange wire back to the starter solenoid is not nearly large enough for the increased current capacity of the 130A alternator. Also, the factory plug is notorious for connection/heat/fire issues....

OK thanks for the heads up. I'l need to look at that.

cobra93

Established Member
John,

When mine was still on he street, I ran an Anderson 150 amp alternator. I ran a bigger gauged wire, with an external fuse from the alternator to the fender mounted solenoid. I can help you with this. Bring it over some time or call me.

Marc

buddha93

Established Member

Yep, nice catch Darell. I used the PA alt and made up my own cable and fuse assembly, sourcing it from the aftermarket stereo sector.

jspalmer01

Established Member
John,

When mine was still on he street, I ran an Anderson 150 amp alternator. I ran a bigger gauged wire, with an external fuse from the alternator to the fender mounted solenoid. I can help you with this. Bring it over some time or call me.

Marc

OK thanks Marc.

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
This guy is from Charlotte and has a sold a zillion upgrade kits on Corral and Ebay. Good rep.
Here

Last edited:

jspalmer01

Established Member
So are you guys aware of an upgrade wiring harness you can buy that would replace the factory harness? Since I am using the factory alternator body I want to just replace that with a beefier wiring harness. I am not planning to replace with the 3G upgrade. Thanks.

RydeOn

SVTeam
Established Member
You dont even need to touch the factory harness. Wit the 3g you can disconnect the factory harness, jumper the regulator to the charge terminal and run 4 gauge wiring all the way back.

And if you have a supercharger there is no bracket grinding ;)

Users who are viewing this thread