"13 GT500 vs ZL1 Track Test Inside Line

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
I would say the only way to win this race would be to buy a slightly used ZR1. It looks like these cars are to close to say either is a clear winner.

mineralstangt

Established Member
Is it me or were there 6 tests performed and the GT500 took 4 out of 6 including braking? ... Sooo less points on the board wins in Edmunds book ...

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
With the Camaro being several hundred pounds heavier yet still holding a slight advantage I'd say that wiz bang suspension is doing a good job.

Actual road course times, same day will be much more interesting. It is very evident how the 1320 will go. I would like to see the Livernois car go up against the Lethal car. Run what you brung, no excuses either way.

This is what I've been saying all along. At the strip, the outcome is a no-brainer. But I've yet to see a test at a real road course, back to back in the same conditions. I'm just curious to see what the results would be.

Davey

Established Member
They didn't answer the really important question... Which one is better at grinding the gears shifting into 2nd?

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
What's all the bickering about?? 10 years ago we had a 330hp top of the line LS1 Camaro SS on its last hurrah and a 390 hp Cobra on the horizon. These new variants are leaps and bounds better no matter which camp you're in. And a Chevy guy isn't going to buy a Mustang, and a Ford guy isn't going to buy a Camaro. So I don't know why the Chevy guys are trying to convince anyone that the Camaro is better and why the Ford guys are trying to convince anyone that the Mustang is better. And anyone fortunate enough to be able to afford one of these 2 cars that may not be biased towards either and is on the fence will probably go test drive each and take home the one that feels best to them. We have variety for a reason....different strokes for different folks.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
Just wait until the 13' ZL1 comes out so you can compare them equally. You can't compare a 12' to a 13'. That's not fair.

So what your saying is that the ZL1 is going to try to match the GT500 in power? Like I said before not going to happen. That means that the ZR1 needs to be well into the 700 range just so that it won't have more power than it's flag ship car. They might go up to 600hp in ZL1 but doubt the will cover the 662 the Ford is making. Not fair? What are 5 years old?

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Just wait until the 13' ZL1 comes out so you can compare them equally. You can't compare a 12' to a 13'. That's not fair.

Yes it is. Al Op stated this car was going to compete with and beat the '13GT500. STFU fanboy. Its funny you have svt in you SN but you swing from the loins of the ZL1 in damn near every thread.

Thats a strong difference on a road course or back road. The ZL1 carries more speed and has higher mechanical grip as well. That could spell trouble on shorter road courses for the GT500. Long courses will favor the GT500 for sure. I'd still take the GT500 but the handling advantage of the ZL1 is worth noting.

Here is what im wonderin... Clearly the suspension on the ZL1 works well since its heavier and outperforms the GT500 on the skid and slalom, But how much of the difference is due to tires? The ZL1 does use huge 345 tires vs the 285-295 on the shelby. Handling and grip will and should be better with a 50+mm difference in favor of the ZL1.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Tell us something we didn't know. Pulley swap and GT500 is dead.

No, just stupid. But the video shows us what we already knew.

Yeah, amazing what mods and a poor driver can do.

Well, wait until they're both on a track with a decent driver. I'm interested in seeing that.

Wait until they actually run on a track, genius.

Ok Ill feed the troll. Whats your problem bro? You do nothing but support the ZL1 and give the '13 no love at all. Most guys/gals on here give both respect but not you you're all ZL1 or no car at all. Why is your name SVT4EVER22? Shouldnt it be CHEVY4EVERORNUTHINATALL22? :poke: :shrug:

'13 is badass by the way. Hit a grandslam with this one. Cant wait to see what chevy rebounds with for their 2013 model ZL1, and the Z does have the handling down for sure.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Here is what im wonderin... Clearly the suspension on the ZL1 works well since its heavier and outperforms the GT500 on the skid and slalom, But how much of the difference is due to tires? The ZL1 does use huge 345 tires vs the 285-295 on the shelby. Handling and grip will and should be better with a 50+mm difference in favor of the ZL1.

ZL1

Tire make and model Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2
Tire type Performance front and rear
Tire size, front P285/35ZR20
Tire size, rear P305/35ZR20

'13 GT500

Tire make and model Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2
Tire type Summer Performance front and rear
Tire size, front P265/40ZR19
Tire size, rear P285/35ZR20

You'd think the GT500 could benefit from some more tire, but here's one man's explanation.

[youtube_browser]wik6h8TBrgs[/youtube_browser]

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
After watching and reading again, where is the road course test in that report? I seen opinions ,but I never read anything or even watch them run on a road course.

Svt4ever22

Established Member
Ok Ill feed the troll. Whats your problem bro? You do nothing but support the ZL1 and give the '13 no love at all. Most guys/gals on here give both respect but not you you're all ZL1 or no car at all. Why is your name SVT4EVER22? Shouldnt it be CHEVY4EVERORNUTHINATALL22? :poke: :shrug:

'13 is badass by the way. Hit a grandslam with this one. Cant wait to see what chevy rebounds with for their 2013 model ZL1, and the Z does have the handling down for sure.

You obviously don't read much of my posts. I was joking on the first post. I've even said I'd rather have a 13' GT500 than a 12' ZL1. But I do LOL at your comment about how most people respect the ZL1. All I do is try to bring people back to reality and the fact that a 12' GT500 is no better than the ZL1. So I guess that means they're crap also. I like all cars. Im no nut hugger.

101blur

Established Member
so give the gt500 a set of lowering springs and pan-hard bar, and give the ZL-1 a pulley and do a rematch.

walt

ZL1 for lunch
Established Member
The road course test was them running the cars on back roads.......with nothing to record the event..... Pretty damn conclusive if you ask me...:banana:

That's as bad as Obama claiming that he saved the economy with no real proof that he did while it keeps getting worse.

Users who are viewing this thread