13+ GT500 fuel pump system in 11+GT's

scholle

Established Member
There are few threads mentioning it but most are old. An example
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...0-fuel-system/page2&highlight=GT500+fuel+pump

It does not look like that much to me. On the surface its cheaper than a return style replacement system and possibly less hassle than running new new and extra lines. The dual pump assembly is priced fairly low. Then you'll need another driver module, wiring etc.
Example on from www.fordparts.com 2013 GT500 listing for a fuel pump assy for $331.64

[h=2]Part Name: Fuel Pump and Sender Assembly[/h]Brand: Motorcraft
FordMotorcraft.gif
Part Number: 9H307(PFS-953)
Price: $331.64

I've looked around to try and gather some fitment , parts differences, or other misc info. I'll paste some of it here.

From: http://www.mustangandfords.com/car-reviews/m5lp-1209-2013-shelby-gt500-chassis-development/fuel-system.html
**Fuel System
The first clue of the upgraded GT500 fuel system was the change from 46.7-lb/hr to 54.8-lb/hr injectors listed in our engine story. Feeding those lawn sprinklers was clearly going to take more than last year's system could flow.
As the SVT team brainstormed its options, the staff realized replacing the GT500 steel gas tank with the Mustang GT's plastic version would save 7 pounds, and that two Mustang GT fuel pumps could supply the required 300 liters per hour. A suitable fuel pump driver module holds sway over the twin pumps.
Because the Mustang GT fuel tank is a saddle-type slung over the driveshaft, there is a jet-style transfer pump inside it. Its job is to shuttle fuel from the passenger saddle to the driver-side saddle, where the main fuel pump resides. And with the 5.8-liter's rapacious appetite for fuel--it can about empty the tank in 25 minutes of track driving--the jet pump tubing was enlarged, too.
Considering Ford Racing has sold more GT500 fuel systems in recent years than SVT has in new cars, everyone is expecting this new GT500 fuel system to be a hot aftermarket item as well. SVT says fitting a Mustang GT with the '13 GT500 tank, pumps, filters, and electronic drivers is a cost-effective way of gaining a no-excuses, bolt-in fuel system. But while the parts bolt in, they don't plug in; some electronic magic is required. SVT figures anyone who's merged a previous GT500 fuel system into a Mustang GT will use the same approach with the '13 version. ***

Fuel pump control info
From VMP's website.
*** In the case of 13-14 GT500, the computer is already modulating fuel pump duty cycle and only giving the car the pressure and flow it needs. For tuning, we recommending you reduce the Fuel Pump Voltage Table (under Returnless fuel pump) by 1-2 volts all over and fine tune from there by datalogging. On the 11-14 5.0L Mustang the factory single pump is modulated between high and low speeds by the computer. We recommend changing the high speed threshold in the tune (under Returnless fuel pump) from 0.80 lb/min to 3 lb/min (see below) on blower cars. On naturally aspirated cars this value can be raised to 4-5lb/min for NA tunes and lowered back down to 2-3lb/min on the nitrous tune. The same values would be recommended for cars running E85.***

Some part numbers I've looked through.

BR3Z-9275-B Electric Fuel Pump, Right
In Tank Assy.; Incl.Level Sender; Jet Pump

DR3Z-9H307-B Electric Fuel Pump, Left
In Tank Assy.; Incl.Level Sender

Electric Fuel Pump - 2013 Ford Mustang (BR3Z9275B) same listing for all 11-14 mustangs including 5.8 gt500.Just the individual pump??
Fuel Pump Driver Module - 2013 Ford Mustang (BR3Z9D372C) same listing for all 11-14 mustangs including 5.8 gt500.

RenderIllustration.ashx
RenderIllustration.ashx
RenderIllustration.ashx
RenderIllustration.ashx

Last edited:

FiveSlow

Established Member
Bump for more infor! Why don't more people run the GT500 stuff? It seems way cheaper than the fore stuff, seems like a great alternative for someone with a stock motor or mild build that wants to run e85.

scholle

Established Member
I suppose I'll just do it. I don't need racecar fuel system. I believe I can do it with a reasonable amount of money and there wont be any more wiring or plumbing than one of the aftermarket systems.
The 13+ GT500 system has been easily supporting *gasoline* some pretty big HP numbers.
I have read and been told the GT/copperhead ecu will support boost sensing fuel control if someone wanted to go that route. Some BAPs like JMS can be run with a hobbs switch. I'll probably just go with a steady state 16v voltage booster.

mhyjek

Established Member
What kind of hp can it support? What kind of $ will it take? When is beefcake going to have a package for this?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
What kind of hp can it support? What kind of $ will it take? When is beefcake going to have a package for this?

not sure what the costs of retroing the gt500 in would be.

we offer some killer deals on a stage 1 fore system for pump and e85 setups already. the nice thing is those setups are upgradeable to a stage 2 or 3 or 4 for minimal cost

scholle

Established Member

Um.. yeah, that link is in my original post. Still no answers as to why it wont work other than figuring out the fuel pressure control.

Info on HP and a stock GT-500 fuel system from the Kenne Bell website. ---
** Kenne Bell 4.2LC Kit, 20V BOOST-A-PUMP® and 200lb Injector Dynamics injectors with
100% stock pumps, fuel lines, rails, etc. Our goal was to determine just how much HP was possible with ONLY a Kenne Bell
Mammoth™ Kit and E85 on a 100% stock Shelby with stock fuel system. Note: E85 requires 30% more fuel, so if run on Shell
unleaded race gas (30% less fuel), it gives you some idea of just how much fuel the BOOST-A-PUMP® is capable of - 1000HP with
E85 and more on race fuel. ***

The 13+ GT500 uses the copperhead pcm same as the 11+ GT's. It may be possible to overlay the table or "write in" a new one to control the fuel pump duty cycle directly from the pcm. Something like this ( from VMP )
View attachment 24558
That part I'm not sure of. A fuel pressure sensor would need to be adapted to to that.
There are other ways to do the same sort of thing though. Speed controller --- http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-page/accessories-electronics/16306/fuel-pump-speed-controller/
and
http://www.jmschip.com/powermax-v2-fuelmax-internal-boost-activate-plug-play-dual-shelby - I like this option.

Good info -- http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/FORD_RACING_EFI_TECH_TIPS_s/335.htm

Lots of good information here - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9anfxsXGSjwQhbdFAlVHP3CJ6p1yv93m

Users who are viewing this thread